Home Off Topic

Jimmy V Week

2»

Replies

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,312 Admiral
    Gardawg said:
    I spent ten years working in a county hospital. 600 beds. Great care for the patients.

County sold it to a for profit medical group.  Fired long time employees and brought in new hires ( inexperienced rookies with minimal training ).  

Patient care went downhill fast. 

And the last time I was hospitalized with herniated discs the doctors at the hospital here in Islamorada wanted to send me home with a opiate prescription. 

I asked why they weren't going to send me to Miami and be treated with a steroid injection.

They said Medicare wouldn't pay for it.  I said that I'd pay for it out of my own pocket. They still weren't going to send me. I asked them why. They hemmed and hawed.  I said my brother-in-law has a dozen lawyers in his firm that  would find out the reason. 

Apparently those were the  magic words. 
    Went to Baptist Hospital in an ambulance.

The docs were looking forward to a payback from the opioid manufacturer.

I'm not cynical. I'm realistic. 

Naïve folk often think knowledgeable folk are cynical.

What does that have to do with contributions to a charitable organization?
    It means the profit motive often corrupts what should be a process that heals someone not just treats their symptoms.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,038 Admiral
    Gardawg said:
    Gardawg said:
    I spent ten years working in a county hospital. 600 beds. Great care for the patients.

County sold it to a for profit medical group.  Fired long time employees and brought in new hires ( inexperienced rookies with minimal training ).  

Patient care went downhill fast. 

And the last time I was hospitalized with herniated discs the doctors at the hospital here in Islamorada wanted to send me home with a opiate prescription. 

I asked why they weren't going to send me to Miami and be treated with a steroid injection.

They said Medicare wouldn't pay for it.  I said that I'd pay for it out of my own pocket. They still weren't going to send me. I asked them why. They hemmed and hawed.  I said my brother-in-law has a dozen lawyers in his firm that  would find out the reason. 

Apparently those were the  magic words. 
    Went to Baptist Hospital in an ambulance.

The docs were looking forward to a payback from the opioid manufacturer.

I'm not cynical. I'm realistic. 

Naïve folk often think knowledgeable folk are cynical.

What does that have to do with contributions to a charitable organization?
    It means the profit motive often corrupts what should be a process that heals someone not just treats their symptoms.

100% on the money donated to the v foundation goes for cancer research. When I have time I’ll tell y’all how the docs CURED my wife’s cancer
    You should have been here yesterday
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,038 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    I know nothing on the subject? I've summer interned at hospitals.  Have you?  My father, until retirement, was a director at a major hospital.  The industry has changed, I've heard it from the horses mouth.  Have you?  Didn't think so.  Talk about ignorant posts, you nailed the ignorant part.  

Edit
    The hospital in which I have worked at in the past, fired their MD head and replaced him with an MBA......  because it is a business now, not a service.
    I just had to laugh at this again. Please tell me what you learned in your summer intern job... you can’t be serious. :D

or whatbyour daddy told you at the dinner table?? You have no more knowledge on the subject than a guy in the street. Only difference, the guy on the street knows ha doesn’t know anything. Your “ credentials “ are hilarious... thanks for the laugh :D
    You should have been here yesterday
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,328 Moderator
    Resinhead said:
    Starts today on ESPN. Watching the 30 for 30 now. Good stuff.

The world needs more guys like Jimmy V.

And a cure needs to be found.

http://www.jimmyv.org
    Lets try to get this back on topic. The Jimmy V Foundation does great work. Donate if you feel the urge.

Several on here need to go start their own thread bashing the medical industry.

I donated.
    "What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

RJG

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,399 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    I know nothing on the subject? I've summer interned at hospitals.  Have you?  My father, until retirement, was a director at a major hospital.  The industry has changed, I've heard it from the horses mouth.  Have you?  Didn't think so.  Talk about ignorant posts, you nailed the ignorant part.  

Edit
    The hospital in which I have worked at in the past, fired their MD head and replaced him with an MBA......  because it is a business now, not a service.
    I just had to laugh at this again. Please tell me what you learned in your summer intern job... you can’t be serious. :D

or whatbyour daddy told you at the dinner table?? You have no more knowledge on the subject than a guy in the street. Only difference, the guy on the street knows ha doesn’t know anything. Your “ credentials “ are hilarious... thanks for the laugh :D
    No thanks. 

1) you have made up your mind already, nothing I say will alter your biased perspective.

2) this thread has been de-railed enough, thanks to your swinging.  I'll be letting the folks here get back to it.  You can of course do as you please.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    Fly Hooker wrote: »
    I agree what a great guy!

He gave the most inspiring and emotional speech I have ever heard. Gets real dusty and I get choked up, every time I hear it.
    Yep. Another one of a kind.

"Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,399 Admiral
    My favorite video is still V running around the court after he won the title.  Great stuff.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton