Replacement Trailer Axles

On this forum, I've seen discussion regarding torsion versus spring axle trailers.............With that in mind......

I have a 10-year old Continental tandem torsion axle trailer underneath a 19 foot Polar bay boat. Axles a rusted quite badly and need replacement. I know this is the "fishing" form, but noticed no "trailer" forum.

Trailer was bought at the old 951 Trailer facility (now Midgard on the 951).  No issues with the trailer except for lights and tires being replaced.

My question is: What can I expect to pay for replacement axles, spindles and hubs? To include labor for installation? Any suggestions? I live in Naples and can trailer to a competent facility in Naples to Ft. Myers.

Not looking to buy a new trailer as I might sell the boat late in 2019 but I know the axles will not last without a possible severe, read that "catastrophic" break down on the highway. If the price is reasonable, I'd keep the boat and continue to post on the forum. If the price is 80+% of a new trailer, I'd take the hit and play more golf, if you know what I mean!

Any/all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• Lake-LinkerLake-Linker Posts: 96 Greenhorn
    edited January 1 #2
    I paid somewhere around $300 for a 2500lb torsion axle,delivered to my door. WITH hubs. Not sure about labor - after removing the wheels it was 4 bolts then replace the wheels. DIY...Dexter Axle.

Folks there were a huge help. 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,434 Captain
    Go directly to Continental with model/year of your trailer for replacement axle(s) costs... Then go to your nearest trailer shop for a quote on them doing the job.
    Remember that trailer parts can show some rust and still be usable.  The reverse is also true...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Golfn1Golfn1 Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    Call Dave 239-253-6700. He owns affordable trailers I thinks it’s called at 951/41 by 75. He converted my roller trailer to bunks. He’s reasonable and has a quick turnaround. 
  • nightflynightfly Posts: 504 Officer
    Golfn1 said:
    Call Dave 239-253-6700. He owns affordable trailers I thinks it’s called at 951/41 by 75. He converted my roller trailer to bunks. He’s reasonable and has a quick turnaround. 
    Dave is the man.  Very reasonable and honest  
  • MangroovinMangroovin Naples, FLPosts: 127 Deckhand
    Affordable Trailer.  Dave Samuelson is excellent.  He's also a Continental dealer.  (239) 253-6700.  Over in the warehouse area off Mannix Drive east of 951.