Home Fly Fishing

Flyline for east coast snook

ColmColm Posts: 77 Deckhand
I've been using a rio line for fishing the west coast - tropical outbound short wf f/i.

Is there any reason to change up for fishing the beaches along Jupiter or have a 2nd line for different presentation?

Replies

• Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain

I use rio outbound short intermediate shooting heads (or type 3 some days), with an SA braided PE 35lb running line. I use the same setup in 10wt for tarpon. Integrated lines certainly have their benefits, but if rigged correctly they don't outweigh the versatility of a shooting head system. Rigged incorrectly, and you're going to have a miserable experience with them. If this is just a trip for you, and not something you'll be doing regularly, the SA sonar titan intermediate tip is probably the most practical of integrated lines for surf fishing. You'll definitely want a floating running line or the shorebreak is going to eat your lunch. Being able to mend and maintain contact with your fly is critical. Leaders for density compensated setups are simple, 5-7' of straight flourocarbon, no taper.
  • ColmColm Posts: 77 Deckhand
    ODC, apologies for the belated response, between a hernia operation and Christmas, I haven't been at the pc in the last 2 weeks.
    I'll have a look at the SA sonar titan line you mentioned but its sounds like my set up will get me going.
    Can you get away with cold water lines in august or should I leave them at home and just bring tropical lines?
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    Colm said:
    ODC, apologies for the belated response, between a hernia operation and Christmas, I haven't been at the pc in the last 2 weeks.
    I'll have a look at the SA sonar titan line you mentioned but its sounds like my set up will get me going.
    Can you get away with cold water lines in august or should I leave them at home and just bring tropical lines?
      No worries, hope you heal up quick. The sonar titan and obs are virtually identical. The obs has a shorter density compensated tip, so you'll be doing a little more mending, beyond that you're fine. Cold water lines are safe here in the summer months, as long as your line isn't sitting on the deck of a skiff for extended periods of time. For wading or walking the beach they'll work. I use an SA salmon/steelhead taper on my 7wt for juvie tarpon (can't find a tropical line with a long belly), I've been using them for years without issue.