Home General Hunting

kill out of pity?

FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
Do I kill this poor guy out of pity if I see him? He looks like he has a broken hip, he is a little skinny and hes missing one antler. He did hang around for an hour and a half before a bigger buck ran him off. The leg looks healed up and he seems to be functioning just fine. He drank water, ate food and was moving around alright but I feel so bad to see him left in that condition.
If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 

Replies

• gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,334 Captain
    HE WILL BE FINE
    living life as i like
  • mossyhorn9mossyhorn9 Posts: 328 Deckhand
    The question is, would it be legal to take him. If his antler is more than 5 inches but less than 10, then he is not legal even during archery.
    You can blame it on my rebel raisin'...
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 504 Officer
    In my 45 yrs of hunting I have seen a few. All had front leg missing. They run like they have six legs. He is eating and drinking so I agree he will be ok, and also agree with mossy that it would not be a legal kill.
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,206 Officer
    @mossyhorn9 @MCSHunter Yeah he looks like he wouldnt be legal to take. I just feel bad for the little dude. I have no idea as to what coulda happened, maybe he got hit by a car. I wont take him then. 
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,439 Officer
    Year and a half old deer. Next year he should be legal. I have killed them missing the front lower leg, I don’t like the shank meat anyway. Oh , and after I shot him , he ran off as fast as any deer I’ve ever shot! They have an amazing will to survive!
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,115 Officer
    Name him Oscar.
    @bowhunter4life Thats actually very relieving. @gritsnhuntin1 Why oscar?
    He was the handicapped  olympian.
    You could also call him lucky.
    You could also call him lucky.
    Idiot got away with murder!
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,952 AG
    Post a pic of your girlfriend next in the form of a yes/no/ maybe type of question..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    And was missing limbs. That was the point.
    And was missing limbs. That was the point.
    Understood......guy is still an idiot!
    Name the buck “peg leg”!
  • awayaway Posts: 337 Deckhand
    Other than the leg he looks perfectly healthy. That injury may be why his antler didn't grow.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,049 Captain
    Had a doe that only had three legs. She lived 7 years. I at least had her on camera that long. Every year she produced twins. The bucks loved her. She was easy to catch. She always had a pass. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 504 Officer
    Pistorius was actually convicted of culpable homicide for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp and received a 5 yr sentence
    edited October 2018 #21
    MCSHunter said:
    Pistorius was actually convicted of culpable homicide for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp and received a 5 yr sentence
    Had to look it up. ... after appeal prosecutors had his conviction increased to murder, he is now serving a 13 year 5month sentence......GOOD!
    happened in 2014.
    edited October 2018 #22
    @gritsnhuntin1 @bowhunter4life I was thinking Eileen "ba dum tss" or bumper because thats probably what he bounced off of.
  • swampwalkerswampwalker Posts: 2,359 Captain
    I'm curious why do folks name deer? Is it something we do with game cams? I just hunt the wonderful things and feel very privileged when I get one.....Hope everyone has a great season!
    The original - "Renaissance Redneck"
    @swampwalker I couldnt tell you why I name deer or anything like that for that Matter. Its just something we do maybe? If i had to take a guess it would probably be because its an identifier and we associate characteristics which helps pick our prey and on top of that, it also gives us something to put on the plaque when we mount the head.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,952 AG
    Ole Spike 
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 1,814 Captain
    Tri pod would be my name for him.
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    Few yrs back we ran a block of sugar cane for over an hr, dropped the whole box out...never saw the hog but we knew one was in there. After 3 dogs came back to the buggy he pops out 20yds from us and has 3 legs, the nub had completely healed over. He was never caught by a dog and We ended up killing him simply because he was headed towards the road and we didnt want the dogs crossing it. Who knows he probably ran in circles inside the block but what a tuff hog w only 3 legs. So kill it if you want the meat and its legal, but dont pity it
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,214 Captain
    edited October 2018 #28
    It's really great that you are asking yourself these questions and thinking deeply about these types of things.  I think you've gotten some great examples of how pity isn't warranted.  If you want to go deeper, consider why you would ever see something in nature as pitiful.  Are you anthropomorphizing? 
    Animals don't have pity and aren't concerned about missing a limb.  Those are human stories.  Animals move on.  With no change in their thinking.  Adapting if need be, to continue doing what they always did, as best as they can to survive.  As you can see, maybe sometimes even better.  I promise you, that deer doesn't feel bad about itself (hint:animals don't tell themselves stories).  No need for you to feel sorry.
    Nothing wrong with the human stories we tell ourselves.  Like naming deer.  And you're having fun with it.  That's good!  Just try not to adulterate the perfection of nature, by imposing your made up stories on it.  Better yet, don't cause YOURSELF unnecessary suffering by telling yourself a false narrative.  And listen, we ALL do it to some extent.  Just try your best not to confuse the two (reality and your story).
    Through the questions you are asking, you are on your way to being aware of it.  The only way to truth.
    Btw, if you ask me, a lot can be said about pitying humans too.  Everyone has access to the joy of life.  No matter the circumstance.  Nearly everyone can enjoy the rising of the sun and it's setting.  The illuminated glow of the moon.  And the spectacular and infinite array of backdrops behind them.  Those things alone.  Shoot, I can sit on a blanket in my urban backyard on a sunny day and be utterly mesmerized by the overwhelming abundance and diversity of insect life and the industry taking place before me.  The shear enormity and wonder that you are even here at all should be enough.  But we tell ourselves stories about why it isn't good enough.  And that is easy to do if you are living with debilitating disease, pain or suffering otherwise.  Very easy.  But still, it's a story that takes you away from the glory of life.  Crazy thing is we choose the story.  Reality stays the same.  I know people in wheelchairs with the best attitudes in the world.  And I know successful, well-to-do people that might end up hanging themselves.  Pity can often be misplaced.  Maybe even always.

• FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,432 Moderator
    edited October 2018 #29
    Had a doe coming into my feeder several years ago that had the right side of her face blown off. Could literally see her jawbones exposed. First pic I got had to be within days of her being shot. She got a little skinny over time but as her face healed, she came back strong. Could have popped her a couple different times (well after she'd healed) but decided she'd been through enough and let her walk. As was said above, they have amazing recuperative powers.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • SoccerFanSoccerFan FloridaPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    God never gave us the freedom to perfrorm a kill...
    Only batshit bearded guy in bathrobe can do it...
    ( i mean, Lebowski)