01/02 PBI Drift

We have been trolling a fair amount over the last couple of weeks so we thought we would dedicate a day to drift a little. We fished from the Breakers to the Zoo, starting at around 150' ending with 80 ish. We got a couple keeper Yellowtail, a nice Cero, couple Unicorn File Fish and a few other bottom dwellers. We did not catch any keeper Muttons, all short. I gotta get someone to show me how to get a keeper Mutton. The drift was pretty quick early, around 3 knots, but slowed to a nice 1.8- 2 after a couple of hours. There were a lot of sport fishing boats out today around 120-150' fishing kites, sailfish I would guess. Anyway we had a great day on the water and got some good eats. (Included a pic of the queen trigger we released cause it's such a great looking lil fish) 

Replies

• GarysmoGarysmo Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 691 Officer
    Great pictures.....thanks for sharing
  • PARKER26PARKER26 Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    Good job. Thanks for report
  • IAMSECONDIAMSECOND Moved to PB County on 7/5/18Posts: 81 Greenhorn
    Nice job, I am heading out on Sunday to start out on the reefs/wrecks, what bait and color seem to work best?
  • Blue H2OBlue H2O Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    We had real problems finding live bait. Ended up trolling the beach for blue runners finding only 2 that were both too big.  We Used frozen sardines and squid on chicken rigs for everything. Good luck! 
  • Glass MinnowGlass Minnow Posts: 51 Greenhorn
    Blue H20. Thanks for the report. If you want to catch bigger mutton’s you should try switching from a chicken rig to a slider rig. Start with triple 6/0 hooks with a whole sardine (cut tip or tail off) then 6’ of 40lb florocarbon, a small swivel and an egg sinker between 1 and 3 oz. you wil adjust your lead depending on the drift using just enough to hit bottom. This will take some getting used to as you will fish in freespool the whole time. Once you get used to it you will catch a lot of quality fish in that same area you are already fishing. 
    Glass Minnow thank you very much for the detailed suggestion, much appreciated. I should have been a lil more detailed in my own response as we did in fact use a similar set up as you suggested, all though I used prob too much lead, will try a lil lighter next time. Thx again 
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 132 Deckhand
    Blue H2O said:
    We had real problems finding live bait. Ended up trolling the beach for blue runners finding only 2 that were both too big.  We Used frozen sardines and squid on chicken rigs for everything. Good luck! 
    No such thing as a too big blue runner. Rig them up on a 3 hook stinger rig and slow troll around wrecks and ledges. Nothing beats seeing a 50lb king skyrocket out of the water with your giant runner in its mouth. 
    You are right for sure as we get a pretty large AJ a couple weeks ago with the big runner. I just kinda wanted a few smaller baits to try for snapper  maybe I should try a larger live bait on the bottom 
  • justintimejustintime Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    My buddy Rod is the champ at catching keeper mutton’s.. here’s his technique, I put a whole sardine on a triple or double hook rig, 4’ of 40-80lb test (go higher on overcast days or when Kingfish  are around) swivel and 1/2-1oz sinker depending on currents, let out about 50-100yards, close the bail and give the pole to my buddy Rod Holder. Then I fish like mentioned above while my buddy Rod Holder sits there and patiently waits for a fish. I check on him periodically but for the most part I try to actively catch fish an end up with a bunch of shorts while he passively sits there and finds the keepers.
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 387 Deckhand
    My dad is the champ at catching keeper mutton.  But unfortunately he won't tell me his secret.  Here he is with a 21 and 20 pounder he got on the same day.  He's turning 94 this month and still hasn't told me how he does it.

Justintime love that technique... Awesome  Xenia all I can say is Wow, just freakin WOW!  I wanna fish with your dad