Pompano OBS

One DropOne Drop Posts: 170 Deckhand
Caught some nice pompano over the weekend.  Ormond Beach area. Clams, shrimp and sandfleas.  Last hour of incoming and first 2 hours of the outgoing.  Weather changed on Sunday and killed the bite at my house.  

Replies

• saltyreefersaltyreefer Posts: 244 Deckhand
    Nice haul!! :-)
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 170 Deckhand
    Thanks man!!  Fun day on the beach, I was exhausted after that.  Also got a dozen blues or so.  
  • Capjohnson.mikeCapjohnson.mike Posts: 77 Greenhorn
    Those a studs man!
  • BasstarBasstar Posts: 517 Officer
    Very nice catches Sir. If I may ask what are those rod, reel, and line combos you're using?  I'm asking as I'm wanting to put together a couple of surf outfits myself for Pompano and in my mind envision something similar. I'm really not sure what length and weight rod nor reel size series to purchase. Thanks in advance. 
    edited December 2018 #6
    I'm not using anything too exoenaiex.  For reel I'm using some Quantum Optix 60's I buy at walmart for $30, if you take care of uiuy gear those reels last about 3yrs or so and I always keep a couple extra in the package in case one just gives out. I'm using Ande rods, two 10’ and one 12'.  They run about $50 or $60 each.  The line I'm using is 20lb Ande in pink and 15lb Berkeley Big Game in high vis green.  Not the highest quality of gear but it works for me and I can spend a few extra bucks on my gear for inshore.  You should check out the gear Larry uses, he can throw a mile out to sea.  Hope I helped a little.  
    Thanks a ton and yes. This is exactly the type of info I'm wanting. I was hoping for good bang for the buck tackle to get started. Again those are very nice fish. 
    BTW. It catches my eye that you're using mono. Of course I use and have used mono for years and have had great success with Big Game over the years evem fishing tournaments but somehow thought everyone had moved to braid. You also mentioned Larry. Is he using mono or does he use braid as his main line?  I'm checking out the rods and reels you mentioned and again I thank you for the help.  
    edited December 2018 #9
    I never really paid attention to the line he uses.  Just listened to him intensely, that man will teach you tricks you didn't even know existed.  He has how to videos on YouTube. I use mono surf fishing for various reasons, mainly because it's way cheaper to spool up a surf reel that way and since I'm going for pompano mainly I don't worry about toothy critters in the mix, plus the rig utself is mono.  It sucks to lose a rig but I am targeting pomps, reds and whiting so losing a few rigs to a shark or blue doesn't bother me.  I hate losing a sputnik but I make my own pompano rigs. Also braid is a bich on the beach when you get a tangle or worse, tangle a bird.  Wrestling a pelican or tern while trying to cut braid can be a chore whereas with mono I can get the bird in, throw a towel over it and get it released quicker.  Mono is just easier to handle on the beach imo. 
    Thanks and actually this is a relief because although I use some braid mono is easier in many ways from my perspective. 
  • Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,437 Admiral
    LARRY USES STRICTLY MONO....JUST SO YOU KNOW.