Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Homeless People

Was just down in the keys and holy crap for homeless people!  I don't remember that many being down there.  What gives?

Replies

• Lake-LinkerLake-Linker Posts: 150 Deckhand
    I know about one...

Early last October I took a solo motorcycle trip to Minnesota's north shore country. When I was headed home and passing thru Duluth I saw a young male hitchhiker at a freeway onramp. The next morning I saw the same guy at a QuikTrip in Red Wing MN. I stopped to talk to him. I bought him coffee and a couple donuts as that's what I was there for in the first place. He said he'd left Houghton MI in a hurry and that he was headed for the Keys....He was pretty angry that the Red Cross wouldn't accept him as a volunteer to help out in Irma's aftermath but he was determined to go anyway. He had no money. He clearly had anger and drug abuse issues and he said he had a warrant out for him at home.....I told him that I was familiar with the Keys and that on occasion a lone man with money, good credit and a place to stay (and a big black scary motorcycle,lol) is occasionally treated with suspicion. And that was before the storm. IF he was even allowed to get there - with no money and no place to go - he'd be more burden than help. That it might be best to go back to Houghton and fix the problems he had there before becoming a travelling Samaritan.

He started yelling at me,saying that I was as bad as those snobs who rejected him the Red Cross... I wished him luck and hit the road.
  • benwah22benwah22 Posts: 255 Deckhand
    Was just down in the keys and holy crap for homeless people!  I don't remember that many being down there.  What gives?
    Remember that time a Cat 4/5 hurricane came through last year and wrecked half the Keys?  
    Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Shimano
    AFTCO
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
  • HUNTINTHEWILDHUNTINTHEWILD Posts: 332 Deckhand
    Whatever the reason it's unfortunate.  Was a nice place down there.  I would expect that if it were due to the hurricane there would be more than middle aged men....
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,993 AG
    We were down last year and went to the museum on KW to see Robert the Doll, there were probably a dozen vehicles in the parking lot that had people living in them.   You could tell the ones that were there touristing like us and the ones who were sitting in their cars because they had no where to go. 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    There were many, many homes lost to Irma that could not be rebuilt, with the shortage of housing the prices go up eliminating the lower income people to find the housing they once had, pretty simple really.  There were numerous trailers, mobile homes and prefabs that were absolutely demolished. When we could finally get to our home on Big Pine after the storm, the number of  homeless at the camps and shelters was staggering to see.
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,702 Captain
    and it is lo after hurricane
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    bum yelled at u after admitting to active warrants? ida called the kops quicker than the skeets after a sloppy pizza and let hi get 3 hots+kot

28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    BIG WAHOO
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Naw,Piner. I chose to stop and talk with him...Do that with a white guy with dreds and a beard,Charlie Manson eyes and big backpack and you do it at your own risk.

• AOKRVsAOKRVs Posts: 2,053 Captain
    Good must stand up to evil
    This country will be in a lot of trouble if we are afraid to confront bad people
    You don't have to make a citizens arrest but they should be turned in to the law
    Would you turn your back on a lady that gets pushed down as a guy steals her purse?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Marathon, FL -- World Cat 320CC -- Charter Service cheaper than renting

https://www.aokcharters.com/
    573-216-4078

https://www.AOKRVs.com   -- The best prices on the best best brands everyday.

I think they should evaluate all of them.  If a they check out as able to work and function they have to leave and get a job.  If they have something wrong with them there are plenty of places to take them too.  Providing places to sleep where they panhandle just enables it
    The guy I referred to clearly had issues. I talked to him because it was so obvious. I trust any observant LEO would also recognize that...The warrant he spoke of was because of some argument with his parents - it seemed minor. Ya, he spoke of it as if he had no part in it: "not my fault,man". I stopped to talk to him in part because I have some experience working with folks with substance abuse issues.

(If I called the cops on everyone who raised their voice at me my wife would never do my laundry again. lol)

I don't know about people living in cars on KW but I have a little more insight on the guys camping in the mangroves on KL,BPK or in Marathon...or in overgrown lots in Lake City,Ocala or Bradenton. They're from Chicago or Milwaukee or Camden NJ and didn't have a place to live when they got to FL.. 95% of them have an alcohol/drug abuse issue often combined with mental health issues...Commonly in and out of jail... I doubt many of the folks camping in the mangroves within earshot of US1 are "unfortunates" displaced by Irma. They're there because winters in Chicago suck if you're living in an alley.

