Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

A story: Why you need insurance

2011 Tidewater Yamaha F250 625 hrs.  

My twin brother came in the weekend of November 3rd to run the Lake Work triathlon. He is a greenhorn who has fished on a boat maybe once or twice in his life.  I was excited to put him on some snapper for dinner so we woke early Saturday morning and left Lake Worth Inlet about 7 am.  

The seas were not too bad, calling for 2-3 north wind so the chop outside the inlet was there, but again, not too bad.  We hit a wave, and not a big wave, but one to put a little spray over rails.  My brother lost his balance and started to tumble backwards.  He never went down, no, he caught himself.  You guessed it.  He grabbed the throttle to stabilize himself and we went from 3500 RPMs to hard reverse in a split second.  Immediately the boat went dead.  "Oh no!!!!" was all I could think.  It got started after a dozen tries but the loud clanging stalled after a minute or two and we were dead in the water.  I called my insurance who works with Sea Tow in my policy,  and 20 minutes later we were towed back to Phil Foster.  By the time I got home to wash the boat, I was seeing water, gas and oil slowly dripping off the lower unit, leaving a rainbow in the wet driveway.  

My brother, at this point, really feels like crap for what happened.  After me letting him know it's like an accident in the car, you didn't do it intentionally, the ribbing stated soon after.  So with brotherly love, as he said "I am going to take a shower," of course I said "please don't pull the shower handle out of the wall" in a sarcastic tone.  

He did pretty good in the race and left early Monday morning back to Atlanta.  I called my mechanic who I have been going to for 15 years and took it in Tuesday morning.   When I dropped it my mechanic asks"you have insurance, cause this is usually terminal"? Yes I said.  On Thursday morning I heard back from the shop; broke a crankshaft and it put a fist-size hole in the head.  Catastrophic damage.  

I called my insurance and filed a claim.  The adjuster came out yesterday to take a look after I signed an "authorization to disassemble" so he could look at the damage.  He calls me and introduces himself as the adjuster. His first question is "Where did you buy that boat and when?" (in my head I'm wondering, why is he asking that?)  I tell him. He laughs and says "I was at the helm of that boat for about half the 400 hours before the owner sold it."  Come to find out, he was the best friend of the only previous owner of the boat before me.  He even sent a pic of him with a 40lbs cobia on my boat back in 2012.  Crazy small world.  

He informs me that because I have been a loyal "diamond member" with them for more than 15 years, through 3 boats, and without ever having a claim, the insurance company is going to cut my shop a 14k check within 24 hrs.  The shop will put in a new engine, with all Yamaha parts so I will get a full Yamaha warranty.  I will need to do the "break-in" period cause it's all brand new.  No rebuild, no aftermarket parts.  

And here it comes.....NO DEDUCTIBLE, no charge for the tow. No out of pocket expense and I should get the boat back with the new engine in about 10 days.  WAHOOOOOOO!  It pays to have good insurance.  Loyal and honest history and a good mechanic.    

At the end of the day I called my brother and thanked him for a new engine. But the ribbing will go on for years.  

Replies

• blakhawkdocblakhawkdoc Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Glad everything worked out in your favor. Who do you have insurance with?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,281 AG
    edited November 2018 #3
    He'll never live that down!   You should have him autograph the inside of the cowling though since he's the reason you've got a new motor.   

I always wondered why they don't have a shift lock on throttles from forward to reverse, just a button or something you have to hold down once a shifter is  in neutral to keep this from happening. 

EDIT:  MIne actually did, it was a merc so it had a red lever you pulled up to engage once it was in neutral.   Does Yamaha not have that? 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,403 Captain
    I did similar in my boat...2015 Yammie 4s 250 into reverse at like 4300 I think it was. NO insurance. 12K for new powerhead. (all the garage mechanics that are about to tell me that's too much for a powerhead can go educate themselves.)
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,516 Captain
    Glad everything worked out in your favor. Who do you have insurance with?
     "Diamond Member" is a term Progressive uses.  Just a guess.  Surprised this was covered.  Lucky.
  • BarrellBarrell Posts: 1,259 Officer
    edited November 2018 #6
    ASK KNOT said:

2011 Tidewater Yamaha F250 625 hrs.  

My twin brother came in the weekend of November 3rd to run the Lake Work triathlon. He is a greenhorn who has fished on a boat maybe once or twice in his life.  I was excited to put him on some snapper for dinner so we woke early Saturday morning and left Lake Worth Inlet about 7 am.  

