Home Off Topic

Don't send cash through USPS!

King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,682 Admiral

Yeah, I know, stupid....who would ever do that, well my mother does.  She has done it for years for birthdays and Christmas and I guess just got lucky none of the cards with cash never got "Lost".  Well luck ran out this year, her 2 one hundred bills to us for Christmas never showed up this year.

I contacted USPS about the loss, they logged a claim for the loss and actually told me its quite common these days as the mail system uses various other carriers to handle the mail along the route to the destination.  They mentioned that they have some sort of technology to determine that there is cash inside the card and envelope. 

I have to contact another division of their theft department but they are shut down due to the government shutdown for now.

Replies

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,920 Admiral
    We had a thief in the USPS here in Albany.  They were stealing checks & cashing them in the Dominican republic.  I don't know how they did it.

I think they caught him not sure though.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,682 Admiral
    They told me to register for one of their services where they take pictures of mail addressed to you at certain points throughout the route, then if there is an issue with a delivery they can refer to the pictures at the points to see where the trail ended.  Going to take the time to register and see how it works.
    They stole one of our checks from M&M Mars for a structural engineering job.

They sent us a copy of the check where it was cashed at a bank in the DR.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,617 Admiral
    When I was a child, my Granny would send me a letter with a one dollar bill in the 60's. That is still the most cash I would send in a letter
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,776 AG
    I wish I could cancel my USPS delivery.  
    Vote for the other candidate
  • hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,439 Captain
    sent a coffee cup to a friend in Texas after the hurricane last year
    also to a friend in Panama City this year
    both had some cash in the cup and both were received
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • ResinheadResinhead Posts: 10,987 AG
    Mister-Jr said:

Your carrier probably feels the same about you.
    hatcity said:
    sent a coffee cup to a friend in Texas after the hurricane last year
    also to a friend in Panama City this year
    both had some cash in the cup and both were received
    I rarely send outgoing but have no problems whatsoever with their service. My mailgirl delivers inside my garage on rainy days when the door is open and it usually is. She deserves her holiday bonuses.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,617 Admiral
    Our USPS will not even come up our rural driveway like all other delivers to drop off a package or letter.. They leave a ticket in the mailbox to come to their office, or leave the package on the ground next to the mail box on a rural road a quarter mile from my house. Times 5 for the neighbors. Who leaves a package at Christmas at a mail box a quarter mile a way on the ground
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 13,270 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    Go to the post office And fill out a moving form with no forwarding address.

Rest in Peace Captain Todd

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,972 Admiral
    Even gift cards, they are basically cash. I send those but probably shouldn't.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,776 AG
    Resinhead said:
    . She deserves her holiday bonuses.
    You give her a "bonus" for delivering a bunch of paper spam to you?

:p 
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,194 Captain
    surfman said:
    Even gift cards, they are basically cash. I send those but probably shouldn't.
    They also may not be good. I saw a story on the news about someone who bought gift cards from Walgreens that were worthless. Someone had used the codes and then covered them back up and put them back on the shelf. The guy was out a thousand dollars.
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Mister-Jr said:
    Why?
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    I have had more problems with Amazon than the post office. 
    Yet I got a a Amazon delivery last Sunday from the post office carrier!! 
    Mister-Jr said:
    Resinhead said:
    . She deserves her holiday bonuses.
    You give her a "bonus" for delivering a bunch of paper spam to you?

:p 
    I do. She got a $50 Publix gift card this year. She delivers Amazon packages, bills, residual checks, birthday cards and letters to my family. Most ofthe time inside my garage right next to the service door.

She's great.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,455 AG
    It makes no difference who the carrier is.  The for-profit guys have the same issue.

I recently worked a theft where we lost over $800K due to interstate theft, perpetrated by one of the biggest names out there (other than the USPS). It's not a reflection on the company, it's a reflection on the people who do this.  They seek out employment with these various shipping companies expressly to do this.  
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,393 Officer
    I get my meds from the VA and they are usually delivered by USPS. On several occasions within the past year I've received packages that have been ripped open and rifled through. I don't take any pain killers or "mind altering drugs" so nothing has been missing so far. Back in the 90s I was on a Federal grand jury for 18 months in Orlando. Postal theft by USPS employees was one of our most often seen criminal violations.
  • BobberBobber Posts: 943 Officer
    You don't spit into the wind
    You don't tug on Supermans cape
    You don't send cash by mail
    And you don't mess around with Jim....
  • saltyreefersaltyreefer Posts: 249 Deckhand
    Mister-Jr said:
    Holy Crap! I feel the same way! 98% is fing junk!!!

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 7,211 Admiral
    I'm with mister.  I got no use for the USPS, I rarely use them.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    They are partnering with one of the comm delivery co.s now.