Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Fast Trolling

Does anybody have a recommendation for reasonably priced but effective fast trolling lures for Wahoo?  I’m looking to buy some.

Replies

• ShivsShivs Posts: 62 Deckhand
    How fast ~15knts?    If you looking at High Speed Trolling (HST), the rigs typically cost a lot when you add everything up.  I personally run a mix of cowbells, mr big, and some islander/skirt lures in my spread.   
    Cobia 261CC
  • d_tomlinsond_tomlinson Jacksonville, FLPosts: 8 Greenhorn
    Yeah, 15 knots sounds about right.  I’ve never really tried it before other than on a charter boat but I’d like to get started.  What weight cowbells?  I was thinking I might start just pulling two lines maybe a mr big and a cowbell?  Then work up to four or five as I can get more lures.  You’re right, they’re kinda pricy but I more or less expected that.  :)
  • MaverickMaverick Posts: 733 Officer
    Tormenter makes a super smoker that is decently priced and sells replacement skirts. similar to a mr. big but smaller and lighter. 

mr. bigs and American expresses are pretty much staples in the high speed world. 

Dont look past past making your own with an islander or similar style lure over some squid skirts stuffed with lead.

I don’t know anything about cowbells but I’ve heard they work without additional weight. 

But from the lures. Hook sets. Shock leader and trolling weight. To the gear strong enough to handle high speed trolling. All the way down to the fuel bill. Nothing about high speed trolling is cheap  :D:D
    Shut Up and Fish
  • ShivsShivs Posts: 62 Deckhand
    edited January 2019 #5
    I have a 32 oz cowbell but i still run a weight on it since I can never get out HST trolling in decent weather.  Colors are the hard choice there are so many to choose from.  I run dark on one side and light colors on the other and down the middle I run whatever I want that day.  if you do not have the rods and reels already that will be the biggest cost (you need to have your drags set heavy).  I run  spectra to the trolling lead so i can keep the lures down easier.  I have run up to 18knts if i want to cover more water and I am searching. 
    Cobia 261CC
  • portusrogerportusroger Posts: 177 Deckhand
    Look up http://www.seausmilelures.com/

And there is the link for ballyhood they have the cowbells.

https://ballyhood.com/ Any questions feel free to message me.
    Thanks for all the great advice. I have some more research to do but I think this has put me on the right track.
    So, I decided to get a cowbell and a smoker initially.  I plan to rig some of the Island skirts as well eventually.  I like to rig my own tackle so I got the smoker un-rigged.  Probably should have just gotten a rigged one but I now also have the stuff to rig trolling weights and maybe a couple of skirts.  I also have to re-spool a couple of my larger reals with 80 lb test.  Here's my shopping list.

Tormentor Super Smoker 11.5 oz
    BANCHEE HIGH SPEED 32 OZ COWBELL - Rigged (Can't get it un-rigged)
    49 Strand Cable 7x7 Stainless Steel Leader 30 ft 480 lbs with crimps
    Chafing Tubing Coated Polyester Braid Loop Protector
    Mustad 7691S Stainless Steel Forged Hooks 9/0
    Riptail 8mm Circle Rigging Beads
    Trolling Weights (20 and 30 Ounce)
    100yds 1.6mm-250lb Clear Mono with Loop protectors, crimps
    Riptail 8mm Circle Rigging Beads (Hot Pink 60 Pack)
    Premium Monofilament Fishing Line 350 Yds. - 80 Lb.

Total $256.17

My birthday present to me.  (I'm 50 in 5 days and you only live once.)  :)
  • BottomBumpinBottomBumpin Jax BeachPosts: 1,795 Captain
    Looks about right...some are using Braid on the main line these days and we are making that switch this year... happy birthday and let us know how you do..
  • MaverickMaverick Posts: 733 Officer
    What reels are you planning on using. If you’re wanting to high speed in the 15+ knot range your going to need something that will produce around 20lbs smoothly. 
    Shut Up and Fish
    Maverick said:
    What reels are you planning on using. If you’re wanting to high speed in the 15+ knot range your going to need something that will produce around 20lbs smoothly. 
    I have some Penn Senators.  They used to be called '5/0' but I believe they are equivalent to the modern Model 114H2.  (If anybody knows for sure let me know.) they're old but in good shape.  I'm going to see how fast I can reasonably go with those.  Chances are I might have to upgrade to get to the 15+ kt  range though.  I plan to uses line releases on the transom (and eventually outriggers when I get some) too so maybe that will help.  Right now I think the reels may be the weakest link though.  Only one way to know for sure.
    Looks about right...some are using Braid on the main line these days and we are making that switch this year... happy birthday and let us know how you do..
    I thought about using braid.  I've never used it for trolling but with the mono leader it makes sense.  Should create a lot less resistance in the water.  I think I'll do that.  Thanks.
  • andrewthe1andrewthe1 Posts: 801 Officer
    one wierd note i heard at a wahoo seminar last year was to make sure to keep your trolling weights from getting banged up, the presenter said if they get nicked and dented or bent they will wobble, and not pull as good. something i never thought of! 
    we need more internet money
  • mikeg32225mikeg32225 Posts: 567 Officer
    Just sent you a message
    Call me if your interested
    MikeG
    Leave a your # if I don't pick up