Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Testing my endurance 11-6-18

mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Senior MemberCitrus CtyPosts: 1,598 Captain
Basically, after being off the water since the bash, I went out with two of my buddies to the 16' range from Homosassa. Had my trolling rods ready with Mann (green) and Yo-Zuri (mackerel color) to 25'. Seas were really co-operating really flat. However while heading west, I noticed immediately floating grass, and it wasn't just sporadic, it was continuous. Made out to the area where I was heading to my marked area. Started trolling, about 3-4mph however, it was a real chore. My regular fishing buddy has a hard tome seeing and the other didn't know what to do. So I had both try their hands at steering the boat straight, well that didn't work out either. So I gave up and tried bottom fishing. We tried various spots, caught many remoras, small mangoes, perch, small grunts , etc. I had free lined a nice Porgy, no takers. I then tried one on a 3oz weighted line, no takers. After a while I was getting tired, headed back to the dock about 1pm. Overall not a bad day, just being out on the water was great. Will be taking a small vacation and will back out in about a week and a half to try again, but further out. Stay safe All. 

Replies

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Senior Member Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,386 Officer
    edited November 2018 #2
    Going farther out yesterday would not have helped much out of Homosassa. The grass was bad out to about 35', and a lot of Sargassum past that. I got grouper in 32' of water, but could only pull one line, and it had to be cleaned constantly. Lots of work! I had some good rocky bottom patches and had to get within a hundred yards and then let a line out and pull the lure across it. Released 6 Gags.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Senior Member Citrus CtyPosts: 1,598 Captain
    Nice fishing. Yea I figured maybe heading out further but I wasn't sure about the amount of grass and how far out it was. Next time out, i'll be heading further out. Thanks Salty 
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Senior Member Posts: 1,074 Officer
    Enjoy your vacation.  :)
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Senior Member Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,981 Captain
    Those kind of days are tough but on the bright side, you still enjoyed being on the water and you knew you were doing all the right things. It does become a REAL chore winding in those deep divers. Better fishing days are coming after the vacation.  B)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,850 Moderator
    Thanks. I did the same yesterday. Grass was sporadic but of course always thickest right over my mark...
    And yes , had a semi newbie with me. will post in a bit.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Senior Member Citrus CtyPosts: 1,598 Captain
    Enjoy your vacation.  :)
    Thanks