Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

New to Fly fishing

wcoast407wcoast407 OrlandoPosts: 7 Greenhorn
I have all the gear I need (at the moment). Im not looking for peoples spots just advice on how I can land my first fish, frewshwater, or salt. Thank you in advance, just need advice.

Replies

• sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 721 Officer
    If you have access to saltwater, easiest fish in the world is a ladyfish. They eat anything, fight like mad, and are plentiful. I'd go with a 2-inch chartreuse Clouser. Stand on any beach and cast out, you'll get a ladyfish though they are fewer in the winter. Any line you prefer, and you can catch them closer to the shore than you think. Use one-foot strips: one, two, three, pause. If you can stand on the bank of a bay, same thing. You can catch them and snook by dock lights at night if you have a kayak. Cast to the edge past the light, up current, and strip through the light. Small white Clouser for this.

I've never caught a bass, but I bet the same thing would work in any biggest gold course pond.
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 218 Deckhand
    Easy freshwater fish are bluegill, and they are fun on topwater.  Tiny panfish poppers work good, but I'm partial to floating foam spiders.  You don't have to do anything except lay it near some pads or brushy cover and wait.  If you can't stand doing nothing, maybe a tiny twitch once in a while.  This can be done in retention ponds, drainage ditches, anywhere there is year-round water.
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 409 Deckhand
    All above good advice but if you are in South Fl ,canals on US 41 or I75 filled with hard pulling easy to catch oscars with bonus bass and peacocks and cichlids thrown in. Any color Clouser works , I'm partial to Olive/orange in those canals. Boat or kayak a real advantage but plenty of fish from shore. Let it sink 5-10 seconds then strip strip pause.