Home Off Topic

The High Cost of Rising Tariffs

13»

Replies

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,894 AG
     Republicans used to pro free trade. I just hope as a country we can absorb this trade war without causing great economic harm to our current growth rate, which is already starting to stall.
    How is it free trade when China has tariffs?

Captain Todd Approves

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 33,393 AG
    If the consumer is willing to pay a little more with the higher tariffs, raise them more!

It is a hidden tax that will increase government revenue and the consumer doesn't seem to care since they are buying more. I would rather see a tax on imported consumer goods than income as long as it isn't slowing down consumer buying. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    cadman said:
    If the consumer is willing to pay a little more with the higher tariffs, raise them more!

It is a hidden tax that will increase government revenue and the consumer doesn't seem to care since they are buying more. I would rather see a tax on imported consumer goods than income as long as it isn't slowing down consumer buying. 
    A lot of people have no problem with a consumption tax either. Yet the complain about tariffs. 
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    Here is a practical reality of the "trade war" with China". All LED lighting components come from China, regardless of whether the fixture they are used in are built in China or assembled in the USA. American companies have already invested heavily in China factories to make these components. These "jobs" were never here, and are not coming to the US. What is happening is the lighting industry have raised their costs, which has stalled or out right cancelled large and small construction projects due to lighting packages having increased 10-25 %. Other products used in the electrical industry have also raised their prices (rising tide lifts all boats). I won't go into the price of any component made from metal going up, same thing, trade war regarding ferrous metals and steel. I'm seeing this in my industry across the board. Our "economic growth" has been hurt by these tariffs, and it's only going to get worse unless they can come to an agreement regarding trade. No one wins in a trade war. Republicans used to pro free trade. I just hope as a country we can absorb this trade war without causing great economic harm to our current growth rate, which is already starting to stall.
    All LEDs?  lol... dont think so.