I broke my fishing guide’s rod

saltybluegrasssaltybluegrass Posts: 73 Greenhorn
edited January 17 in General Fishing #1
We were wade fishing in the Indian river. I smacked the lure against the rod and it broke an eyelet off. 
He never got mad. He handed me amother pole. 
After we fjnished , i asked if i could make it right. He offered that i bring 15-20$ to him sometime for the repair. 
Im very poor now, but in my previous life of a lot of money, i still want to buy this man a new pole. 
What would you do? 
And does anyone know of a 7’rod 3/4 oz max lure medium rod salt/brackish for trout snook etc with the name Wave in the title? Thats all i saw when i looked at the rod. 
thanks 

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,234 Captain
    Why not just reimburse him for the repair as he suggested?  EZPZ. Fishing rod guides "eyelets" break all the time.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ChonggChongg Posts: 594 Officer
    You're probably good with doing what he said. I think he'd prefer the money to repair the right rod as opposed to you buying the wrong one. He may also be able to write off the repair cost...
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,066 Captain
    Clients have broken my rods many times.
    That's the cost of doing business.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,420 Moderator
    THe name "Wave" is probably an AirWave Rod made by Tsunami and could be anywhere from $50 to $200.  The cost to replace a guide is less than $20.00 and not a hard job for any rod shop or tackle shop that does repairs.  Send him the $20.00 he requested and forget about it.  Like Scoutboat said, it's the cost of doing business and the cost of the repair would be appreciated
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 677 Officer
    Yeah thats not a big deal, just give him the 20 bucks he asked for and I am sure he will be very happy, add in an extra six pack and he will be the friendliest guide youll ever meet!
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,939 Captain
    I've had rods snap in half, dropped in the water, countless eyes broken... it's just part of the cost of doing business.  When I have been in your shoes it was more important to me that the client offered to make it right even though I would never take a dime for it.  On the flip side, if I was the one that broke another person's rod I'd want to fix it or replace it just like you're doing.  Just do whatever puts your mind at ease...
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    Instagram is @crooked_rod_charters
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 7,944 Admiral
    edited January 18 #8
    We were wade fishing in the Indian river. I smacked the lure against the rod and it broke an eyelet off. 
    He never got mad. He handed me another pole. 
    After we finished , I asked if I could make it right. He offered that I bring 15-20$ to him sometime for the repair. 
    I'm very poor now, but in my previous life of a lot of money, I still want to buy this man a new pole. 
    What would you do? 
    And does anyone know of a 7’rod 3/4 oz max lure medium rod salt/brackish for trout snook etc with the name Wave in the title? That's all i saw when I looked at the rod. 
    thanks 

With the skill and accuracy that a good rod wrapper has, he can replace the guide and make it pretty close to exact in color ( wrap ) and performance. It is a perfectly good rod needing a new guide put on. Fix it, not replace it.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• superdupersuperduper Posts: 1,925 Captain
    ill fix it for 15.00
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,144 Captain
    Since I build every
    rod on my skiff.. I either repair or replace rods damaged or destroyed while fishing.  I wouldn’t think of asking for a penny.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,655 Captain
    edited January 24 #12
    Scoutboat said:
    This. I’ve never asked for a customer to pay for a rod. 

Now or if they intentionally snapped it over their knee or threw it in the water it may be another story. 

Guy broke my $100 scrub brush last week using it to catch himself as he almost fell out of the boat.  :D water temp was in the 50’s. 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,475 AG
    nick said:
    Scoutboat said:
    This. I’ve never asked for a customer to pay for a rod. 

Now or if they intentionally snapped it over their knee or threw it in the water it may be another story. 

Guy broke my $100 scrub brush last week using it to catch himself as he almost fell out of the boat.  :D water temp was in the 50’s. 
    If I busted as many lower units as you... a rod wouldnt even make me blink.  ;)
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,655 Captain
    My broken scrub brush is still worth more than your skiff!!!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 19,475 AG
    nick said:
    My broken scrub brush is still worth more than your skiff!!!
    My skiff sees more fish than you see scallops.... 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • farside88farside88 Posts: 491 Deckhand
    My dad was fishing with a guide in Boca Grande. We were testing out a prototype St. Croix rod. Not available on the market. Titanium guides you could bend all the way to the rod and they would just snap back into place. Hooked a tarpon and got him almost to the boat, my dad pulled up to get him the last few feet to the surface and the tarpon took that exact moment to surge down. Rod was good until it hit about 95 degrees then it snapped like a twig. No replacing that one.