I occasionally do some "volunteer work" with folks with drug/alcohol abuse issues but that doesn't mean I'm some squishy liberal who thinks it's OK.... An awful-lot of these folks will steal anything that ain't tied down...First time I camped at Bahia Honda one was creeping around the campground..Nighttime fishing from a kayak between the boat launch and the borrow pit on Scout key? There's a light - someone's back there....I'd rather stay at remote WMD campsites than the "crowded' places I stay when I come down but I've got too much stuff. I can't keep it safe and enjoy myself at the same time (can't use a kayak and a motorcycle at the same time,and locking everything up when I leave is a major PITA.)...Friends in LE have warned me that what I would do in northern WI just ain't as safe to do in S FL.

I've found homeless camps within 100yds of the nature trail in 2 FL state parks. They're along the river in my hometown. A property I used to bowhunt? Why bother - it's too close to town. Take 20 steps into the woods to take a leak off the highway near Chiefland? Blue tarps,sleeping bags and empty booze bottles....  I wish those folks would check into homeless shelters but that requires sobriety. I wish some of our misguided NGOs would stop encouraging it by handing out camping supplies to drug addicts. I wish abandoned garbage-pit campsites weren't becoming more and more common just off the road all over this country....AND  wish I could find reliable drug-free employees for the company I help run.

And I wish it weren't raining today so I could be working instead of standing on an internet soapbox.

Oh - and AOKRV - I believe you misinterpreted that situation. Trust me -  I'm quicker to "call the cops"  than most folks. In part because I tend to see more...I won't post any more on the subject - I really don't think this is the forum for  this. I come "here" to find the occasional little nugget of golden fishing info among the chatter - something to help me this catch more fish this winter...OR - for the week my wife will be down - to better entertain her so she doesn't mind the other 5 weeks I'll be there solo (& the week I'll be at Collier Seminole fishing the 10K.)

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    The homeless issue has been bad in the keys since long before the hurricane. I'm down there 5-7 times a year  for work. Its a constant and has been for years.
  • Been working in Key West for two months now. Homeless in numbers I never remember from down there
  • SuperMutuSuperMutu Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Maybe we could smuggle them into Mexico.
  • KillAllCudasKillAllCudas MiamiPosts: 15 Greenhorn
    Snowbirds that lost their wings?
    i kall kops  on all kriminally insane- let them deal w/ it w. their tazors, guns, cuffs
    BIG WAHOO
  • AnchorbaitAnchorbait FloridaPosts: 137 Deckhand
    edited October 2018 #18
    Whatever the reason it's unfortunate.  Was a nice place down there.  

The Keys are still a nice place. I happen to be on the boat most of the time so maybe I don't notice.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,841 Captain
    The homeless issue has been bad in the keys since long before the hurricane. I'm down there 5-7 times a year  for work. Its a constant and has been for years.
    All of South Florida in general!.. I’ve been here in broward county my whole life and have never seen so many homeless. More and more every year.... sad situation!
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,414 Officer
    We split time between Miami and Key Largo and there is no comparison. You don't see panhandlers at every light, and public venue. In Key Largo through Islamorada I've seen no visible signs of the homeless. Yes, there are some authentic Keys people about, but they are a breed apart from the homeless we see in Broward - Miami.
    CaptJ that is a lie!  You are misleading people.

Key West had to build a homeless shelter to get the homeless away from the tourists....

Last time I was down there it was trash everywhere, the water smelt bad, and people were sleeping under bushes.

If you want the tropical experience, IMO, pay the money and go to a protected Island somewhere.
  • JoeBazookaJoeBazooka Posts: 45 Deckhand
    I've been going down to KW since 1987 and there seems to be fewer homeless people now than before.  Can't blame them, if I was in their situation I'd sure rather be in KW than Philadelphia :)
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,993 AG
    I've been going down to KW since 1987 and there seems to be fewer homeless people now than before.  Can't blame them, if I was in their situation I'd sure rather be in KW than Philadelphia :)
    Seems like you could find day labor in Philadelphia easier than in KW.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    I wasn't talking about Key West. I live in the upper Keys and don't go south of Marathon less I need to. Key West just is what it is. But maybe you're right, and should stay way north of here.
    By the way, the Yellowtail bite is red hot on the reef right now.