Home General Hunting

Public land hunting

Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 158 Deckhand
Gets wayy too much hate down here. Pick a wma to make your homebase. Google earth the hell out of it then go walking. Saw atleast 6 deer this week. 2 bucks one was 9 pts. And last night got toooo deep into the hogs. Incredible cover, bushes and thorns, a whole squad was running round me in a frenzy not knowing what was up or down. 

Replies

• harbisonharbison Posts: 4,574 Captain
    Tell me about it!~   Thanks for sharing. 
  • dixiedaddixiedad Posts: 369 Deckhand
    Ok, here's what I think, like anybody cares, you're right about the management area, but why do you feel like you need to post a gross picture of a bloody pig like this ? I've been a hunter all my life and I am not  squeamish about blood, but, I think we do our sport a big injustice when we put the bloodiest pictures we can find out there for the anti-hunters to see and use to build their case to end a sport we love. There was a post made recently on here where a hunter ? suggested we "gut shoot every hog we see", don't think for a minute that some anti-hunter would hesitate to use that kind of statement against us. Sorry for the rant, I just feel we should not glorify the nastiest part of a hunt.  
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,026 Admiral
    Dang nice headshot..
    I'd have cleaned the picture up a bit myself.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Mr_WatsonMr_Watson Ten Thousand IslandsPosts: 115 Deckhand
    New Hunter only know public land hunting and love it! I like the idea of a true "wild" animal. Getting to "know" a true wilderness is part of the fun for me .
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 158 Deckhand
    Open to suggestions on how to clean up a head wound from a 3inch mag buck shot shell straight to the forehead. A mask maybe? Flowers? lol 
  • hunterjwhunterjw Posts: 443 Deckhand
    Go0gan said:
    Open to suggestions on how to clean up a head wound from a 3inch mag buck shot shell straight to the forehead. A mask maybe? Flowers? lol 
    Santa hat!  

At the end of the day your never gonna please the antis.  Next thing you know the deer picture with tongue out is unacceptable!  Enjoy the pork, if anything you preserved two shoulders of meat that most people ruin with a bullet.

"He who hoots with the owls at night will not soar with the eagles at dawn"

hunterjw said:
    Go0gan said:
    Santa hat!  

At the end of the day your never gonna please the antis.  Next thing you know the deer picture with tongue out is unacceptable!  Enjoy the pork, if anything you preserved two shoulders of meat that most people ruin with a bullet.

just smoked one up last night. Had the rest on a publix roll with cole slaw for lunch!
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,540 Admiral

At the end of the day your never gonna please the antis. 

If I can add, 
    You’re never going to please anyone and everyone 

To the OP, do your thing and remain proud. Don’t let anyone dictate how you should live your life (but I bet you already live that)
    👍
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,386 Officer
    Sounds like a fun hunt man, I might be lookin for a tree to climb quickly with pigs runnin all around me.  lol  Congrats on the pork.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 8,026 Admiral
    That's why I do Neck Shots...keeps them Hogs Photogenic. Nothing like a pretty hog...: }
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    dixiedad said:
    Ok, here's what I think, like anybody cares, you're right about the management area, but why do you feel like you need to post a gross picture of a bloody pig like this ? I've been a hunter all my life and I am not  squeamish about blood, but, I think we do our sport a big injustice when we put the bloodiest pictures we can find out there for the anti-hunters to see and use to build their case to end a sport we love. There was a post made recently on here where a hunter ? suggested we "gut shoot every hog we see", don't think for a minute that some anti-hunter would hesitate to use that kind of statement against us. Sorry for the rant, I just feel we should not glorify the nastiest part of a hunt.  
    a small minority will disagree with you.....the majority of folks will agree and in the future will limit hunting using photos like this to back their cause.....remember the bear hunting deal ?? 
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    The pics may not bother hunters, but they might sway a voter on the fence to vote yes, if someone floats a poorly worded amendment one day. We can beat our chests all we want and lose in an election. Hunting is to darn important for us to take public sentiment lightly. Every day, we have to be an ambassador for hunting and should be putting our best forward. Not busting your chops but just saying we may should consider others views in this case. Social media can be a terrible thing....
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,054 Captain
    Oh GOOD LORD!
    This is gonna go south quick.
    Nice piggy Go0gan, perfect shot and good eats. let em cry
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    There's the small minority that was mentioned. We are our own worst enemies when we don't consider anyone beyond ourselves.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,054 Captain
    Yes Sir! OUR OWN WORST ENEMIES.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    lookin said:
    Sounds like a fun hunt man, I might be lookin for a tree to climb quickly with pigs runnin all around me.  lol  Congrats on the pork.
    Fun hunt to say the least! I found a new gate never knew was there, walking only, THICK THICK THICK oaks and undergrowth like you wouldn't believe. There wasn't more than a few feet of space without head high growth  (which I need to learn the names of) everywhere you looked. (Sun went down on me making it tough tl find a good route back out with out having to make a couple u turns dragging my new friend). I wasn't more than a few hundred yards into that **** which took forever, freeing myself from whole on thorn branches and ducking through oak branches. Once I was in a bit I heard them walking through east of me behind a big oak with thorn bushes to the max to the north then something that looked like real dense corn stalks to the west. I dropped down to a knee with like a 3 foot circle in front of me of "clearing." Had the wind in my face and I guess they thought I was another boar because once they hit the corn looking stuff they charged. Heart pumping I held my ground seeing a few black hides through the tan corn stuff. Still held, then one came charging right in front of my little spot saw me hined up to turn around but when he landed met him with that head shot. The others all took off in every direction. He actually made it deep into the thorns with bassically no head left. The others stuck around close while I patiently walked in and popped him again with my nine to his ear. 
    lookin said:
    Fun hunt to say the least! I found a new gate never knew was there, walking only, THICK THICK THICK oaks and undergrowth like you wouldn't believe. There wasn't more than a few feet of space without head high growth  (which I need to learn the names of) everywhere you looked. (Sun went down on me making it tough tl find a good route back out with out having to make a couple u turns dragging my new friend). I wasn't more than a few hundred yards into that **** which took forever, freeing myself from whole on thorn branches and ducking through oak branches. Once I was in a bit I heard them walking through east of me behind a big oak with thorn bushes to the max to the north then something that looked like real dense corn stalks to the west. I dropped down to a knee with like a 3 foot circle in front of me of "clearing." Had the wind in my face and I guess they thought I was another boar because once they hit the corn looking stuff they charged. Heart pumping I held my ground seeing a few black hides through the tan corn stuff. Still held, then one came charging right in front of my little spot saw me hined up to turn around but when he landed met him with that head shot. The others all took off in every direction. He actually made it deep into the thorns with bassically no head left. The others stuck around close while I patiently walked in and popped him again with my nine to his ear. 
  • elpollolocoelpolloloco JACKSONVILLEPosts: 304 Deckhand
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 3,468 Captain
    No hate from me. Ours is a blood sport. I’m not ashamed of it. Haters gonna hate and antis gonna anti. We’re our own worst enemies when we self righteousness judge each other’s hunting. Be safe, be legal, respect your fellow man, do your best to make clean kills. All hunting ethics that matter fall in those 4 areas.

