Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

quality jig heads in bulk

Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 368 Deckhand
I have been going through a crazy amount of jig heads on docks in the river.   I am throwing for flounder and well,  jigs get lost.   I have tried contacting Sure Set, and Slayer without any luck,  i am hoping to buy in bulk and save some cash.   I have been buying the Strike King flats magic with the 3/0 hook and really like those, but they cost me about 1.25 per jig.    If anyone has any ideas i am all ears.   I have been losing as much as 10.00 dollars worth of jigs per trip lately.   

Dane

Replies

• JmacjjsJmacjjs Posts: 24 Deckhand
    I started ordering mine from a guide down near Miami (Bob Lemay).  Shoot him an email and he'll send you a price sheet for his custom jigs. 
    [email protected] 
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,826 Admiral
    Bullet style weight with hook, pinned just as bass fishermen do. Very inexpensive.........
  • Bigfish5Bigfish5 Posts: 368 Deckhand
    bswiv said:
    Bullet style weight with hook, pinned just as bass fishermen do. Very inexpensive.........
    That is actually a good idea,  are you pinning the weight just at the end of the hook?   or are you pinning it up 10 inches above the bait like you would fish a finger mullet?

• bswivbswiv Posts: 7,826 Admiral
    Bigfish5 said:
    bswiv said:
    That is actually a good idea,  are you pinning the weight just at the end of the hook?   or are you pinning it up 10 inches above the bait like you would fish a finger mullet?

Just as if fishing a jog or a Texas Rig Worm.....
  • YakAddictYakAddict Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Here's an idea that may work for you to reduce the # of jig heads lost: stop using jig heads.

Where I typically fish (inshore saltwater) there is grass - and oysters - and rocks. For soft plastic artificials I prefer unweighted or weighted swimbait hooks rigged weedless vs. jig heads. For natural/live baits I prefer a knocker rig + hook vs. jig head.

Lost jig heads are a waste of money. Trying to un-snag jig heads And re-tying replacement jig heads is a waste of fishing time.