No Doe harvest in Threelakes

13»

Replies

• binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    Sure do, why this new trend of shutting down hunting, closing doe hunting? Doesnt that raise any eye brows with anyone else.
    I mean if we had facts to go off of, we can hold a much better discussion. But when I hear 3lakes is down in numbers who quantified that before they closed doe?

Did the surrounding land owners get doe permits? More or Less? 

Are the deer more towards the river like they usually are when its dry.... because when its really wet, the surrounding deer move towards higher ground.

I hunted 3 lakes many times, know it and the river very well. Nothing is wrong in 3 lakes, the deer are very patterned follow the vein strands towards the swamps youll see plenty of deer this time of yr and under these dry conditions.

Three lakes deer have always been very nocturnal and move mid day better than early morning... but if we do indeed have a problem there, what are they doing to fix it? How did it come about?

• Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    3 lakes is one of the better staffed WMAs. They conduct wildlife surveys. Ask them for the results that show a decline in numbers. I havent seen them but I do doubt the decision was a knee jerk one. Especially given Morgan's response to the question of why the change in antlerless opportunities was implemented there. People who disagree with reducing the antlerless harvest when the numbers indicate the previous harvest rate is resulting in a declining population aren't doing themselves or anyone else any favors. They're usially the same ones demanding that the FWC should manage the resource and not the hunter. I guess the answer in their mind is to not manage the resource or the resource user.

Maybe we should call it the BOHICA plan!
    Ask Morgan for us if the surrounding land owners had a reduction in antler-less tags... get back to us ASAP thanks
    Still looking for someone else to do for you what you can do for yourself I see.

You're gonna have to keep looking.
    Why dont u contribute something useful?
    Always glad to share what I know, where it can help someone. Also always glad to call out BS (pun intended) when it's called for.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 398 Deckhand
    During archery there. 
    The hunter numbers were way down. Cause no one wanted to come. Due to no doe. 
    But bull creek was jamming. 
    Was nice to have the whole park to ourselves. But during powder. The usual numbers were there 
    edited October 2018 #69
    Bull creek is down the street and they are allowed doe 
    I'd bet that their survey numbers don't show a declining popualtion either.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 398 Deckhand
    If anything the doe harvest numbers will be higher. Due to increase of hunters there. Will see what happens next year as for numbers 
    Agree on both points. Hunter migration from WMAs with less opportunity to nearby ones with more could result in higher antlerless harvest rates than what the population can sustain year in and year out. Not sure if it did or not but the potential exists under current management guidelines. 
    lol, Confucius predicted this long time ago and was said to have helicopters over head
    Is Confucius that guy who always says you can't fix what's not broken while complaining that nothing is ever done right?  If so, that might explain the helicopters.
    just glad u agreed for a change, your coming around lil slowly but starting to understand
    Not likely with your current approach. You're not dead yet though so there's still hope for change. 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,197 AG
    Gritsnhuntin posted the letter response from FWC. Those Hunting Three Lakes complained and received a response to a possible decline in the deer population. 
    I guess those who hunt 3 lakes know how to send coherent e-mails and talk on the phone in ways that FWC appreciates and acts on.....hmmmmm  
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    The Future Of Hunting ...Florida edition..
  • down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,598 Captain
    3lakes has been going downhill since 2003 . The biologist is or was Stephen Glass . Once he took over everything went to crap . Cutting of Oak hammocks , cabbage palm heads , myrtles  on 60 side . Constant crunching and burning palmettos . Has made 3lakes look like a golf course . Its sad what it is now . I started hunting there in the 90s . It was loaded with game . Their plan is to restore it to what it was back in the 50s . A big prairie with no game . Really sad . Emails were sent to FWC and even to our Governor . The cutting stopped for a year and then they came back in full force . 
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
    glad u brought that up, because who is to blame for it? BOHICA 
  • down4dacountdown4dacount Posts: 2,598 Captain
    during turkey season FWC has guys in atv driving around spraying for invasive plants . Come on man cant they wait a few weeks to do that . Nope lets screw peoples hunt up . Gotta love their restoration projects . 
    ShotKam Pro Staff
    Full moons make me crazy and I go out and kill deer . Come to think all moon phases do that to me
    Check out my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/Down4dacount1?feature=mhee
    [IMG][/img]
    ooh geez, your starting to sound like a doom n gloom pointing out these facts... BOHICA
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,044 Officer
    There were 3 spray buggies in 3 lakes parked by the front gate (441) during the muzzle quota. 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,197 AG
    . The biologist is or was Stephen Glass . Once he took over everything went to crap . . Really sad . Emails were sent to FWC and even to our Governor . 

He still is....and good luck......that guy must know where the bodies of the dead underage hookers are buried from someone very high up.....they have even tried to oust him from the INSIDE with no luck....in this case I agree BOHICA  LOL 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • oaksoaks Posts: 105 Deckhand
    The 3 spray buggies were still there this weekend for gun quota. 
    As was 100 atv's driving where ever the hell they felt like going.. Nevermind the "no motor vehicles beyond this sign", well just knock it down and proceed. Been going there for 10 years and just gets worse every year with the atv's.
    Sad, the place used to nice....
    #65 & 66 in at 5:30... 10 point and 6 point & 1 hog taken Saturday. 
  • RockslamRockslam Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    I was out there on my buddies quota saturday, he's the one that got the 10 point.
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,044 Officer
    Rockslam said:
    I was out there on my buddies quota saturday, he's the one that got the 10 point.
    Congratulations! Post up some pictures.

He got it after walking away from his ground blind, he was out there with his 5 year old son and the boy was restless. Once he got back to the truck he looked back down the firebreak to his blind and saw a deer. He grabbed his rifle again and started stalking back down the road about 25 yds when it stepped back out and he saw it was a buck. Said he was shaking so bad he went prone to take the shot. Hit it dead center of the chest/neck as it was facing straight at him, hitting the heart and 1 lung.
    We went back out for the evening sit and close to last light started to drive out. A deer came out into the road and stopped about 250Yds from where we were. I hopped out and saw it was a legal buck but rushed and missed the shot. Don't know how big it was other than a big wide rack. Really wanted that shot back since I rushed, thinking how long would a big buck sit in the road looking at me. But in hindsight it didn't seem to care. Even after the shot it didn't go full out just jump and run.