An anti could just as easily quote a criticism of the picture as proof that hunters are intellectually dishonest about hunting and try to whitewash the reality of it, and encourage other hunters to do so.  

edited December 2018 #21
    "No hate from me. Ours is a blood sport. An anti could just as easily quote a criticism of the picture as proof that hunters are intellectually dishonest about hunting and try to whitewash the reality of it, and encourage other hunters to do so." 
    Very well said. 

"We’re our own worst enemies"   How true. 

We do not need anyone else to destroy us; we can do that all by ourselves. 

• swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    Not a hater. Just know a lot of folks that are not anti-hunting, but they sit on the fence and could be swayed by a photo on social media or a video. I'm going positive all the way when talking and discussing hunting with them. I definitely have a few of our personal pics not suitable for their view. I also talked a buddy out of hauling his buck home on the top of the dog box. Legal sure, tasteful on the highway, not so much. Recently we were taking a group pic of a buck kill and one our wives asked me to fix the tongue hanging out of the bucks mouth. I gladly did for her. Everyone out there in the world has an opinion, I just want it to be positive when it comes to hunting. I don't worry about trying to change the antis; only the voting reasonaby sane folks.
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
  • VTXFRENZYVTXFRENZY Posts: 155 Deckhand
    Head shot is the only way to go on a hog. Saves all the meat and is the most humane way in my opinion. 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 764 Officer
    Jharbison said:
    "No hate from me. Ours is a blood sport. An anti could just as easily quote a criticism of the picture as proof that hunters are intellectually dishonest about hunting and try to whitewash the reality of it, and encourage other hunters to do so." 
    Very well said. 

"We’re our own worst enemies"   How true. 

We do not need anyone else to destroy us; we can do that all by ourselves. 

To quote the great philosopher Pogo. I have seen the enemy and it is us
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 502 Officer
    edited December 2018 #26
    To many soft people in society today. 
    People want to eat the beef steak but want to pretend the process to get it to the plate is not real. Or turn the other way

The only one I respect is vegans. Which I understand 
    "Head shot is the only way to go on a hog. Saves all the meat and is the most humane way in my opinion."
    Absolutely, but not always realistic. Often that hog is in heavy brush, or running. Even with a good heart/lung shot some hogs will run. Shoot him in the head... He is down to stay.  
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,438 AG
    I like to shoot them in the back leg, below the ankle.  Just enough to slow them down enough for me to catch them and put a sleeper hold on em, whispering "good night, sweet prince" in it's ear.  It's the most sporting way and seems to improve the flavor.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    edited December 2018 #29
    They would put a real sleeper  'HOLE'  on you!

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,585 Captain
    I like to shoot them in the back leg, below the ankle.  Just enough to slow them down enough for me to catch them and put a sleeper hold on em, whispering "good night, sweet prince" in it's ear.  It's the most sporting way and seems to improve the flavor.
    Ever try suffocating them with a pillow?🤣
    "Ever try suffocating them with a pillow?🤣"   Many times!  I prefer a pillow with  my 'KILLER' catch dog picture on it.