Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Winter question

I am new to Choko; I head out through Rabbit Pass just because that's the way someone showed me.  I have had some success on the outside island on the south side but that was in the warmer months.  A couple of weeks ago I fished, it was COLD, no luck outside, inside was a little better.  

I am heading out this Thursday and will change my tactics, I plan on buying frozen finger mullet, live shrimp, and possibly crabs. I will concentrate on holes/channels near island points to search for Redfish, sheepshead, black drum, etc.  I should be on the last of the falling tide and first part of the rise.  I fish out of 16' action craft.

Should I stay inside/ will the outside flats produce in the winter?  Would it be better to push north of rabbit pass and work those islands?  And IF I were to look for live bait where should I start.  Sorry for the long post.  Not looking for top secret information, any suggestions are welcome.  Thanks!

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 586 Officer
       A guide who spoke at our fishing club meeting made
    the statement you can catch fish in cold water or warm
    water as long it lasts only three days.Fish can adjust but
    generally takes three days to do it.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,626 Captain
    Fish are moving inside now that it’s getting colder... Since you’re already going out of Rabbit come south and begin to learn the entrances to Huston and the Chatham... 

Do your best to hook up with someone that runs up inside before going there on your own...
    In winter  live shrimp or shrimp tipped buck tails  will get you started. 

You up can jump start the learning curve by hooking up with a local or fishing with a guide for a day.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • um#1um#1 Posts: 34 Deckhand
    Lemaymiami, thanks for giving me some direction. I haven't ran that far south yet. I will definitely be giving it a try. I will look at the tide schedule for that location on Thursday. If it looks sketchy pushing in, I have a trolling motor and a push pole to get past any questionable areas. 
    Thanks again.