Where are the Pompano??

This is the time of year when I fish for Pompano. For the last month, I have fished every Pompano hole that I know and have not caught a single one. Anyone have any ideas about what happened to them. Do you think the Red Tide scattered them north, south or out deep?. 

Replies

• rjmckenna2005rjmckenna2005 Cape Coral, FLPosts: 21 Greenhorn
    Listening....lol
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,381 Officer
    Anyone skipping any Pompano around S/W Fl.???????????
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 590 Officer
    I've gotten a few on the nearshore reefs pretty recently but not even targetable. Really sucks as I was limiting out whenever I felt like it last winter around the passes, nothing beats a big pompano on a jig and light tackle! 
  • JoesarantiJoesaranti Posts: 70 Greenhorn
    This is the time of year when I fish for Pompano. For the last month, I have fished every Pompano hole that I know and have not caught a single one. Anyone have any ideas about what happened to them. Do you think the Red Tide scattered them north, south or out deep?. 
    They were all scooped up dead on the beach and now in landfill!
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 786 Officer
    Fish aren't that stupid. When something's wrong they leave. But don't worry, the new Gov is going to fix the environment. I for one sure hope he keeps his word.
    CaptJ said:
    Fish aren't that stupid. When something's wrong they leave. But don't worry, the new Gov is going to fix the environment. I for one sure hope he keeps his word.
    You must be living in a alternate universe!  Or maybe you are just trying to get a rise out of people with a comment like that. All of SouthWest florida has witnessed and smelled the stench of hundreds of thousands if not millions of fish that were not that stupid? Not to mention the Dolphin, turtles and Manatee. The red tide has subsided for now but the fish just are not to be found. Look at the reports!  The Governor is going to fix the environment? You are out of your mind!

Wow, didn't mean to start a childish sh-- storm. CaptJ  just said he hopes the new Governor keeps his word. I think many of us hope the Gov and Fl. Cabinet will put more emphasis in clean water.  
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    Name one politician that has kept his/her word when deciding against the lobbyists who fill their pockets.

I'm serious, name one.
    Wow, didn't mean to start a childish sh-- storm. CaptJ  just said he hopes the new Governor keeps his word. I think many of us hope the Gov and Fl. Cabinet will put more emphasis in clean water.  
    Fish aren't that stupid. When something's wrong they leave.
    But don't worry the Gov is going to fix the environment.

These are two of the most ignorant and ill informed statements i have ever read!
    And you are going to cry because he gets called out on it???
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 133 Deckhand
    edited December 2018 #11

Fish aren't that stupid. When something's wrong they leave.

Are you saying the above is ignorant and ill informed?  If so, that is not well informed and is contrary to the scientists on the subject have stated and what most on here have observed.  Yes, obviously a good amount sea life could not move, etc. and did perish.  However, many areas just outside of some of these zones were full of fish and still are.....both inshore and offshore.  The amount of snook upriver have been incredibly abundant and we have experienced some incredible offshore fishing outside of where the anoxic zones were.  I also believe many more fish perished in the lengthy 2005/2006 red tide event and yet, that was followed by some fantastic fishing over the years.

As to the statement about the Gov., the Gov. wouldn't be able to fix all of the problems regardless of who was elected.  For anyone who actually is truly informed about these issues, they are incredibly complex with numerous stakeholders on all sides and they are not going to be easy to fix regardless of who you voted for.

...and I don't see the problem in having the optimism in the Capt's post.
    edited January 1 #12
    edited January 2 #13
    Yes the above is both ignorant and ill informed as are you! Do You know the extent of the anoxic dead zones?
    The divers have reported complete void of life on almost all near shore to close offshore reefs and sunken boats from 
    Naples to Venice! Not even a shrimp or clam is alive on those reefs! The coast was full of snook. A huge amount of them along with Redfish have been counted dead on the beaches. Fortunately a good number of snook went upstream where they have been congregating. Offshore fishing inside of 20 miles has been crap! The marine biologists are saying this red tide is as bad or maybe the worst in recorded history. 
    Your comment about the Scientists is dishonest at best!  They have not even agreed that red tide is over yet! 
    Nobody had a better chance or opportunity to fix this as Rick Scott! He chose to Enrich himself instead. He spent 
    $60 million  of his own money on his campaign. He knows he will get it all back and much more! How do you think he will get his money back?  Einstein said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again  and expecting 
    different results.  Florida deserves what it gets. As for what most have observed on this forum you clearly have not 
    been paying attention!   I encourage optimistic viewpoints if they are sincere!  

• lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 702 Officer
    Actually I agree with what mannn123 posted. I'll keep it short, but the last fwc water samples showed only background levels of red tide throughout the entire state. There are always background levels, it will happen again. As for rick scott, he was not even born during some of the worst red tide events in florida. It has been recorded since the 1840s. 
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,289 Admiral
    Your missing the point of his post
    Yes the above is both ignorant and ill informed as are you! Do You know the extent of the anoxic dead zones?
    The divers have reported complete void of life on almost all near shore to close offshore reefs and sunken boats from 
    Naples to Venice! Not even a shrimp or clam is alive on those reefs! The coast was full of snook. A huge amount of them along with Redfish have been counted dead on the beaches. Fortunately a good number of snook went upstream where they have been congregating. Offshore fishing inside of 20 miles has been crap! The marine biologists are saying this red tide is as bad or maybe the worst in recorded history. 
    Your comment about the Scientist is dishonest at best!  They have not even agreed that red tide is over yet! 
    Nobody had a better chance or opportunity to fix this as Rick Scott! He chose to Enrich himself instead. He spent 

This is all truth
  • mannn123mannn123 Posts: 133 Deckhand

This is all truth
    Respectfully, but no its not.  I participate in sampling and have direct dialogue with various local scientists.  They don't know the exact extent of the anoxic zone but I know what they generally believe it to be and I volunteer in providing some anecdotal data on that as well.  I don't profess to have direct knowledge of what all scientists think on this, but certainly have directly spoken with some.

Also, we had crabs in our stone crab traps (in only 20ft of water), it wasn't great, but there were keeper claws and an assortment of the usual shrimp, small crabs, etc.  This was off Sanibel, well within where the anoxic zone was.  It wasn't good by any means, but it was not devoid of life.  I also generally agree that 15 miles in, it is going to be sparse in many places.  However, at around 20 miles, the several times I have been out, we found the bottom fishing to be real good.  Not epic in terms of larger keeper grouper, but plenty of them and more numbers of larger snapper than we typically get.  This certainly can lead one to the conclusion that many of the fish in the anoxic zone moved out to these nearby areas....which has also been supported by the scientists I have spoken with directly...its actually an informed conclusion and it logically makes sense.  

Also, please provide evidence of marine biologists stating this is the worst in recorded history.  I have not seen that and find it hard to believe any  scientist studying this subject would make such a blanket and unqualified statement.  There are headlines that say that and everyday people (usually who haven't even been here a decade).  I am not sure where you are from or how long you have lived here, but from my observations 2004/2005/2006 was definitely worse and that is the general belief as well (based on length of bloom in particular)....sometimes it is hard to lose perspective over time.....I have lived in Florida my entire life and, while these events get more media coverage each time, it would very difficult for someone to make that statement based on what we know and, more importantly, what we don't know.

...and no disrespect to anyone on here, but on these complicated subjects, when people use absolutes like "dishonest at best", "ignorant", "absolute fact", or "its all the governors fault" for all these issues, it pretty well demonstrates a lack of understanding and perspective on the matter, IMHO....which is why so few original people still participate on here.  Instead of thoughtful and well reasoned dialogue, its just people making these blanket inflammatory statements....if I wanted that, I can easily get that type of commentary elsewhere on the internet.

