Home General Fishing

Spinning vs. Conventional Casting Reels

landlubberlandlubber Posts: 315 Deckhand
With the improvements in drag strength and new braided lines, I can hardly see a reason to go back to conventional reels. I always loved them but it was mostly for the necessary skill and extra drag strength. In the 30 lb class or lower, using braided line, can someone make some arguments toward conventional reels where casting is involved?

Replies

• razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Admiral
    Using your thumb is full of winning and a sign of nobleness.
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,300 Officer
    Baitcasting reels have there place depending on the lure being used. I like baitcasters for crankbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, frogs and Carolina rigged worming. It just feels right using that type of rod.
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,959 Captain
    With you use a baitcaster you get to do the KVD hook set...
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,377 Captain
    landlubber wrote: »
    With the improvements in drag strength and new braided lines, I can hardly see a reason to go back to conventional reels. I always loved them but it was mostly for the necessary skill and extra drag strength. In the 30 lb class or lower, using braided line, can someone make some arguments toward conventional reels where casting is involved?

It really isn't an issue of which is better, only which is better for you. Baitcasters are lighter, but their center of gravity is on top of the rod, and most are very limited on their line capacity. Spinning reels have more moving parts, and in most cases need frequent servicing (stella, saltiga, VS and ZB, not so much). It really comes down to which you're more comfortable with.
  • landlubberlandlubber Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Well one of the reasons I am all about spinning reels again having been a mostly conventional guy is because none of my friends can use the conventionals. It makes life easy not having to make every cast for them. What situations/scenarios would I want a conventional more? My aim is pretty spot on using both, they now have the same power and I literally can't backlash on a spinning reel. I do like pulling with my left arm and reeling with my right, but it could be habit not preference. I have not used braided line with a conventional reel yet. Does anyone see any difference in their conventional reel's fishing behavior once you wound on braid? ie: do you get more backlashes, less accuracy, more times when the line digs into the spool on a fish, etc?
  • Bassin AssassinBassin Assassin Posts: 1,300 Officer
    No difference for me. I really like braid, especially Power Pro. Put it on tight and should be very little digging into the spool. Zero stretch though and can cause you to miss fish. I like the limpness of it. No coiling of the line. The only problem with braid is wind knots. They are awful.
    Improve Our Fishery - Practice Catch and Release
  • windysurferwindysurfer Posts: 95 Deckhand
    All I use is conventional reels, totally lost the feel for spinning reels. The only advantage's with the spin is you can cast into the wind without having to adjust for it and can load with 8lb braid and get the distance. On the braid for conventional reels, I moved up to 20lb power pro to eliminate the wind loop's, no "dig in" and still get the distance. The Shimano Curado is awesome for inshore!

Oh yea - you never have to worry about line twist with conventional reels!
  • snookcatcher1snookcatcher1 Posts: 256 Deckhand
    Landlubber - You make a really good point. It's amazing how the technology causes significant changes Why conventional? One word ...

Capacity

There are a few surf casters that fish for Tarpon and Black Tip Sharks off the beach. The larger casting conventionals can cast with a loaded spool of 500+ yards of braid on them. If an angler casts 100 yards, and a large fish makes a first run of 200 yards, you can still have 200+ yards left on your spool to play with. If an angler tried that with a spinning reel, he'd get spooled. Admittedly this is a very narrow and specific application that still fits conventionals.

I'm with you though, spinning reels wherever you can use them!
  • MonomanMonoman Posts: 977 Officer
    I use both but for light jigs/lures (< 3/8 oz) I have to use a spinning reel.
    This signature intentionally left blank.
  • YaksquatchYaksquatch Posts: 499 Officer
    If you don't want to use conventional, then don't use conventional tackle. To each their own.

For speed jigging I lean towards conventional, though I have spinners on standby, because you get a smaller more powerful package. Also, when jigging with spinning tackle you always have to be careful not to bash the reel on the gunnel.

For trolling I favor lever drag conventional reels for precise preset drag strengths.

For constant casting and retrieving of lures, I'm favor light spinning tackle.

Good luck,
    Alex
  • reel cowboyreel cowboy Posts: 565 Officer
    I use both spinning & bait casters, depending on the situation. If I'm throwing light lures (soft baits or spoons), I'll pick up a spinning reel & let 'er fly.
    If I'm fishing top water or suspending plugs, then I'll grab my Curado or Chronarch.