Skip to main content
Home Boating

Sportsman Open 252 Opinions/ Reviews?

SkipperSkipper Posts: 75 Greenhorn
I am looking to upgrade as soon as I sell my boat (check out the "Boat for Sale" post) and i have had my eyes on multiple boats in the 25ft size range. My top three right now are the Sea Hunt 25 Gamefish (105k), Sportsman 252 Open w the half tower (125k), and the Blackfin 242 (115k). All of these boats have things that I like and dislike, as of right now the Sportsman stands out to me the most since it has the fishability and the family aspects mixed the best. Just wanted to get some opinions on all three boats!!

Replies

• LMKLMK Posts: 596 Officer
    I have owned a Sportsman 211 Heritage for 3 years; realize it is not the boat you are looking at.
    It has been a great boat. Very comfortable, very capable. No big issues, no cracks or structure problems. 
    Traded all the hinges out to friction & replaced a live well pump in that time frame. 
    The other are great boats as well - really like that Blackfin. Seems to have nice finish and details.
    Overall we have been very satisfied with our Sportsman. Been in the keys several times, gulf multiple time and live on the Atlantic side. Fish the Atlantic regularly when conditions allow. 
    Good Luck Skipper!!!
  • SkipperSkipper Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    LMK, thank you for the information. I appreciate the answer!
  • Eric BEric B Posts: 134 Deckhand
    A buddy has the Sportsman 254. Incredible boat. Fishes like a champ and has all the bells and whistles for creature comforts. Offshore or the Sandbar hands down an impressive vessel.

Good luck!
  • GulfcatGulfcat St MarysPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    Less than a year ago I did the same search and decided on a Cobia. Of course, different individuals may have different needs...I was looking for a fishing boat that had some element of "cruise comfort". I did look at Sportsman and Sea Hunt, but felt that Cobia was a bit better in terms of fit/finish and general quality. That is not to say that Sportsman isn't a good brand. Just MHO.