The seas were not too bad, calling for 2-3 north wind so the chop outside the inlet was there, but again, not too bad.  We hit a wave, and not a big wave, but one to put a little spray over rails.  My brother lost his balance and started to tumble backwards.  He never went down, no, he caught himself.  You guessed it.  He grabbed the throttle to stabilize himself and we went from 3500 RPMs to hard reverse in a split second.  Immediately the boat went dead.  "Oh no!!!!" was all I could think.  It got started after a dozen tries but the loud clanging stalled after a minute or two and we were dead in the water.  I called my insurance who works with Sea Tow in my policy,  and 20 minutes later we were towed back to Phil Foster.  By the time I got home to wash the boat, I was seeing water, gas and oil slowly dripping off the lower unit, leaving a rainbow in the wet driveway.  

My brother, at this point, really feels like crap for what happened.  After me letting him know it's like an accident in the car, you didn't do it intentionally, the ribbing stated soon after.  So with brotherly love, as he said "I am going to take a shower," of course I said "please don't pull the shower handle out of the wall" in a sarcastic tone.  

He did pretty good in the race and left early Monday morning back to Atlanta.  I called my mechanic who I have been going to for 15 years and took it in Tuesday morning.   When I dropped it my mechanic asks"you have insurance, cause this is usually terminal"? Yes I said.  On Thursday morning I heard back from the shop; broke a crankshaft and it put a fist-size hole in the head.  Catastrophic damage.  

I called my insurance and filed a claim.  The adjuster came out yesterday to take a look after I signed an "authorization to disassemble" so he could look at the damage.  He calls me and introduces himself as the adjuster. His first question is "Where did you buy that boat and when?" (in my head I'm wondering, why is he asking that?)  I tell him. He laughs and says "I was at the helm of that boat for about half the 400 hours before the owner sold it."  Come to find out, he was the best friend of the only previous owner of the boat before me.  He even sent a pic of him with a 40lbs cobia on my boat back in 2012.  Crazy small world.  

He informs me that because I have been a loyal "diamond member" with them for more than 15 years, through 3 boats, and without ever having a claim, the insurance company is going to cut my shop a 14k check within 24 hrs.  The shop will put in a new engine, with all Yamaha parts so I will get a full Yamaha warranty.  I will need to do the "break-in" period cause it's all brand new.  No rebuild, no aftermarket parts.  

And here it comes.....NO DEDUCTIBLE, no charge for the tow. No out of pocket expense and I should get the boat back with the new engine in about 10 days.  WAHOOOOOOO!  It pays to have good insurance.  Loyal and honest history and a good mechanic.    

At the end of the day I called my brother and thanked him for a new engine. But the ribbing will go on for years.  

Thats great to here but I would take the cash and buy a new motor. Ive never had a rebuild last. You can get a new Suzuki all digital installed for $17,000. Only 3 more grand. The ECM on the Suzuki will not allow that to happen.
    Ultimately you as the captain are responsible for everything that happens on your boat. You brother could have been seriously injured or disabled. Im a PIA with my passengers when fishing. Not so much with friends and neighbors slowly booze cruising .
     I have strict rules in place when fishing. There are so many ways to get hurt fishing. Number one is no booze on the boat. We can booze it up all night once back at the dock. Number two is everyone needs to be secure when I take the throttle up. Ill yell "going up" and then make eye contact with all the guys onboard and have them acknowledge there lines are in ,secure, and they are ready before I hit the throttle. If a newbie doesnt look secure to me I make him a take a seat and reinforce the importance of a two hand grip. Everyone must wear boat shoes. No bare feet or flip flops.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,387 Officer
    Barrell said:
    Ultimately you as the captain are responsible for everything that happens on your boat. You brother could have been seriously injured or disabled. Im a PIA with my passengers when fishing. Not so much with friends and neighbors slowly booze cruising .
     I have strict rules in place when fishing. There are so many ways to get hurt fishing. Number one is no booze on the boat. We can booze it up all night once back at the dock. Number two is everyone needs to be secure when I take the throttle up. Ill yell "going up" and then make eye contact with all the guys onboard and have them acknowledge there lines are in ,secure, and they are ready before I hit the throttle. If a newbie doesnt look secure to me I make him a take a seat and reinforce the importance of a two hand grip. Everyone must wear boat shoes. No bare feet or flip flops.

