Home Boating

Garmin 7612 vs 1242

GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 1,189 Officer
I'm will be outfitting a new boat and need to decide between the Garmin 7612xvs and the 1242xvs. I fish mostly offshore. I was thinking about two transducers a thru-hull and a transom mounted. The dealer said the 1242 only allows one input so they would run one to each unit with the 1242. Any suggestions would be appreciated.....

Replies

• K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 221 Deckhand
    Just by specs, two 1242s should work for you. To complicate matters even more, there is also the 1242xsv Touch which is kind of a middle ground.
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,468 Officer
    I went with both the 7612xsv and the 1242xsv on my Grady. I have 2 transducers and can see either one on the 1242 because of networking them both together. I typically only use the 1242 for sounder purposes. 
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,250 Officer
    edited January 2019 #4
    I have a 7612 with a pair of gt51 thru hull  side scan transducers which actually contain three transducers. Touch screen is the way to go. If only for the scratch resistance and ease of cleaning. You dont want a transducer hanging off your transom. Thats so old school.
  • Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 410 Deckhand
    edited January 2019 #5
    I use a pair of 7616's and they are so easy to work with
    visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Do yourself a favor before getting any of those units and thoroughly check the charts you would be running first to make sure it is exactly what you want.  If not, you are likely to  be another one of the plethora of Garmin owners kicking themselves every time they look at a chart that does not work for them wishing they would have known up front.  The comments on these charts go back for many years on numerous blogs by hundreds of users.  Most complain their boat shows them running on land when floating along with all kinds of image problems and lack of detail and inaccurate detail.   
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,468 Officer
    Do yourself a favor before getting any of those units and thoroughly check the charts you would be running first to make sure it is exactly what you want.  If not, you are likely to  be another one of the plethora of Garmin owners kicking themselves every time they look at a chart that does not work for them wishing they would have known up front.  The comments on these charts go back for many years on numerous blogs by hundreds of users.  Most complain their boat shows them running on land when floating along with all kinds of image problems and lack of detail and inaccurate detail.   
    This is true, however my Simrad NSS was the same way. 
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck
  • bmoodybmoody Posts: 985 Officer
    I don't know the 1242.  I have a 7610vsx and a second smaller yet combo head unit.  Both can use both my transom mount side-sccan/down view chirp transducer and the airmar through hull transducer.  Message me if you'd like to go out on my boat to get a feel for them.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 822 Officer
    This is true, however my Simrad NSS was the same way. 
    Garmin is actually coming out with a G3 card real soon, which is going to be their G2 card but updated with Navionics charts integrated in to it. Also a new plotter (8600 xsv), which will have all the new charts integrated into it as well. The plotter showing your boat on land when you're obviously in the water sounds more like a GPS thing than a chart thing. I've heard of that with at least one other company and it had nothing to do with the charts.