Home Off Topic

Right to Repair

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,337 AG
edited January 2019 in Off Topic #1
Did not realize this was as big of an issue as it seems to be. Just saw a story about Apple and how they are fighting this. Apple apparently isn't the only manufacturer who is doing this. 

I have noticed that most people don't get things repaired any more and I am as guilty as any one of that. It breaks, the cost to get checked and fixed is usually more than the cost to repair. Most small electronics just don't get repaired these days. Never thought how much of it was due to manufacturers designing them to ensure they would not be fixed or have to be fixed by the manufacturer. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Replies

• Fish HaidFish Haid Posts: 8,417 Admiral
    It isn't a "big issue".

I haven't bought anything I can think of that failed before I expected it to in the last 25 years.  Except maybe a manual can-opener, and recently a vape pen.  In fact, most stuff I buy lasts much longer than I expect.  American consumers are MORONS.  They buy USELESS CRAP and finance it!

I did buy an Echo trimmer with a 5-year warranty.  It died and they denied the warranty.  But, I never expected it to last 5 years.
    23895.gif
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 34,337 AG
    edited January 2019 #3
    This isn't about how long an item lasts, but the fact that a lot of manufacturers make their product hard or impossible to repair in the aftermarket. The only way to repair it is to send it to the manufacturer. There was one story where a you tuber got threatened by Apple for posting the schematic of a Macbook. Another was the owner's manual online. I had noticed it was hard to find owner's manuals online any more for many electronics. 10 years ago several websites had them uploaded. Another issue was many cell phone manufacturers take a simple thing like a battery and glue it in. It is all designed to make you buy new products rather then get them repaired. 

Some times a manufacturer won't make parts available in the aftermarket. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,958 Admiral
    I had 1 of those expensive Bunn coffee makers.  The light bulb went out in the on/off switch.  It's made in a single unit that goes right in or out.

I emailed the company to buy a new one.  They don't allow any parts to leave the factory.

You have to ship it in & let them fix it.  The switch pulls right out & push the new one in.  About a 30 second job.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,717 Admiral
    Hmm .....I ordered a replacement solenoid valve for one earlier this year. Direct OEM replacement part.  I'm pretty sure I got it on Amazon. Bunn has an Amazon store.
    I don't remember what it costs but I know it cost less than I thought it would for a stainless steel 1/4" valve.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    But Bunn will sell them for the commercial units. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 7,310 Admiral
    Personally I think Apple is (grossly) overpriced crap, I wouldn't touch anything they sell.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    They might of changed.  It's been about 20 yrs ago.
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 5,438 Admiral
    Apple is a scam. The purposely throttle your device to make you but a new one. Can't add storage... Samsung is superior in every way
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,415 Captain
    My apple computer is 10 years old. Wive has been thru 3 lap tops and one desk top windows based computer in that time. I had to have a power board put in a couple years ago.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 7,310 Admiral
    edited January 2019 #11
    Apple is a scam. The purposely throttle your device to make you but a new one. Can't add storage... Samsung is superior in every way
    I'm always shocked people buy iMacs, given they are desktop computers with limited upgradable parts.  My father just bought a new iMac, it was $2200... I about crapped myself, I built my wife's computer for $800.  And the computer I built has a bigger monitor and more power than that $2200 iMac. 

The throttling apple got caught pulling was unacceptable.   I also hate how they use proprietary cables.  Plus, unless it changed, their phones don't have SD storage upgrades.

I finally got my wife to get off Apple.  She went through 2 iPhones in 8 months.  Meanwhile my galaxy is 3 years old and fine.  I have no idea why people spend so much money on a brand that is extremely limited in capability.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    stc1993 said:
    They might of changed.  It's been about 20 yrs ago.
    Mine happened about 10 years ago. I used to own a Bunn at my house and had the same issue. would not sell to an individual. I got my coffee guy who takes care of the machines at my store to order me a part since the one I had was the same model as they used in offices and they would sell him parts.

I switched to a Keurig a few years ago and sold the Bunn at a garage sale. Love the Keurig. I have thought about looking into their commercial models for my stores. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    I love my I phone. They usually last me over 4 years. If I get 4 years from a phone, I feel I got my money worth. I wouldn’t have a droid or galaxy, hate my wife’s.
    You should have been here yesterday
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 13,306 AG
    I bought a bike online and it was shipped to me.  The front tire was bent, so I emailed them asking if they could send a replacement tire.  There was no discussion, they just sent a boxed new bike and emailed me a return shipping label.

Just bought a external drive that failed right away and they pretty much did the same thing.

Rest in Peace Captain Todd

I have an LG it's 4-5 yrs old.  Only smart phone I've ever owned.  Still has the original battery.
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 12,225 AG
    I have a 6s, I bought it with 64 gig and have 2500 pictures on it, still has 52% space left. If it was ever throttled you couldn’t tell it. I would like to get a new battery, it only last about 10 hours if I’m on the Internet a lot. 
      Before that I had a droid, about 18 months, terrible phone.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 10,513 AG
    It's a big deal for farmers and other heavy equipment users.

One of the  Alfa Romeos won't even let you open the hood.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,286 Captain
    Lowrance electronics are exactly the same. Issues in the first year covered by warranty. That means they send you a new one. Issues in year 2-3, they will sell you a replacement for your unit, or the new one they upgraded it to, for 1/2 the MSRP of a new one. Older than that, sorry buddy, you get to go buy a new one. I had a chart plotter/gps combo that intermittently would turn off. After they tools me that there were no parts or service centers avaliable, I took it apart, found a loose wire, and resoldered it. That is the last Lowrance product I will ever own. Cost new was $1300.00.