Well put mannn123,and thanks for your prospective. I use to participate on this forum, but not any more. All I did was ask one simple question about fishing and then the faceless ones appear with their unfounded comments. I'm out and won't be back. 
    mannn123 said:

This is all truth
    Respectfully, but no its not.  I participate in sampling and have direct dialogue with various local scientists.  They don't know the exact extent of the anoxic zone but I know what they generally believe it to be and I volunteer in providing some anecdotal data on that as well.  I don't profess to have direct knowledge of what all scientists think on this, but certainly have directly spoken with some.

Also, we had crabs in our stone crab traps (in only 20ft of water), it wasn't great, but there were keeper claws and an assortment of the usual shrimp, small crabs, etc.  This was off Sanibel, well within where the anoxic zone was.  It wasn't good by any means, but it was not devoid of life.  I also generally agree that 15 miles in, it is going to be sparse in many places.  However, at around 20 miles, the several times I have been out, we found the bottom fishing to be real good.  Not epic in terms of larger keeper grouper, but plenty of them and more numbers of larger snapper than we typically get.  This certainly can lead one to the conclusion that many of the fish in the anoxic zone moved out to these nearby areas....which has also been supported by the scientists I have spoken with directly...its actually an informed conclusion and it logically makes sense.  

Also, please provide evidence of marine biologists stating this is the worst in recorded history.  I have not seen that and find it hard to believe any  scientist studying this subject would make such a blanket and unqualified statement.  There are headlines that say that and everyday people (usually who haven't even been here a decade).  I am not sure where you are from or how long you have lived here, but from my observations 2004/2005/2006 was definitely worse and that is the general belief as well (based on length of bloom in particular)....sometimes it is hard to lose perspective over time.....I have lived in Florida my entire life and, while these events get more media coverage each time, it would very difficult for someone to make that statement based on what we know and, more importantly, what we don't know.

...and no disrespect to anyone on here, but on these complicated subjects, when people use absolutes like "dishonest at best", "ignorant", "absolute fact", or "its all the governors fault" for all these issues, it pretty well demonstrates a lack of understanding and perspective on the matter, IMHO....which is why so few original people still participate on here.  Instead of thoughtful and well reasoned dialogue, its just people making these blanket inflammatory statements....if I wanted that, I can easily get that type of commentary elsewhere on the internet.

I also participate in the sampling with local biologists and appreciate your participation of a voluntary basis. My knowledge is not second hand and I have lived here for nearly 40 yrs and work the water as a profession.
    Lame response. Like usual. I remember when someone asked if there was bait around. The response was, yes, if you know where to look. Really sad that someone can't help out a little more than that. Over bait, wow.
    Never mind that last post we are all frustrated by the flats of death. Today I dropped off my daughter and a friend on anna maria and went south to longboat bridge. Sarasota bay is basically a sand flat. The grass.is all dead. 

I went north to sister keys, same. Virtualy no mullet. As I continued north to palma sola it seemed to get better, a lot of small snook. Then to the bulk  head nothing. I saw not one bait fish. 

My kid is very sad about this. It's funny, I told her I saw no bait fish. She said that's not good, you always know where the bait is. It made me feel proud that she said that but so said because she was right.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 786 Officer
    Sorry I got everyone upset, but I was really being a little sarcastic. I am a native Floridian, born in Miami 70 years ago and fishing since I was able to walk. I've seen the almost total destruction of our resource and seriously doubt any of the politicians have our best intentions in mind when dealing with the large landowners/developers. Hope that clarifies my position.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,665 Moderator
    edited January 5 #23
    CaptJ said:
    Sorry I got everyone upset, but I was really being a little sarcastic. I am a native Floridian, born in Miami 70 years ago and fishing since I was able to walk. I've seen the almost total destruction of our resource and seriously doubt any of the politicians have our best intentions in mind when dealing with the large landowners/developers. Hope that clarifies my position.
    We are all human and make errors in judgement  at times. To look back and admit the errors is what counts.
    larrywitt