shooting sticks in the tree stand

TheDude727TheDude727 Posts: 100 Greenhorn
I just bought my first ever shooting sticks and I got them because I think I want to use them in my tree stand while deer hunting.  The shooting rest on my stand is in a place where it doesn't help me at all.  I'm always worried about the movement of the gun when getting to a shooting position after seeing a deer and I feel like the sticks would help me to have my gun resting at a near shooting position and with the 360 degree swivel head on the sticks I bought I should be able to move the rifle with little or no visible movement to the deer.  Anyone else use sticks in the stand?  Have you found it to be beneficial? 

Replies

• awayaway Posts: 337 Deckhand
    I only shoot from a shooting stick. Shooting rails sit too low for me. I use a primos trigger stick that can easily adjust height for different distances. I lean the stick against the rail for extra stability and setup for a shot in my most likely shooting lane.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,750 AG
    I always wondered why people don't attach oar handles to their rails.   It swings, and pivots, you can adjust the height and if you keep it oiled it shouldn't squeak. 
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    Shooting stick in a tree huh? 
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,633 Captain
    Cram your empty beer cans under the rail, raises it up just right. 
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • WhitetailWhitetail Posts: 154 Deckhand
    I use my shooting stick in the stand w me every time i hunt. It really makes for a nice stable rest to shoot off of. It seems like every shooting rail is at the wrong height for me to be accurate and comfortable in taking the shot. If I'm going to carry a shooting stick anyway for travel back and forth to the truck, I might as well carry it up in the stand w me.
  • Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    I got one at 220 yards 2 weeks ago with a trigger stick out of a 2 man ladder with a low, useless rail.  
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
    I dont really have that problem on my lease in the panhandle. I will say whenever I have tough shots I use my bipod. My buddy gave me an old haris bipod and its super helpful. I no longer have to use a rest in order to sight it in. I know you can get bipods that extend like up to 2 feet. Best part is you dont have to worry about losing them because they are always attached to your rifle. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • mattb78mattb78 Posts: 209 Deckhand
    If the deer is far enough away that you need the shooting sticks I don't think a small amount of movement is going to cause you any problems.  Even bowhunters get away with more movement and they are close.

I prefer a treestand with a good shooting rail versus lugging one more piece of equipment into the deer stand.

But it is a GREAT idea to take what you need to make the shot. So many people think they shoot better than they actually can.  I have no such fantasies. A steady rest is imperative to making a quality shot for the vast majority of us amateurs.
    I've spent hundreds of hrs in a portable climber and never wished I had a shooting stick to make a kill.... maybe bring a shooting table up the tree next time?
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,106 Officer
    I've spent hundreds of hrs in a portable climber and never wished I had a shooting stick to make a kill.... maybe bring a shooting table up the tree next time?
    The picture made me laugh! I have a buddy who brings so much crap to the woods, i thought of him right away.
    I was thinking about a Popsicle stick when getting out or falling out? of the stand w a stick? but hey to each their own, cant ever remember missing a deer out of my climber w a gun, never and I shoot free hand, next to a tree, the use of a limb, my climber rail...but the new breed needs gizmos I guess
  • awayaway Posts: 337 Deckhand
    I was thinking about a Popsicle stick when getting out or falling out? of the stand w a stick? but hey to each their own, cant ever remember missing a deer out of my climber w a gun, never and I shoot free hand, next to a tree, the use of a limb, my climber rail...but the new breed needs gizmos I guess
    It's not about needing gizmos it's about using a tool to steady a sshot. The shooting rail on my climber and the stands I sit are too low for me and make for an uncomfortable shot. There's absolutely nothing wrong with trying to increase your odds of making a clean kill.  But we're all still very impressed by your marksmanship... I promise.
  • ibhuntngibhuntng Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    I use a shooting stick everytime I go. Makes for a steady shot. The rails on my double stands suck. 
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,539 Admiral
    I have a Ypod

i have multiple stands 
    not one is the rail worth diddly; all way to low. 

I have a small pack it fits in.  I figure I’m not near the accomplished shooter as most, I owe it to my future dinner to make my crappy shots count. The added weight (whopping 8oz) isn’t an issue for myself 
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button