Home General Hunting

Green Swamp West Hog/Dog Hunt- Hogs what hogs?

2»

Replies

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    not so sure they are a game species
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 4,056 Captain
    edited November 2018 #33
    Regardless of what hogs may or may not be called, they sure are fun to hunt.
    Been hunting ever since the late forties. I have hunted and harvested deer in the snows of Maine; hunted and harvested elk in the tall pines of New Mexico. I have hunted deer & turkey all over Georgia & Alabama. I always come back to Florida hog hunting. 
    "Some hunters love hog hunting above all"    That's me!  
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 2,836 Captain
    Back in the day, Binellishtr was a consummate Tallahassee bar hog hunter.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,441 Officer
    Big Mak said:
    Back in the day, Binellishtr was a consummate Tallahassee bar hog hunter.
    That explains why he says “BOHICA “ on a regular basis.
  • shempshemp Posts: 579 Officer
    FWIW the check station operator is working on the FWC dime but the access restrictions can be credited to the landowner (SWFWMD)

Hog pop has been lower since they started allowing dog hunts and as others have said the management plan (at the least the SWFMD one) aims at controlling/removing 'invasive species' which they specify includes feral hogs.  As others have stated, hog dogging is the best/quickest way to thin out a hog population

I'll see if I can dig up an old GS brochure with minimum size and a bag limit stated for hogs

In the late 90s there were a pile of hogs in there.  There still are, to be sure, but they have a knack for getting back into the really nasty stuff and the road access isn't all that great.  I got a good look at a very large sounder when out there last turkey season.  Sure a couple catahoulas would have bayed up a few out of that pack if they'd been cast in the area.