Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Where are the new posts?

Haven't seen a new discussion/report in some time.  Is no one fishing or has the forum just drifted off into the sunset?  I haven't caught anything lately, have you?
SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?

Replies

• nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 5,050 Admiral
    Bite has been good. Released 30 slot trout yesterday in 2 hours. Put 13 on ice the day before. 

Snook seemed to be shut down...May sneak out and try tonight though. 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,767 Moderator
    I've been hunting. Unsuccessfully as of late.  Did have a bass club tournament Sunday on Henderson.
    I won..  Only had a 7 lb bag.  Looks like I may do a little grouper fishing soon though.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,340 AG
    I have been chasing a new bird dog around. Has interrupted my fishing and bow season. Hopefully will have some rabbit and quail tales in a few weeks.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,405 AG
    I was driving to Clearwater on Saturday and as we went over old Tampa bay to the right just before Big Island we saw tarpon jumping and busting all over the place.  It was white capping and blowing pretty nasty but when a 150lb fish breaks the surface and jumps, you notice.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,967 Captain
    Fishing has been great. I have been told that people are taking the gps coordinates from our pictures to locate where we are catching fish. I'm not sure that is true but I spend too much time searching new water to give my numbers to the same kind of guys that will move in on a spot you are fishing. Cobia are everywhere but most larger fish offshore. Redfish, snook, sea trout are where they always are in cooler weather. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • YakAddictYakAddict Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Fishing has been great. I have been told that people are taking the gps coordinates from our pictures to locate where we are catching fish. I'm not sure that is true but I spend too much time searching new water to give my numbers to the same kind of guys that will move in on a spot you are fishing. Cobia are everywhere but most larger fish offshore. Redfish, snook, sea trout are where they always are in cooler weather. 
    Is it even possible to capture GPS coordinates from a photo?
    YakAddict said:
    Is it even possible to capture GPS coordinates from a photo?
    Answering my own question...

How to See Exactly Where a Photo Was Taken (and Keep Your Location Private)

https://www.howtogeek.com/211427/how-to-see-exactly-where-a-photo-was-taken-and-keep-your-location-private/
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,761 Captain
    I quit posting fishing report. It was a wasted effort as it was pretty much a one way street. I gave lures, methods, basic locations, water temperature, you know, stuff that is in a fishing report. Then I included pictures so people could gps the location (actually I have that turned off) but I did include pictures. It was encouraged and FS put some on the header page if you included details.

Now it's "look at what I caught." Yep...you caught a fish. Anyway.

Hey Dave, heard you moved, what's the  deal?

I saw your Gheenoe the other day so know you are still in the area.

Billy

"And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I fish every weekend, I just don't really post reports anymore.  Partly because it's difficult to post pictures here and partly because this site is so spammy and popup ridden these days.  Anyway, didn't fish this last weekend mostly due to laziness, but I've been having some pretty solid days with a ton of variety. The weekend before last we caught as many reds and trout as we wanted, they were holed up on a negative tide that was one of the lowest I've ever seen.  The week before that I caught a  red/trout/snook slam in 3 casts in one spot before some **** trolled up on top of my spot and caught half a dozen fish out of the exact spot I was fishing.  I bounced and on the run to another spot found a zillion tripletail around a string of shallow crab traps.  I had a blast whipping a ton of them with a fly rod and a small clouser.  Tide was mega high and outgoing by then so I ran to a big oyster bar and stuck a good sized black drum on a jig.  Saw a bunch of others but they were crazy spooky which was weird.  Good day.  Fishing has been decent, but I think the larger reds and trout are mostly still out on the flats and not in the creeks. That will change soon I'm sure.
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,365 Officer
    edited November 2018 #11
    Billy said:
    I quit posting fishing report. It was a wasted effort as it was pretty much a one way street. I gave lures, methods, basic locations, water temperature, you know, stuff that is in a fishing report. Then I included pictures so people could gps the location (actually I have that turned off) but I did include pictures. It was encouraged and FS put some on the header page if you included details.

Now it's "look at what I caught." Yep...you caught a fish. Anyway.

