Sarasota inshore?

Been away at school for most of a year (aside from one week in November) and am looking to explore some more of the Sarasota/Venice area inshore on foot or yak. Pretty familiar with fishing the Venice jetty, but what areas are hot this time of year? Was thinking of fishing the flats east of South Lido Park from shore, using some shrimp and small bucktails.
Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.

Replies

• JustKeepSwimmingJustKeepSwimming Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Not sure about this time of year but there's lots of flats you can wade around just north of the Ca' d'Zan. Probably need a day when the sun out and the temps are up. 
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Posts: 628 Officer
    Not sure about this time of year but there's lots of flats you can wade around just north of the Ca' d'Zan. Probably need a day when the sun out and the temps are up. 
    Thanks. Where's the closest place I can enter the water from there? Or possibly launch a kayak?
  • FroglizaFrogliza Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    I am also curious to where to fish from shore in/around Venice. I will be here all week and looking to catch some fish from foot.
  • dcrdcr Posts: 352 Deckhand
    go backwards in the SW fishing forum about a year.  I bet you'll find all you want.
    Frogliza said:
    I am also curious to where to fish from shore in/around Venice. I will be here all week and looking to catch some fish from foot.
    Blackburn Point bridge has been producing well for me with sheepshead and snook. Jetty is great too if the water's clear, just be prepared to lose a lot of tackle.
  • FroglizaFrogliza Posts: 34 Greenhorn
    bigfinn35 said:
    Frogliza said:
    Blackburn Point bridge has been producing well for me with sheepshead and snook. Jetty is great too if the water's clear, just be prepared to lose a lot of tackle.
    All on shrimp at the bridge? And I tried the jetty with no luck but used some shrimp at the Casperson beach bridge and caught a tiny snook and fat slot red. C&R
    Frogliza said:
    bigfinn35 said:
    Frogliza said:
    All on shrimp at the bridge? And I tried the jetty with no luck but used some shrimp at the Casperson beach bridge and caught a tiny snook and fat slot red. C&R
    Yup, I found and used one crab but other than that they were all on shrimp on a jighead. Smaller ones were better to get a reliable hookset. I was fishing the southeast fender.