Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Trout, anyone?

NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 608 Officer
I knew they got hit hard by the red tide but I'm beginning to worry. I've spent a good 12 hours in the last week or so drifting flats and potholes all across PIS, and I didn't even get a sniff on shrimp, swimbaits or vudu shrimp. I was fishing flats that I have caught fish on every cast in years past, like Chino, Wulfert, Rocky channel, the fish shacks, captiva rocks. The pinfish are so thick on some flats that it looks like a bait ball is chasing my lure in every cast, however not a single trout even seen in the crystal clear water. What's funny is I caught a few trout about a month or so ago, and then they vanished. So, is anyone out there catching trout in the area? Not looking for honey holes, just wondering if I've lost my touch. Seems to me that sea trout should be closed for harvest more than the snook and reds at this point. Saw plenty of snook and reds throughout the sound albeit a bit chilly today in the 62 degree water. Looks like sheepshead is gonna be the only game this winter during cold fronts.

Replies