Triple Tail

Got a 26"triple tail this morning.To start with,it was not in the Gulf
but in the back bays.Over past 5 years have caught 5 TT in same area.
      Which to me raises the question,why are they ocaasionally here and
have only caught them in same area?According to someone who
knows a fish biologist in this area,TT are one fish there is little info.Many
fish have radio transmitter,but he was not aware of anything regarding TT.

Replies

• polliwogpolliwog Posts: 237 Deckhand
    I was with you on one of those fish,quite a surprise.  Haven't seen one since, good catch and good eating.
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,049 Officer
    Not asking the location but curious about the type of location.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 454 Deckhand
       All five where caught in area not over 400 yds from each other.All
    were caught in 6-8 ft.of water with drop offs 14-16.ft.All where
    caught Nov.to April and all on whole or bits of shrimp. 
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,049 Officer
    Thanks
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Joe SnookJoe Snook Posts: 453 Deckhand
    A client of mine got a tagged one last year off a bouy. the tag was from Mississippi made its way down here in 4 years i think it was. got a really cool sticker on my refridgerator from calling it in and a report sheet of its trackings. I have seen the same activity in a few areas but it hasnt been consistent enough for me to go out of my way to fish them. But one thing that is certain is it was always coming up on the full and New moon on an incoming tide. 2 years ago it worked great i got way more that way than on the bouys but the past 2 seasons it hasnt been too plentiful fishing that pattern for me
    southwest florida fishing guide in the beautiful 10k islands, everglades and more www.Joesnook.com
  • MangroovinMangroovin Posts: 95 Greenhorn
    Biggest one I ever caught (2 yrs ago) was mixed in with a big school of black drum up inside a pass to the Gulf.  Ate a gulp shrimp.  Very strange.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,138 Captain
    A few miles (about 35 all told from Choko straight line...) to the east we do quite a bit of targeting triples up in relatively shallow waters... When they're in we can count on them up to around ten pounds - maybe a bit bigger... wihile still working nearby areas for snook, reds, etc.  Our all time biggest one wasn't what we expected - when it jumped on the line some ways from us I thought it was an odd colored snook - then re-considered and thought ... grouper?  It wasn't until quite a tussle that my angler had an 18lb triple in hand in a river mouth on an incoming tide... right in one of the many such places south of Lostman's... Can't say we'll ever duplicate it - but I can dream... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666