Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Lost the passion for fishing - has this happened to anyone else?

I just don't seem to care anymore. What was once the most enjoyable pastime I had has faded in importance to the point that I just don't care anymore. I hope the fire comes back. The last few trips out with the grandkids I just was the tackle master helping them set up and bait and didn't even wet a line myself.

Has anyone else lost the drive and enthusiasm to fish? Does it return?

Thanks - Ken

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 8,601 Moderator
    Over the years, I've had the desire ebb and flow. the past couple of years have ebbed but I've had it on my mind more here lately. I think I've been so involved with changing my life from actively working to a modified retirement deal that I've not had the time to think about it.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• trout069trout069 Posts: 5,120 Admiral
    It comes and goes. I used to be in the hooch at least 150 days a year. Then slowed way down. Got another fishing partner and from spring back to fall forward and then some every Saturday. Last 2 years not so much. But the itch is back. From 2 Saturday’s from now till the trout quit eating, I will be gone to South Carolina. And maybe our to White river in Arkansas in January. Have to big boxes of streamers for big brown trout. 
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 173 Deckhand
    I did the same ...a Harley took the place and time that was set aside for fishing for about 7 years ...now i have returned to fishing at least twice a week ...inshore salt ...also freshwater  and rediscovering it👍🏻🙂
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,950 Captain
    Sad to say, I know the feeling.  Life, work, kids in sports...tough to find time
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,575 Captain
    Still have the desire just a lot harder to find the time.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,574 AG
    The longer you stay away from it the harder it will be to get the itch back. It's been hard for me to get in the woods, just not feeling it with warmer weather, the cold days I'm at work LOL...
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • skyway andeskyway ande Posts: 3,813 Captain
    How’s the new house coming along, Micci?
    God, save the South!

Good. It'll be close to being in by Christmas. Should have power connected within 72 hrs, passed final elec inspection yesterday. Still a few things to do.  
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • billybobbillybob Posts: 926 Officer
    The thought of being able to go offshore fishing is what has been keeping me going.  Life's troubles can sure wear you down. I don't get to go much
  • AnchorbaitAnchorbait CrawfordvillePosts: 125 Deckhand
    I'm in a completely different place I guess. Can't wait to see the rod double over again in spring. I'll gladly rig a pole for the grandkids cause one never knows how many riggins one has left on this earth, so enjoy every minute of time you have with the people closest to you, and always make time for the woods. Please don't forget to bring the grandkiddos cause its memories they'll keep with them long after we're gone.
  • CranfieldCranfield Posts: 1,478 Officer
    A deliberate change of lifestyle has reduced my opportunities and I find myself doing other things, like increasing our travelling opportunities.
    For the first time since I was 8 years old, I do not own any fishing equipment, guns, or have a dog.
    That doesn't stop me looking at every water I pass and see the best spots, or stand and watch the birds and judge a good place for a hide and I am prone to make a fuss of any dog that will let me.
    When I do get an invite to shoot or fish, I make every effort to be there, I still have the buzz, but I am not as good as I once was (that goes for quite a few things :) ).
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    I agree it can ebb and flow. A lot depends on our everyday priorities. I remember working hard, leaving work late and heading out for a long drive to fish or hunt the weekend with tons of enthusiasm and being back to work early Monday with fire to do it again as soon as possible. Now that work week makes me want to relax and ease through the weekend. I don't enjoy the fighting traffic on long rides or the boat ramp nut jobs in today's world. I still am passionate about the good days and often go to be with the family and to help the youngsters learn. Rather see them succeed in fishing and hunting! Memories is what I build today with the family. They all get tickled when I grab a rod because the bites on, or hand the little gal my rod to hold when I know there's a fish on it. Hey I'm starting to get excited about going this weekend after the 1 year old's BD party!!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,997 Captain
    I still enjoy a good trip offshore,  but am realistic about my capabilities.  We used to only schedule a trip when conditions allowed 2 or 3 consecutive days to fish .  Now we are ok with 1 good day offshore.

I don't enjoy hunting by myself as much as I did when I was younger and the drive to take the biggest or the most is not as strong .  These days,  I get up early and check the weather while I make my coffee.  If I have someone to hunt or fish with, we make plans.  Otherwise , I make more coffee .  What I really enjoy most now is taking friends and family to places they are not familiar with and allowing them to experience something they couldn't afford otherwise  (time and money).  That's why I still enjoy our Keys adventures each year.   I can share my knowledge & experience of an area and a fishery most couldn't afford otherwise.  Besides, it keeps me out of pool halls and such 😁
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    All it takes is one of those killer trips Ken, and the smile won’t go away for a month. 

