Home Off Topic

Daytona ... racing on the beach back in the day

GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,086 AG
Looks like fun !!!

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”

Replies

• fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 378 Deckhand
    Now that's what I call a real flyover!
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,688 Moderator
    Never saw the race on the beach. First 500 I saw was 1964. Lorenzen won I think. Hitch hiked down there from Atlanta and caught a ride back with some buddies.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,683 Admiral
    I was to young to remember that. 
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
  • Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    When one of my tenants moved-in, he used a large box trailer that he borrowed from his friend down in the Daytona area.  His friend got the trailer second-hand and it had been painted, or else the old decals / writing had been removed - I don't remember exactly. Anyhow, you could still read what the trailer used to say on the side - Smokey's Automotive Service - Best **** Garage in Town!
    23895.gif
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,928 Admiral
    When my mother graduated from FSU in 1953, her first job was at NASCAR headquarters in Daytona at the old Streamline Hotel. I think she dated Big Bill France and a driver or two, but she never went into details. She did say that she was the first woman to qualify for the Century Club, driving a car 100mph average over one mile, both ways down the beach. I found on Google that one driver did 157mph avg to set the record.

It would be a blast to bring back the beach race in some 1950s replica race cars someday!
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,928 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #8
    Also, my mother and father worked together at the Orlando Sentinel in 1959, and covered the first Daytona 500 in 1959 for the paper. I was born almost 9 months later. I should've been named Fireball.
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,683 Admiral
    I would of been 4 in 59.  I would of liked to be there.  Might of remembered a little bit.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,688 Moderator
    Cane Pole said:
    Also, my mother and father worked together at the Orlando Sentinel in 1959, and covered the first Daytona 500 in 1959 for the paper. I was born almost 9 months later. I should've been named Fireball.
    23 and me might be interesting for you. :smile:

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,086 AG
    Cane Pole said:
    It would be a blast to bring back the beach race in some 1950s replica race cars someday!
    I thought the same thing when watching this video. 

But I wouldn't stand as close to the track as they did back then. 
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”