Home General Hunting

I think Florida should build a wall!

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,722 Captain
And keep everyone else out!  Quota visitation permits for family and friends only (Preference points and all).
If you wanna leave, your free to do so.
We've exceeded the human carrying capacity of the land.
There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.

Replies

• PinmanPinman Posts: 2,765 Captain

Theres been talk about that.

Pretty simple - air conditioning ruined this state. Once people found out they could comfortably live here year round, all bets off.  My Dad, his Dad, slept on sleeping porches in the summer.

Theres no going back and I hate to be pessimistic but Spangler, these are your "Good ole days"

• David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    Hell or high water isn't that far off depending on who you ask. 
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 844 Officer
    Pinman had it half right, those canals in south Florida are the other half , without those ,mosquitos would carry people back north over the wall. I’m not a Florida native but have been here since the early 80’s. Watched Kissimmee/ St.Cloud turn from a cow town to urban sprawl. Moved up to north central Florida and an witnessing the same thing. Guess next move is South Georgia .
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,431 Captain
    How do the canals control mosquitoes? 

Canals drained the swamps = less Mosquitos.  Neighbors friends family homesteaded 50,000 acres in S Fla in the 30's Was only about 5 acres of dry land on the whole thing.  Today, although half the size, its a agri-business mega-plex with cane, oranges, melons, cattle, etc.

Kissimmee/St Cloud growth is tied to the Big Mouse.

• FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,880 Captain
    edited December 2018 #7
    Florida League Against “ Progress”/ FLAP long ago promoted incoming population only allowed per rate permit.
    FLAP published items, so easily elevated to vast audience back then, such as” Living With Roaches In Florida”. 
    FLAP received the attention of the Editor of Field And Stream and Florida Trend.
    i was a founder of FLAP.
    The Development “ Community” and others closely related long ago understood Florida’s Outdoor Constituency/ Hunt needed to be effectively controlled and sequestered regards historical hunter constituency involvement in state conservation lands, planning. We have been posted n the loosing end for a decade or so, thanks to us.
    Instead of a Wall, why not billboards at the State line.......” Visit!...... but don’t move here!”
    i have tried that....... need two million dollars to get it done....
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • LittleBertLittleBert Posts: 203 Deckhand
    I have a nightmare that there is some kind of big civil unrest/war/alien invasion...and the government makes me take a bunch of refugees to camp and farm my land.

Seriously, north Fl and the Panhandle, outside of the big towns are nearly empty as far as population density. Some areas there actually have decreasing populations. I only go south of Melbourne for something really important. Only once in last 5 years. And I refuse to go to Orlando unless its the airport. It's a big dung heap.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    Is FLAP still around?  
    Sounds like the kind of org I'd fit right in.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,540 Admiral
    spangler said:
    And keep everyone else out!  Quota visitation permits for family and friends only (Preference points and all).
    If you wanna leave, your free to do so.
    We've exceeded the human carrying capacity of the land.
    According to libs the state will be under water in a year or two anyways. 

:D
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,880 Captain
    edited December 2018 #11
    Florida Leaque Against aprogress.
    FLAP

I was a founder of Flap.
    Profiled per Florida Trend.
    etc.
    A Bear Hunt , Department of Community Afairs / DCA, FWCC Commissioner  and WMD District appointmentgot in the way of important planned proceedings, but luckily, nothing will change......
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    Unfortunately the same thing is going on in the North too..  retirees from the hot south buying all the land in the north for summer homes...ain’t just Florida!!
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    It is everywhere - population growth.  

• GeetchGeetch St. Pete and JasperPosts: 228 Deckhand
    I'd be ok with an income tax, say 20%, for anyone that moves into the state. Penalize them and it may slow them down. We need some way to slow down the Ohio white trash that move here. 

At one time there was a vehicle registration tax that was paid by out of staters moving into Florida when they wanted Florida tags. I think it was ruled unconstitutional or something.  
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    No biggie. 
    Just amend the constitution!
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,084 Moderator
    Pinman said:

Canals drained the swamps = less Mosquitos.  Neighbors friends family homesteaded 50,000 acres in S Fla in the 30's Was only about 5 acres of dry land on the whole thing.  Today, although half the size, its a agri-business mega-plex with cane, oranges, melons, cattle, etc.

I seem to find more mosquitoes in grassy areas than in the swamps.
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    Dude, I have been saying Florida is full for years. A lot of the people I work with are from up north in the new england area and all they do is complain about the weather, locals and cities being too small. I always tell them to go back because we dont want them here and they are taking up too much space and how we were better off without them, they always laugh and think I am kidding...yeah im so just...kidding. NOT! Go home!!
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,002 Admiral
    Them Northern Folks have paid me enough money to retire to the Big Bend ...and back to Cracker Country...I'm good..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    edited December 2018 #19
    james 14 said:
    Pinman said:

I seem to find more mosquitoes in grassy areas than in the swamps.