Life owes you a trip like that so get out there and give it a go
       Cranfield said:
    A deliberate change of lifestyle has reduced my opportunities and I find myself doing other things, like increasing our travelling opportunities.
    For the first time since I was 8 years old, I do not own any fishing equipment, guns, or have a dog.
    That doesn't stop me looking at every water I pass and see the best spots, or stand and watch the birds and judge a good place for a hide and I am prone to make a fuss of any dog that will let me.
    When I do get an invite to shoot or fish, I make every effort to be there, I still have the buzz, but I am not as good as I once was (that goes for quite a few things :) ).
    Did I read this correctly??? :o
    micci_man said:
       Cranfield said:
    Some kind of fever I'd guess. :)

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    micci_man said:
       Cranfield said:
    Some kind of fever I'd guess. :)

I can't imagine him without a fly rod or a fouling piece...I just can't.
    There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
    Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.
    micci_man said:

Good. It'll be close to being in by Christmas. Should have power connected within 72 hrs, passed final elec inspection yesterday. Still a few things to do.  
    That’s awesomeness!
    Merry Christmas to you!
    God, save the South!
    micci_man said:
       Cranfield said:
    Did I read this correctly?
    If it sounds strange to everyone, imagine how strange it seems to me.
    Consideration for my wife's comfort and recognising the march of the years, we have moved from the large isolated country cottage to a superb apartment, 2 bed/2 bath,balcony,uniterrupted sea views across the English Channel, concierge entry, private lift, perfect "lock up and leave".
    Neither of us wanted to move, but recognised the facts of life.
    To lessen the pain, she has been able to completely redecorate , refurnish and equip the apartment before we moved in, she now has complete "ownership" of the place.

My wife can now walk to the shops and all other services, or get the car out (underground garage), or call a cab.
    No more worrying for me about the care of the large lawns, trees, shrubs and borders, no property maintenance costs or concerns.
    All a small price to pay for giving up the things I love so much and found it increasingly difficult to enjoy to their full potential.
    I was a very good shot (60+ years practise does that) and it disappoints me not to be as good now and the long days were becoming hard work.
    Arthritis in old joints can screw up quite a few activities. 

We will now find it easier to travel (without all the work on our return) and are currently in Tenerife, Canary Islands, in a villa, where we will remain ( 78F today) until mid January. The two daughters are flying out for varying stays during this period, which makes it even more fun.

I haven't totally retired and when opportunities arise I will take them and enjoy it.

It sounds great Cran. Congratulations.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Gary SGary S Posts: 2,207 Captain

The last few trips out with the grandkids I just was the tackle master helping them set up and bait and didn't even wet a line myself.

Thanks - Ken

This sounds are enjoyable than catching any fish you can name.

Gary S said:

The last few trips out with the grandkids I just was the tackle master helping them set up and bait and didn't even wet a line myself.

Thanks - Ken

Gary S is correct Ken. I'd enjoy that more than catching myself.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Wow, Cranfield, that’s incredible news.
    congrats!
    God, save the South!
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,312 Admiral
    Gary S said:

Thanks - Ken

Gary S is correct Ken. I'd enjoy that more than catching myself.

Yes that is indeed delightful. They don't care what they catch as long as they are catching fish. I look forward to spring and summer so that I can get them out more. I WILL make the time for them. I only pray my body and health hold up so that I can enjoy their smiles and laughter for a while longer.

As with Mr. Cranfield age is slowing me down.

Although I do not know you Mr. Cranfield I wish you the best in this new retirement.

• FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 2,996 Captain
    Old Dog said:
    We just spent a month on SGI and I went every day the weather allowed.
    OD
    Teacher retirement system pays good.  LOL  :)
    Proverbs 13:3
  • Old DogOld Dog Posts: 554 Officer
    Ha! Brad, we wish. But as you know many of us old teachers lead simple lives and have learned to set aside a little for things we really like to do such as travel, and take long fishing trips. It won't be many years before you join our ranks.  :)
    OD
    Old Dog said:
    At 76 I have noticed an ebbing in some things but not the desire to fish. I still want to go and go often. We just spent a month on SGI and I went every day the weather allowed. Health is great, no issues, I walk 4 miles a day, so keeping fit and healthy helps. So far.
    OD
    I am glad you are still fishing, yours is one of the invitations I am counting on.:)
    Cranfield said:
    Old Dog said:
    At 76 I have noticed an ebbing in some things but not the desire to fish. I still want to go and go often. We just spent a month on SGI and I went every day the weather allowed. Health is great, no issues, I walk 4 miles a day, so keeping fit and healthy helps. So far.
    OD
    I am glad you are still fishing, yours is one of the invitations I am counting on.:)

Does this mean you are planning a return trip to the colonies?

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Cranfield said:
    Old Dog said:
    OD

Does this mean you are planning a return trip to the colonies ?

A distinct possibility for 2019.