Home Conservation Forums

Deer/Hog hunting from boat in Kissimmee River

th19999th19999 Posts: 252 Deckhand
What is the legality for hunting (bow/crossbow/rifle) from a pontoon boat along WMAs in the Kissimmee River?

Over the weekend in the Basinger area north of Okeechobee City I saw a person on a pontoon boat with tower cruising along the shoreline using a trolling motor while perched with a crossbow on a tower structure?

It seems like that may be illegal using the trolling motor?

Replies

• th19999th19999 Posts: 252 Deckhand
    If this action is illegal, is there a contact (wildlife officer/sheriff) that I can call?
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    edited October 2018 #3
    I believe it is illegal to hunt from any boat/vehicle under type of non-human power. So no boat hunting other than a paddle or oar, etc. No trolling motor, no motor period.

• Shooting from vehicles, powerboats or sailboats moving under power. Motors must be shut off or sails furled, and progress must cease from such motor or sail before taking game.
    • Herding or driving game with vehicles, boats or aircraft.

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,666 Captain
    Was he bowfishing?
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    No not bowfishing. He was perched up in the tower with a crossbow creeping along the waters edge. Maybe next time I see him I will get a picture, or at least the boat number. It was a bit unsettling for some of my guests to see someone creeping along the river like that. 

I can understand if you are bowfishing or gigging or even duck hunting from a boat (in the appropriate area) but stalking large/small game like that disturbed me a bit. I could picture that person stalking along my family property when nobody is around...
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,963 Captain
    edited October 2018 #6
    Maybe they were going to turn off the trolling motor when they saw their prey? Gator hunting perhaps?

He would be breaking the law and armed tresspassing if stalking your land. Another law probably wont make him follow the one he already is willing to break though. I wouldn't be "disturbed" by someone hunting or poaching. Just call the law if you view a violation.
    Anyone have a contact info for a wildlife officer or sheriff for the Okeechobee/Highlands County area north of Okeechobee City?
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 195 Deckhand
    It sounds like a gator hunter to me. Call the FWC violation hotline 888-404-3922 if you really think its someone violating the law. 
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    How's that any diff from hunting out of a swamp buggy?

I think more folks should just worry about what they, themselves are doing.  Saves a headache and those questioning emotions - if you know they are doing something wrong, then call.  If not so sure - give folks a little credit, they might surprise you.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,008 Admiral
    I think he is trying to find out if the guy was doing something illegal by asking all the knowledgeable experts here on the forum, good idea. :)
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
    To clarify: This was going on pretty close to our residence along with others. It was not in a remote area, but along a frequently trafficked run of the river in proximity to a few rural communities.

I realize there is a "time and place" for everything but it seemed a bit off to see someone stalking along the river when you look out from your personal dock. I see no problem if gator hunting, bow fishing, or gigging. 

I am going to speak with a local wildlife officer about this along with other general questions that I have and will report back with answer. 

Thanks for all of your reply's
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    edited October 2018 #13
    Rich M said:

I think more folks should just worry about what they, themselves are doing.  Saves a headache and those questioning emotions - if you know they are doing something wrong, then call.  If not so sure - give folks a little credit, they might surprise you.
    Is a swamp buggy legal for anything but hogs on private land? While moving...
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 195 Deckhand
    Cyclist said:
    Rich M said:

Is a swamp buggy legal for anything but hogs on private land? While moving...
    I dont think its legal to shoot from a moving swamp buggy for hogs either. Youre not likely to be prosecuted for it on private land but you could be. 
    edited October 2018 #15
    You can most certainly hunt from something moving. Harvesting game is where the rule cyclist posted comes into play. 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,457 AG
    I can blow hogs up with tannerite from a top fuel dragster on private land if i choose too.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • woeivwoeiv Posts: 103 Deckhand
    He could certainly have been gator hunting. 
  • osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,378 Officer
    As long as he turns off motor and progress from said motor is done, and he doesn't shoot across private property or swimming game, what law did he break?   Seems maybe you should live and let live. 
    He was operating the trolling motor via remote while he was perched up on his tower. 

FYI: I just received reports that someone shot a doe and left it on my neighbor property over the weekend......
    Seems weird. Did your neighbor report it to FWC? 
    th19999 said:
    He was operating the trolling motor via remote while he was perched up on his tower. 

FYI: I just received reports that someone shot a doe and left it on my neighbor property over the weekend......

That is not illegal.   Once again as long as he turns motor off and motion from motor is over, blast away!

Call law about the doe!

Yes the boat engine (gas outboard) was off. But he was operating the electric trolling motor. Is that legal.

Today I will call and follow up about the doe (more like a large fawn)

Thanks for the responses everyone
    As long as motor has been turned off long enough for motion to stop I believe he is good to go.  So if he pointed bow into shore grass and turned off trolling motor, once stopped FIRE!
    I am not saying I would do it, just that he very likely isn't breaking any law.
  • mike923mike923 Posts: 272 Deckhand
    th19999 said:
    Yes the boat engine (gas outboard) was off. But he was operating the electric trolling motor. Is that legal.

Today I will call and follow up about the doe (more like a large fawn)

Thanks for the responses everyone
    Yes it's legal.  He must stop before he can shoot but hunting while moving is legal.  
    Shooting doe not legal but don't just assume it was the same person.