Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

It's a bad feeling....

micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,851 AG
If your are or were a deer hunter and hunted long enough, you know the feeling. 

Every year  me and a friend do a two week sabbatical during the rut. Several members come and join a day or two here and there but we pretty much lay with it. Put it to you like this. Since the Saturday before Christmas I’ve slept in my bed at home 4 nights. The rest were at deer camp. Heck I’m still here and in the stand now. 

Ive seen deer and small bucks all but 2 sits out of 16 or so sits. We can’t even drive our trucks in, have to pack a trailer and pull it in with the Polaris and it’s about to get where it won’t make it in. I’ve had a chance on a really good 8 but when I had the shot I couldn’t tell if he met the size requirements. When I didn’t have the shot I could tell he exceeded them...

small bucks on on their feet cruising and trailing does for the most part. Today is the first day that it has been “cold”   51* feels cold when it’s been in the 70’s. 

I settle in on a beautiful HW bottom and watch the woods come to life and just giving thanks for everything. Had to ask for forgiveness for some things too lol. As I’m sitting there thinking how I hate for it to be over, I’m ready to go home. It’s 10am when I hear running behind me, I look to the left and see a doe running 20 yds from me with her toung out. 

Game on! I click the safety off and she is standing there panting with a “ please help me look”.  I know that look and small bucks don’t cause that look. I see a deer in the corner of my eye 30 yds behind me and up the hill, I freeze not knowing what it is but have a good idea. 

The doe runs runs two circles and runs right under me and behind me. I spin aroun raising my gun to see the MAN watching her and take off after her. Now I’m spun a 180 and facing the tree the stand is on. He is getting out of site pretty quick with the terrain   

I have to stop him so I bleat with my mouth and he stops at 65 yds but I can only see his hind end. Come on man you have to do better I tell my self so I change the tone and bleat again and he spins and is facing directly at me presenting a perfect chip shot. 

atta boy I say and rest the cross hairs center of the white throat patch like I’ve done so many times before and squeeze the trigger. Knowing he would pile up right there and I would have what I think would be my biggest buck rack wise. There was no time to count points or nothing, I knew he exceeded the qualifications  

all of this his took place within about 30 seconds. 

what happened next made my heart go to my big toe. His flag went up, head and tail switched places and with one bound out of site. I couldn’t believe it. I was truly shocked...

i give it about 40 min and get down and go to where he was. Leaves kicked up and no blood or hair anywhere. I go back to the stand, get in and note the exact path that the bullet traveled. Get down and start walking and I see it about 15 yds before where he was standing. A shining in my face magnolia limb that my bullet cut in half. Clean miss  

I spent an hour looking all around to make sure and I’m confident he lived to see another sunset. Heck, he was probably trying to find here scent before I got down. 

So that feeling, I can’t explain it but if you are or were a hunter you know what I’m talking about and it sucks lol. 

Bright side idle I have made forgetless memories with old and new friends and have a wife that lets me do this for so long because she knows I eat, sleep and breathe chasing whitetails during the rut. 

Gotta go. It’s looking “Derry” out. 

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,473 Moderator

Sounds like a wonderful day to me. :)

I've got a 375 Big Bore that the magnolia limb wouldn't have diverted.:)

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• bottomtimebottomtime Posts: 462 Deckhand
    Had that same feeling for the same reason about 2 weeks ago.......
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,304 AG
    clean miss is a better feeling than a bad shot and hair/sparse blood...

Been there, good read, thanks for sharing.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Cracker23Cracker23 MelrosePosts: 311 Deckhand
    Enjoyed your story. We will always remember the "one that got away", a lot longer than the ones that didn't.
  • HubcapHubcap Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Feel your pain Micci.  Season before last took a close shot at an 8 under very similar circumstances and with identical results.  Hanging oak branch for me though.
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,347 Admiral
    Next time he is yours Tommy. Sounds like a memory you will be telling the grandchildren in 20 years.
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    edited January 2019 #8
    Awesome report!
    Excellent read.
     That’s the one that got away.
    and THAT is  a great day!
    Breeder Stag for sure...
    God, save the South!
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,520 Captain
    A good read and I can understand your pain, but also your relief that it was a clean miss and there isn't a wounded deer out there somewhere.
    You know it will be better luck next time.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Nice read Micci! Been there and prob will again... Most recently happend to a buddy sitting on the ground. We couldn't find any blood and a trail dog proved a no go after following and meandering through other obvious deer sign. I finally had the buddy sit in the chair and navigate me to where the buck stood. After getting the line of site, I slowly started working back to him...and found a dead hit on a small oak. He was so disappointed... We were all relieved we weren't leaving a lost buck for the scavengers & that we could sit for him again.

The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,851 AG
    Big bore- I like to eat them ferris lol.

Yes A1, a clean miss is good. 

Home now and headed back this weekend to give it another go. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 3,120 Captain
    I was right there with ya.  Good writing.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,473 Moderator
    micci_man said:
    Big bore- I like to eat them ferris lol.

Yes A1, a clean miss is good. 

Home now and headed back this weekend to give it another go. 
    There is that. :)

Warming up here this week. Supposed to be in the mid 60's.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,830 Captain
    That sucks but it has happened to all of us
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 2,050 Captain
    thanks for posting.....know the feeling
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,851 AG

First day back at work in 2 weeks..... I had to come to work to get a break and some rest.

Ferris- the weather was horrible this last 2 weeks here. I think I remember 2 days that I had to wear a jacket. the rest of the time it was in the 70's but the deer were still on their feet and looking for love. There were 3 good deer killed Saturday on another place down the road from us.

• dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    If you put enough lead in the air all of it will not find it's mark.
    I've missed my share.
    I lost a REALLY nice 8 with the stick and string. Not the best shot to take, but it was all I had.
    Quartering to me.  Hit shoulder blade. tracked for about a mile and lost blood at the paved rd.
    I thought that was coincedental, huh??
    I can still see him going over the fence with my arrow waving at me.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
  • cc13cc13 Posts: 548 Officer
    Thanks for sharing! Sometimes it just is!
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,807 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #19
    Oh man . Like everyone else, glad you didn’t wound him. The one that gets away is the reason we keep coming back, even after years and years. The better we get at it, the less it happens, and when it does, it seems to burn worse. Sorry 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,077 Captain
    Many years ago, I had a 40 yd chip shot at a 140 inch buck in a hardwood bottom, made the shot, buck ran away through a creek, I put the crosshairs on him and said to myself, NO, he is dead on his feet.
    Got down to look where the shot was made and found an oak sapling had deflected my shot offline and I had a complete miss. Since then, I take a follow up when presented.
    Another fellow killed the buck a few days later, yea he was 140.
    Only been once this year, just do not have the desire.

F the feds