Fishing off San Marco Rd and Tamiami Trail

Far in advance but daydreaming already....Im going down to Marco april for work, and was curious if your allowed to pull over and cast off san marco road in those ditches, and if there is any chance for little snook or tarpon? if not would it be worth running down tamiami trail to try?
we need more internet money

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 456 Deckhand
      Yes,you can.A number there fishing  already.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,154 Admiral
    Better off the Trail..
    The fish will be in the far backcountry by then..right along the Trail. Small Tarpon live back there all year long. I caught over 50 Tarpon one day , all were between 6 to 12 inches long.
    Crappie jigs work real nice for them
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Lake-LinkerLake-Linker Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    I was amazed at the fish I saw at every stop I made along Loop Rd. Never saw a fisherman....But I assume folks do...Big bass and bream seemed awful skittish but the water was perfectly clear.
  • Mr, GooganMr, Googan Posts: 48 Greenhorn
    Current issue of Fla Sportsman magazine has article on fishing Tamiami Trail.  Steve Kantner who wrote the article also put out a book several years ago about fishing from land and he offers a lot of knowledge from fishing that area.  If you fly fish, he offered the pattern for one he called a "rivet".  When snook travel back there during the colder months they feed on minnows.  The rivet is an awesome fly when you hear snook popping along the trail.

Book -    https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Guide-Fishing-South-Florida/dp/0811712532

Fly Pattern - https://www.saltwatersportsman.com/gallery/photo-galleries/2007/08/tying-rivet

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,154 Admiral
    When I lived in Chokoloskee I saw schools of Snook maybe 10 to 25 pounds laying up in the canal right where you turn off to go to Everglades City...frozen non eating Snook...but they were there. I'd fish Oscars , Mayan Chinchlids ect for bait there...slowly.
    Killin and Grillin :grin