pipeline Saturday 12/29

We had planned for some time to take my niece and wife's daughter out for an offshore trip.  Neither of them fish so I figured I'd just be captain for a day.

It was dead calm, but pea soup foggy.  We putted through the bay to the skyway.  Visibility almost nonexistent.  No bait at the skyway so we kept putting.  Some bait at the bay pier but it was sparse.  Nothing at the gulf pier, but I had frozen so we were fine.  Continued putting out to the last green marker and picked up some cigar minnows.  Some guys were tied up there and one was ralphing the whole time.  It wasn't rough at all, but I guess some people just are prone to seasickness.

I took my chances and got the boat on a plane and hoped for the best.  We went straight to my favorite number and anchored, only to notice another boat about 30 yards away.  Dang, it was foggy.  Hooked up immediately on a gag that was oh so close to legal.  Then it was one ARS after another.  Once we weeded those out, we caught a mess of smallish mangos and the biggest lanes I've ever caught.  The lanes were all bigger than the mangos.  While one of the girls was reeling one up, a group of cobias showed up.  One was an absolute monster.  Had to be close to 5'.  It dwarfed the ones with it.  Just enormous.  We scrambled around trying to get something to toss at them.  I completely forgot about the free line with the live cigar minnow but we did get a live greenback out and the smallest one nailed it immediately. We lost it and they disappeared.  Lesson learned (maybe?).  The bite never dried up and we stayed there the rest of the day.  Caught a variety - porgies, scamps, gags, triggerfish, lots of snapper.  

Headed back in the still thick fog.  It never lifted the entire day.  It finally cleared up around 10 miles from shore.  Seas were fairly calm so it was a nice ride back.  

All in all a fantastic day.  The girls had a great time and were completely worn out by the time we got back.  Wife cooked up the snapper and we had a great feast, then all passed out.

Replies

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,088 Captain
    Nice job Burch.  Way to put the chippies on them.  
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 197 Deckhand
    Glad to hear someone had a good day - LOL.  I need to find more spots down that way.  How deep were you?
  • trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    about 95'
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 197 Deckhand
    trs912 said:
    about 95'
    Thank you - I mostly dive and that is really pushing my "safe" limits, but I may have to try that next.

• SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 323 Deckhand
    trs912 said:
    about 95'
    About how many miles out is that?  I know 20 miles out of clearwater we are in 60-65.

• trs912trs912 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Paul probably knows the correct answer, but I think it is about 30 miles from egmont.  But it isn't directly west, we go north too.  
  • winderbillwinderbill Posts: 289 Deckhand
    same type day for us but never went deeper than 70'....insane size lanes, some approaching 20"....filled the box with two to three pound lanes and one keeper gag...
  • szarmanszarman Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    How do rig up to catch the lane snapper? I catch mangrove snapper with 2/0 circle hooks, and long 20lb fluoro leader using shrimp on a knocker rig.  Was just wondering if lane snapper eat the same setup.  I will have to start going deeper than 65ft.
  • suprastevesuprasteve Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Szarman, that rig should work fine. Usually get them as bycatch fishing for grouper, so if they can get their mouth around a 6/0+ with cut squid, dropping down to 2/0 or 3/0 and 20-30 lb leader should definitely increase the number you bring in. They aren't as picky or leader shy as mangos in my experience. I'd use something "tougher" than shrimp, like cut bait or squid.  Only problem is, if something bigger comes along, you're probably gonna be rerigging often.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,370 Admiral
    Seasickness is a funny thing, once in the keys in the winter it was windy and rough everyday and my buddy was fine the whole time, on the last day it was dead calm just a nice slow roll, he got sick as a dog. :)
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.