Pretty much the same as Billy's experience. I'll answer questions and make reccomendations in the Boating and General sections, but haven't posted a trip report here in several months now. I always gave out information such as the general area, depth, water temperature, lures used, etc. But I fish soley for the sport of it and rarely keep more than a single fish. I enjoy catching Tarpon, Jacks, Little Tunny, and King Mackerel, as well as the more popular "food fish". I just got tired of all the smart-assed comments such as "if you can't eat it, it isn't worth fishing for". So I'm content to just do my own thing, and not bother to share.

As far as fishing, I've been doing well, and will be out there again tomorrow.

And I have NO problems posting photos from my computer whenever I want.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
    edited November 2018 #12
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,194 Officer
    Maybe FS needs throw the doggies some bones to coax those reports.
    It can get rough on here. newbs get hammered if they depict a fish held incorrectly, say the "wrong" thing, ask a dumb question, etc...
    Today was a slow day for us on the water. Had a joker blow us up 1st thing when no one else was even in sight...work hard for a couple reds, a nice trout, then just went trout fishing. put a nice ding in the prop hitting a rock on the way out at low tide. Came home with a nice fish for dinner. Maybe if we had caught a whole bunch of reds and gator trout a report would be worthwhile. Had not had my boat out since tarpon season. nice day today.

Way to go Jim! 
    edited November 2018 #14
    Don't see it working. Try it on this one that I took today of a rocky area where I released 6 Grouper. Post the Lat/Lon. That should help everyone.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

• Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,777 Captain
    Yak must have gotten my post deleted.  

You can't get GPS information from a picture posted on this or most other forums. A posted picture doesn't contain location information since it is just a link to an image hosted on a server with the properties stripped out in order to conserve space and allow faster loading.
    Doc .... I was pretty sure of that, so I went ahead and posted the picture knowing that my fishing spot was safe. LOL

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,848 Captain
    edited November 2018 #17
    Law enforcement has ways to tell you exactly where that picture was taken with privacy settings on.  People that get paid in electrocurrency can also do the same. 

Post a recent picture of a flock of pintails on public waters and I’ll dm you the numbers.
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,967 Captain
    permit_me said:
    It can get rough on here. newbs get hammered if they depict a fish held incorrectly, say the "wrong" thing, ask a dumb question, etc...
    Today was a slow day for us on the water. Had a joker blow us up 1st thing when no one else was even in sight...work hard for a couple reds, a nice trout, then just went trout fishing. put a nice ding in the prop hitting a rock on the way out at low tide. Came home with a nice fish for dinner. Maybe if we had caught a whole bunch of reds and gator trout a report would be worthwhile. Had not had my boat out since tarpon season. nice day today.

Way to go Jim! 

Sorry about your prop Kevin. Enjoyed our day on the water, worth the trip just to watch the dolphins trapping bait against the shoreline and murderizing them. Pretty trout you boated.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 1,074 Officer
    edited November 2018 #19
    I never made any report for a long time.  I retire now and have some spare time but it take longer to make a report and post pictures.  First you have to download the photos off of the camera, then edit them if necessary.  Third I have to copy and paste them to a host because they will not paste with out using a host,(Facebook) on the report.  I haven't figure yet how to space the photos and tell a little about them between each photo.

I would not of  made a report yesterday if it wasn't for  the rattlesnake .  First reason it take to much time, second I am little embarrass because my catch rarely measure up to anybody else.  Four trout and assorted trash  fish are not much to brag about.  I lost a big grouper just when it was going about to be netted yesterday when my 10 # line snapped after a long battle with this fish. First time I ever hook a grouper in this spot.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,849 Captain
    I for one am sorry to see this Forum getting little attention anymore. We used to have a good group of guys and gals on here who I considered my friends, seems like there's only a handful left and they usually just respond to other's posts.
    I admit that I seldom do anymore except the same (commenting on others) It's not because I have anything against posting, it's just that my life has taken some unfortunate twists and turns over the past couple years and I just haven't been fishing much for one reason or another! I really hope this changes in the near future as I really miss the comradery we used to have on this site!! 
    I used to be a fairly average fisherman who was lucky enough to get out there and catch a fish or two once in a while. But as time passes,  I don't hear from my buddy's anymore wanting to go out to catch a few anymore? Maybe it's out of sight out of mind since I stopped posting photo's of an occasional snook or red on these pages? I know that the only way I can change my lack of fishing and posting is to get up off my fat azzz and get out there!! So here's to seeing Y'all a little more in the near future, hopefully holding a fat snuke or groopa and good luck to all of you!!! Let's stop whining and start posting!!!