Good grief Barrell! Do you frequently find your wife rolling her eyes at your petty BS?
    Go ahead and laugh. Between gaffs,hooks,knives,waves,teeth,and slippery decks a boat activly fishing is a very dangerous place to be. I personally know of three people who broke their backs when falling down in boats.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG

Barrell said:
    Go ahead and laugh. Between gaffs,hooks,knives,waves,teeth,and slippery decks a boat activly fishing is a very dangerous place to be. I personally know of three people who broke their backs when falling down in boats.
    You are correct, I personally have several permanent scars and a cracked rib from offshore fishing...
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,281 AG
    I don't drink when i fish either.   But everyone who boats with me (when I had a boat) knew to remain seated at all times when we were on plane.  And whenever i was about to get up on plane I made sure everyone knew it.   Now with a larger boat where staying sitting down isn't always possible I would probably just make sure everyone was braced but even then, you can lose a grip on a rail and slip.   With or without shoes.   I don't think the OP's brother was being careless, it happens.   And when things go south you just hope you can manage whatever crisis crops up. 
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,065 Captain
    I had my boat insured by Progressive a few years back. It got beat up pretty bad against a dock in a bad storm. The adjuster came out, told me to,get three estimates and send them in. I got that done in a couple days and faxed them to the claims department. A week later I had a check for the highest of the three estimates. No,deductible, no out of pocket costs. Six months later someone stole all my electronics off the boat. I reported it to them, and sent them a copy of the police report. One of their people called me, and said they would purchase identical or newest avaliable model for anything no longer made. My stuff was about 4-5 years old at the time. They replaced it with brand new units, with all of them the newest version of the model that as stolen. Again, no deductible or out of pocket costs. All I had to do was remount them. My present boat is under my homeowners policy (old bat boat” and is covered by my homeowners insurance, but when I upgrade, Progressive will be getting my business again.OP glad your brother didn’t get hurt. 
  • justintimejustintime Posts: 57 Greenhorn
    After reading this, I’m thinking about throwing my engines in reverse ;)
  • 20psimr20psimr Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Progressive has my business as well. Had a claim on my previous bass boat, and was insured for "agreed value". Adjuster came out, said yup its totalled and not your fault and we will cut you a check. They picked up the boat and cut my finance company a check, and gave me the remainder which was my down payment on my center console I have now.

I will say this though, my boat is underwritten by Progressive but I went through Bob at http://worldwidemarineins.com he is amazing and got me half of what Progressive was quoting me, even though I have two cars with Progressive as well. I am paying less for my more expensive CC than I was for my bass boat that was straight through Progressive. Higher coverage's too, same deductible. Its amazing what someone who knows the industry can do.
    Chris
    Everglades 223cc
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 303 Deckhand
    You just convinced me to pull the trigger on my insurance quote.  It's only a flats boat with a 50hp E-tech but money is money and a few hundred dollars is worth thousands in the long run. 

Btw, my neighbor just broke his back fishing the oil rigs off of Venice.  Anything can and does happen on the water.  Being safe and prepared is all you can do. 
  • ASK KNOTASK KNOT Posts: 127 Deckhand
    Update:  Repairs in process.  (insurance sent the check to Salyers at the inlet....they haven't been there for 7 years}   Cut another check and now parts are ordered.  Should be a week or so.  Keep you posted.  

Boat insurance is cheap.  I think I pay 400 a year.  Covers tow, stolen, damage and the engine as I posted.  Well worth it.   Over the years I had a 17 ft Mitzi, 20 foot grady white and now the 23 tidewater.  I payed on average 325 per year on the boats I have owned for the last 18 years.  Thats about 6k lifetime.   This claim covered 13.3 k in repairs and the tow.   No out of pocket or deductible and if my premiums go up my brothers paying the difference.  Hehe.  
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 303 Deckhand
    I have a Mitzi actually and the cost was $325 for full replacement on everything.  Thanks for the post, sound advice indeed.