Home General Hunting

Public land hunting

2»

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    Nice, that's a  perfect hog-hunting pillow. 

Someone actually "disagreed" w/my post above, lol.

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,559 Captain
    Thanks!   That 'killer-dog' is a real monster. Hogs beware! 
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 158 Deckhand
    lookin said:
    Sounds like a fun hunt man, I might be lookin for a tree to climb quickly with pigs runnin all around me.  lol  Congrats on the pork.
    Fun hunt to say the least! I found a new gate never knew was there, walking only, THICK THICK THICK oaks and undergrowth like you wouldn't believe. There wasn't more than a few feet of space without head high growth  (which I need to learn the names of) everywhere you looked. (Sun went down on me making it tough tl find a good route back out with out having to make a couple u turns dragging my new friend). I wasn't more than a few hundred yards into that **** which took forever, freeing myself from whole on thorn branches and ducking through oak branches. Once I was in a bit I heard them walking through east of me behind a big oak with thorn bushes to the max to the north then something that looked like real dense corn stalks to the west. I dropped down to a knee with like a 3 foot circle in front of me of "clearing." Had the wind in my face and I guess they thought I was another boar because once they hit the corn looking stuff they charged. Heart pumping I held my ground seeing a few black hides through the tan corn stuff. Still held, then one came charging right in front of my little spot saw me hined up to turn around but when he landed met him with that head shot. The others all took off in every direction. He actually made it deep into the thorns with bassically no head left. The others stuck around close while I patiently walked in and popped him again with my nine to his ear. 
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,384 Officer
    This crap is getting too deep now! How do you shoot a hog or any animal and not draw blood? Are we supposed to give them a bath before taking pics? Here's an idea; if blood turns you off then don't hunt or look at pics of dead animals. How does the wimpy public respond to pics and videos of bloody wounds of our troops in the sand box? Get over it!
    edited December 2018 #36
    "How do you shoot a hog or any animal and not draw blood?"
    Good point!  Hunting on F/S draws a tremendous amount of interest:

'Drawing blood' is part of hunting. For those who may not like hunting, there are alternatives...

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG

Someone actually "disagreed" w/my post above, lol.

Gene disagrees with everyone but Moe and Larry... LOL 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Hunting is considered to be a blood sport and dead animals with blood don't faze me in the least. However failing to consider people that might be turned off by it, is highly foolish. These folks do not hunt, and may agree with us that hunting is a long held tradition that should be protected, yet certain aspects of our pastime might cause a transition of their beliefs over time. BIG POINT - There's more of them than there are of us; so we should not do anything that might cause any negative thoughts. My wife supports hunting,  but is quick to point out things that are poorly filmed on outdoor shows that make her cringe. The old days of wearing tee shirts that read "Happiness is a warm gut pile", are long gone.  Twenty-two million residents in this state and a couple of million hunters +/-.... Do the math and realize we need to sell the positives of hunting. I have pics I show my buds but will not show them to the young folks that I work with. 
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    edited December 2018 #39
     "Twenty-two million residents in this state and a couple of million hunters +/-.... Do the math and realize we need to sell the positives of hunting."    Absolutely!
    Been hunting in Florida for well over 60 years. The harvesting of game is a very important part of hunting. Love to pull that trigger? You had better believe it.  
    For most of us, 'being with nature' is every bit as exciting.
    Often I will just sit back and watch...

How exciting it was to take that picture.
    I often hunt with my camera. Glad I used a camera instead of a gun this time. Look at what came out a few minutes later:

For those who have never seen Our Florida in the RAW, you have no idea what you are missing. 
    For those who have never tried an 'all natural,' nothing artificial, dinner... you have no idea what you are missing:

"hunting is a long held tradition that should be protected"  Well said; very well said!
  • dixiedaddixiedad Posts: 369 Deckhand
    I am a hunter, I am not "turned off" by photos of dead deer or hogs. What I am opposed to is my fellow hunters posting overly bloody pictures all over social media for the non hunters of  the "wimpy Public" to see. We can show off our kills without zooming in on the blood and guts. Like Swampwalker pointed out, we are a minority. 
    Very well said!
    Thank you sir. I agree with you 100% about taking in and enjoying nature. Us hunters, see some awsome things in the woods,  and if we don't enjoy being out there we should not be hunting in the first place. By the way your bar b q pig  looks great.   
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,002 Admiral
    .First trip I took my Bride to Black Water in the Panhandle we were driving around just enjoying the day and we stopped at a little river..walked on down and there were several gutted and mangled deer and gut piles laying in the water.
    Made a nice spot smell like crap and blow fly's everywhere.
    She said something along the lines of Why do Hunters do this to the stream..I didn't have much to say...
    She's never been a hunter and comes from a Non Hunting family ..Bet she was impressed...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    That's pretty sad, bet she will not forget that one. Its a shame that the actions of a few slobs make us all look bad.
    edited December 2018 #45
    So glad it's only a few~
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 158 Deckhand

Dang was just proud of my piggy there fellas. I don't think a clean headshot makes me a slob, or sharing it on a forum of hunters for that matter.

Go0gan, I wasn't calling you a slob hunter, and I really wasn't trying to offend you. That's a nice hog and you made a good shot on it. I just really think we (any of us hunters) are wrong to post overly bloody pictures of our kills on social media, it offends a lot of people and the antis will use it against us whenever they can, they don't like us and they hate our sport. Again, sorry if offended you.   
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    Googan, when I shoot a hog next time I'll take it by the undertaker to have it
    spruced up, patch the bullet hole, a little makeup here and there.. maybe comb
    it's hair before posting a photo here.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,002 Admiral
    That's why I carry little Bows in my knapsack.
    Blue for Boars and Pink for sows . Anything under 50 pounds gets a baby bottle stuck in it's mouth..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    GoOgan your pic is fine for us hunters. Just hate to see an anti prowling our forum and picture "mining" to use against us in social media.  Good hunting and be safe!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"