12/31 PBI

slow day on the water.  Goal was to slow pitch jigs for muttons.  Hit 200, 180,150,120,all the way to 80’ off the breakers with no luck.  Seas were not ideal for jigging, 3’ sloppy chop.  I did not hear much action on the redio either.  Hopefully seas will improve over the net few day and cn ry gain for dolphin and muttons.  Good luck everyone.

Replies

• GarysmoGarysmo Officer Ft. Pierce, FloridaPosts: 859 Officer
    Thanks for the post
  • 20psimr20psimr Deckhand Posts: 111 Deckhand
    Just built a new Slow Pitch rod and havent fished it yet. What weight jigs have you found work best drifting in S FL?
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc
  • InstaGatorInstaGator Deckhand Posts: 168 Deckhand
    20psimr, i am not the best persons to ask about slow pitch jigging as I am still a novice.  150 gm is the one i seem to use the most.  The problem down here is with a fast current it is hard to get vertical with a slow pitch jig.  The conditions have to be just right for it to be effective, in my opinion.
    Thanks Insta. From what I was readin guys said for more current you want to up the weight on the jig so I picked up some 280g jigs for ripping current days. Hopefully soon this weather will cooperate and I can go check it out
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc
  • justintimejustintime Greenhorn Posts: 53 Greenhorn
    I hate to sound simple,... but what the heck is slow pitch jigging? 
    Try this: 

I built a phenix slow pitch blank, which will also double as high speed rig. But essentially slow pitch keeps the jig in the strike zone longer for bottom fish. They fall flat, like a leaf, and you dont reel them up nearly as fast as high speed jigging.

I went out last Friday and tried it out for the first time, and just couldnt get the rhythm down. Didnt have a ton of time since it was a sneak out after work and I was losing daylight, but much practice is needed!
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc