Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mitigation/Pipe area 1/13/19

Decent day.  Weather was great.  FINALLY solved an annoying fuel issue I have been battling for a month or two....so we headed out.

Fished from 90-100'.  Bite was steady.  The endangered ARS were annoying.  Probably caught and released 50 of them.

Ended up with probably 15 mangos.  NO goozers this time but a few nice ones.  And 4 lanes that were pretty nice size.  Those are very pretty fish...  Threw back probably another 10 or 15 mangos that were keepers but smaller than I wanted to deal with.

Tide was running north'ish pretty much the whole time.  Slow at first then stronger throughout the day.

Water Temperature wasn't working for some reason so not sure of temperature.

Fish were mainly caught on 1/4-3/8 oz jigs with white bait.  Knocker rigs were not as effective.

Bait was pretty good at the Bayside pier at Fort DeSoto.  Not huge but decent.  I had to breakdown and buy a 1/4" net because they were christmas treeing my 3/8.  But a few casts and we were good to go for the day.

Good day.  Not great day.  Caught a lot of fish just didn't end up with as many in the box as I would have liked.  ARS were prevalent everywhere we went.  Lots of boats on the mit sites too.  Did our best a little away from the traffic on the pipe but picked away at other stops too.

Lanes are definitely out there and bigger but seem to be surrounded by vermilion or something that were VERY agressive bait steelers.   

Sorry, didn't even take any pictures.  Biggest Mango was probably 18".  
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 706 Officer
    A lot of the low profile spots in that area that hold lanes will have a "Trash Pile" show of vermilions and tomtates suspended over the spot.  Those spots can be hard to fish with dead bait, but often have some big red grouper sitting below.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,237 Captain
    Yep, that is what was going on.  We could move away occasionally but they would follow along...Didn't know the name of the tomtate but we definitely got a few of those and definitely some vermilion.  We just moved when we hit that...
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Had to google tomtate.  Learn something new every day.
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 413 Deckhand
    How do you fish 90' with a 1/4oz jig? Ive tried but i dont know if there are no fish or im doing it wrong.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 706 Officer
    SuperMutu said:
    How do you fish 90' with a 1/4oz jig? Ive tried but i dont know if there are no fish or im doing it wrong.
    Very, very, patiently.  Or with a buttload of chum to get the fish up off the bottom.  Also, the thinner your line, the quicker the jighead drops.  If the fish hit the jig on the way down, it should be pretty obvious when they take it.  If they're being shy and letting it fall all the way to the bottom, it's a lot harder to feel the pickup without lifting it off the bottom, which might be off-putting to the fish.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,237 Captain
    I do chum a lot but have rarely gotten fish up behind the boat.  I have done it in 40-50' but not in the 90-100.  But as Kokosing said, patience is key.  Just keep letting line out.  I fished a 1/4 oz all day and I put at least 10, if not more fish in the box and probably caught 2 to 3 times as many fish as the others.  My son was fishing with a 3/8 and did pretty well.  My other two buddies were fishing heavier with knocker rigs and didn't do squat all day.  One switched to the 1/4 oz but didn't have the patience to let it down and switched back to a heavier weight.  It is frustrating to not for sure know if you are down or not but I just keep letting line out until it either takes off with a fish on or stops taking more.  Usually it takes off and I don't actually get to the bottom...

I try to get the jig to follow the chum as much as possible.  Takes a couple minutes sometimes to get to the strike zone but usually it is well worth it...gives you a chance to have a sip of your favorite beverage too...When we started targeting this type of fishing a couple years ago we were using 1/8 oz jigs...

I also try to use an "aerodynamic" piece of bait.  If sardines, cut a inch or two of the head off and hook it through the lips top to bottom so it will sink down better.  If it is a white bait, same thing.  I tend to even crush up live white bait so they don't fight the jig so much.  

Tails and other side hooked bait will flutter more which is sometimes good but with a light jig head, I like it a little more streamlined.