Rod/reel advice for beach fishing Sarasota

Hi,
I'm new to Sarasota and was looking for advice for a setup for beach fishing in the Gulf in the Sarasota area. I've gotten mixed advice on what to buy. I was originally looking at a 7' St Croix rod and a Daiwa BG 3500, but then others have told me I need a long surf casting setup. I realize it may depend on what I'm looking to try to catch.
The main reason I am buying is that my six year old wants to learn to fish and he'll be on a 6' Uglystik with a Sedona spinning reel. We plan to mostly be on the beach as opposed to piers, jetties or bridges so that I don't need to worry about him learning to cast with a lot of people he can snag or foul their lines.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,107 Captain
    Are you going to be lure fishing close to the waters' edge or are you wanting to fire out some bait past the 2nd sand bars?  IMO, regardless of brand, the best all around setup you can get to start fishing this area is a 4000 sized reel with 15 lb braid on a 7' to 7'6" Medium rod.  The BG's are great reels and if memory serves their 3500 is a little bigger than a 4000 Shimano.
    Fishing the surf down here isn't like up North on the East Coast where they use 12' long surfcasting setups.  
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • KenV99KenV99 SarasotaPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    kmagnuss said:
    Are you going to be lure fishing close to the waters' edge or are you wanting to fire out some bait past the 2nd sand bars?  IMO, regardless of brand, the best all around setup you can get to start fishing this area is a 4000 sized reel with 15 lb braid on a 7' to 7'6" Medium rod.  The BG's are great reels and if memory serves their 3500 is a little bigger than a 4000 Shimano.
    Fishing the surf down here isn't like up North on the East Coast where they use 12' long surfcasting setups.  
    Given my six year old will be fishing close to the shore, I was planning to do the same. Thank you for your advice!