Common Louie, let's go put some slabz of joy in the boat?????? It's trolling time!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 968 Officer
    edited November 2018 #21
    Today w

to me seems more like if you’re not in the “in” crowd you get ignored,  i still come on here every night in case someone asks a question i can maybe help with 
    I think this forum is pretty nice to new folks. 

As far as reports go, a lot of us are getting older and don't fish as much as we used to.  We also are getting lazy and it sometimes feels like a lot of work to put together a report.

Social media is killing all of the traditional forums.  It's much easier to post reports and pictures on Facebook or Instagram. That's where most of the younger fisherman are posting reports.  And there are fishing groups on Facebook that pretty much are the same thing as website forums.  I rarely post reports here anymore because by the time I get home after a trip, the guys that I often fish will have already put something up on Facebook. I pretty much only report here if something unusual happens or there is some biological stuff going on that people might find interesting. 

Public fishing forums still have advantages though. It's hard for folks moving into an area to find reports on Facebook or to get access to closed fishing groups.  The public nature of this and the few other remaining fishing forums are accessible to a wider audience. 

As far as spot burning by posting on public forums goes, I think it's overblown. All mangroves look the same and there are hundreds of spots from where you can see the power plant. And as I said, you can't get GPS information from a posted picture unless you are a government agency (or a major hacker) that can do an image match search on private servers. 

Some of the guys who complain most about people stealing their spots from posted internet reports seem to have no problem posting pictures of their boats, which invites people to follow them around. 

Maybe you are right Louie, pains me to say that, there probably are people who enjoy simply looking at the catches and the stories behind them regardless if it's a report or not.

I'll get back on the saddle here and post once in awhile beside just using FaceBook.  I'll still mention lures (hardly ever do bait) and water condition though as it's important too. And as always, I never hesitate to help someone who is civil in their request or fishing buddies who might need help, as others have done for me.

Billy

OK.... Since I went out again today I'll post a report later this evening. Did well!

OK.... Since I went out again today I'll post a report later this evening. Did well!

I don't know Pete, that's two of us agreeing with Louie, it might cause it to go to his head. Especially after winning all those bass tourneys lately.

Billy
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 7,185 Admiral
    I've been here since the get go in 2001. Have checked in daily and posted as well till the last few years due to personal issues. I remember when there was one post every few days. It is slipping, but better than the beginning.

Our first bash was a freaking insane party amongst the young uns. LOL
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,731 AG
    I caught a perfectly fried mullet here today, sides were hushpuppies, slaw, and cheese grits, chased with some tea, all provided by Ms Karen Bell..

If you're anywhere near Cortez I highly recommend it...
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • PicmanPicman Posts: 312 Deckhand
    I got served tilapia at the fish camp restaurant in Tavares represented as Grouper nuggets😡😡😡
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,767 Moderator
    Picman said:
    I got served tilapia at the fish camp restaurant in Tavares represented as Grouper nuggets😡😡😡
    I hate that. At least just tell me what it is. Stopped at a place in Chiefland once and wanted a fish sandwich. The description said "basa". I know what that is and ordered it. Beats getting lied to.
    "You'll get your weather"
    They have been serving basa as triggerfish at the Margarita Grill.  I like basa/pangasius and don't buy the propaganda that they are fed animal waste.  But I hate it when they try to foist it off as something else.  The old Margarita Grill used to serve you pangasius under the correct name. 

Most fried fish served around here seems to be tilapia, which is pretty flavorless. It's easy to tell that it's not grouper.