Ill have to take you on an Early Teal season hunt on a Lake Okeechobee marsh sometime...

Or maybe a Merritt Island marsh, those salt water Mosquitos don't mess around.

• MaineRidaMaineRida Posts: 186 Deckhand
    Hmmmm, I spent eight years of my life serving this country to be walled out? That is a serious reduction in freedom. I guess there is limited thanks for ones service or thanks but get the heck out? I served , my wife served, my daughter served, my son served and my father served but we should have limited rights to this country? 

I agree with the post that stated the population increase is everywhere.  In Maine you have NJ, NY and Massholes coming north buying the rural land then wanting city amenities implemented and driving up taxes . They price locals out of the opportunity to purchase homes and land.

As is said in many instances, It is what it is.
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,358 Officer
    MaineRida said:
    Hmmmm, I spent eight years of my life serving this country to be walled out? That is a serious reduction in freedom. I guess there is limited thanks for ones service or thanks but get the heck out? I served , my wife served, my daughter served, my son served and my father served but we should have limited rights to this country? 

I agree with the post that stated the population increase is everywhere.  In Maine you have NJ, NY and Massholes coming north buying the rural land then wanting city amenities implemented and driving up taxes . They price locals out of the opportunity to purchase homes and land.

Thats exactly what they are doing here in Florida, the last place of salvation for us is ocala through the panhandle asside from tally.
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,431 Captain
    MaineRida said:

Thats exactly what they are doing here in Florida, the last place of salvation for us is ocala through the panhandle asside from tally.
    I had to flee Ocala because it became too developed and Yankeefied. I now live up on the border. These days I’d put the cutoff of Crackerland north of Gainesville, with Levy county to the west being the southernmost bastion of human deceny left before one enters the unholy wasteland of urbanite hordes that is South Florida. 

;) 
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 158 Deckhand
    Id be down for a wall on the the southern border of martin county! Everybody from down south is starting to come up here! it is gonna be like boca in 10 years. 
    Go0gan said:
    Id be down for a wall on the the southern border of martin county! Everybody from down south is starting to come up here! it is gonna be like boca in 10 years. 

Let me slip over first!

I understand you cant ban people. But you can make it more difficult. Florida and especially South Florida is a unique ecosystem.  The Florida Keys are an entirely different type of environment.  In order to build in The Keys, in addition to purchasing a lot, you must build up points by buying vacant land and agreeing not to ever allow building on them (ROGO). Something like that may be needed. Or make impact fees higher.  But then only the rich can afford it and those who work in service and retail have a hard time finding housing (which is how The Keys are).

Or if love hunting and hate the crowds you just plan on moving to Kansas, Nebraska, Idaho, or Wyoming like I am!!

Pin - those states get mighty chilly come winter.  You gonna do that snow bird migrating thing?
    Western cold is not like Eastern Cold.  If Im semi-retired Ill just hole up in the basement.  Im Florida born but I guess I have a lot of my Moms cold tolerant Kentucky genes.  I hate hunting in 80 degrees!
    When I was out west, it was just as cold as being up east.  Ice still freezes.

Agreed with the not wanting to hunt in 80+ degree temps.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    I'm getting a kick out of all the "southerners" that are here.....Funny how once mommy and Daddy got here ...we need to close the borders. LOL 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • gladesmangladesman Posts: 1,362 Officer
    Pinman said:

Surprising to me that no big science group hasn't noticed the distinct Lack of mosquitoes in Big Cypress over past decade or more. Some around daylight and dusk but not many other times. Kinda spooky to me since I remember the hordes of them for 40 years before today - regional old timers told me that cattle used to die down here from their nostrils being stuffed with mosquitoes. No worry of that nowadays. Seems like with the 5-6 million acres of swamps down here the mo's would still be much more bothersome.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,722 Captain
    edited December 2018 #31

duckmanJR said:
    I'm getting a kick out of all the "southerners" that are here.....Funny how once mommy and Daddy got here ...we need to close the borders. LOL 
    When you're born here and grow up here.. and watch snowbirds come down every year in hordes.. and a bunch of northerners move here and start influencing our politics and environment.. take up all the beach front with their vacation homes.. and act like they own the place.. while we watch them destroy our home and pride and joy..
    Sorry to hear it's happening in other places.  It's been happening here a long time.
    1 generation or 5.. it hurts.  It's painful.  I used to feel like my Dad had it so good growing up here.  The stories I heard.  Shucking oysters on the shores of hillsborough river!  Hunting and camping pretty much anywhere you want.  Pictures of fish hauls..
    And now, in my short life, I feel for anyone today, who didn't see what I saw, which isn't as good as what my dad saw.. and it makes me think
    What will it look like tomorrow?
    So yeah, when some **** yanks get on here and promote spraying our water and telling us not to worry about this and that.... GO F Yourselves
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.