Home General Hunting

FWC changes via Governor DeSantis

Grove1Grove1 Posts: 85 Deckhand
edited January 2019 in General Hunting #1
Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

https://www.tampabay.com/environment/desantis-plan-move-wildlife-cops-to-agency-not-known-for-enforcing-rules-20190115/

May be too soon to tell. Does this mean FWC would lose officers and have less out in the field? Or does this mean they would have more time to enforce hunting/fishing infractions? Does this revert back to the pre-1998 GFC days?

Make sure to read the article before you comment :)   Not that it gives a whole lot of information....

Replies

• gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,439 Captain
    maybe they wont be such **** any more
    living life as i like
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,849 AG
    Sounds like DEP will enforce pollution issues and FWC will continue to enforce hunting and fishing laws. I could be wrong.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,108 Admiral
    micci_man said:
    Sounds like DEP will enforce pollution issues and FWC will continue to enforce hunting and fishing laws. I could be wrong.
    This................
  • EnyarEnyar Posts: 101 Deckhand
    Why take officers from FWC though?
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Enyar said:
    Why take officers from FWC though?

The officers were originally transferred from DEP to FWC when it was decided to make DEP a non-enforcement agency, therefore making DEP enforcement officers a useless operation. Now DEP is evidently returning to a posture of enforcing environmental laws so they need their cops back! Simple!! :s
  • shempshemp Posts: 681 Officer
    Could be wrong, but any LEO in FL can enforce any law HOWEVER...

...the way I see this is FWC will continue to FOCUS on WILDLIFE laws [game violations, etc.] and environmental LEOs would FOCUS on environmental violations/crimes. 

Not sure who focuses on boating violations, but reckon it would continue to be FWC. 
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,849 AG
    For FWC to have 835 sworn officers, I sure don't see them very often at all. That could be 12 officers per county and still have 31 left over. Where are all of these officers at?
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 1,060 Officer
    Vilano inlet checking coolers for red snapper, not chasing shots in the woods for sure
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    micci_man said:
    For FWC to have 835 sworn officers, I sure don't see them very often at all. That could be 12 officers per county and still have 31 left over. Where are all of these officers at?
    think bikini's
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 1,060 Officer
    Vilano inlet checking coolers for red snapper, not chasing shots in the woods for sure
  • CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,876 Captain
    micci_man said:
    Don't know where they are at when they are on their shift. But when off shift they are all making gravy money guarding cruise ships in Port, road construction crews, sports bars, etc. See many more working their extra jobs than their regular. Of course those probably pay better also. :)