Home Off Topic

Propane tank transportation

2»

Replies

• hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,382 Captain
    marathon said:
    34 year employee of a natural gas and for 20 year propane supplier as well. They sell plugs for the valve on the tank called pol plugs. Buy one, plug the tank and make sure the hand valve is turned tightly off. The plug is left hand thread and will stop any leakage. There is no pressure release valve on 20lb cylinders, they do have limiters built in to the valves on newer tanks but they aren't pressure relief regulators. Do the above and secure the tank from rolling or flying around in an accident and be on your merry way. PS, the fried turkey cooker craze is what predicated the newer tanks having BTU limiters built into the control valves. If the flow during usage exceeds a certain amount of BTU use the tank checks itself. Think flow limiter.
    is that you Hank Hill?

I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,415 Admiral
    marathon said:
    34 year employee of a natural gas and for 20 year propane supplier as well. They sell plugs for the valve on the tank called pol plugs. Buy one, plug the tank and make sure the hand valve is turned tightly off. The plug is left hand thread and will stop any leakage. There is no pressure release valve on 20lb cylinders, they do have limiters built in to the valves on newer tanks but they aren't pressure relief regulators. Do the above and secure the tank from rolling or flying around in an accident and be on your merry way. PS, the fried turkey cooker craze is what predicated the newer tanks having BTU limiters built into the control valves. If the flow during usage exceeds a certain amount of BTU use the tank checks itself. Think flow limiter.
    Great post, thanks for the information. 

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 32,734 AG
    marathon said:
     There is no pressure release valve on 20lb cylinders, 
    When did they change the law and why does the fill valve still have the vent hole on the back side for the pressure release? 

It has been 30 years since I did tanks. Back then the valve plugs were required when filling a tank, now they are optional. we were told to never transport in the passenger compartment, but now it is OK.  But I can't see how they get away with not having the internal vent valve on the fill valve like they did in the old days. I know they have the overfill valves and only fill to 15lbs., but the vent valve seems dangerous to remove to me. Does the overfill valve act as a vent valve?

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,982 Admiral
    edited November 2018 #35
    I thought they make some kind of plastic plug that is required to be installed in the fitting in order to transport, that's what I was told once when I got a tank filled but, that was several years ago.

Never mind, see above post.

I think if you leave your windows down you will be fine.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    surfman said:
    I thought they make some kind of plastic plug that is required to be installed in the fitting in order to transport, that's what I was told once when I got a tank filled but, that was several years ago.

Never mind, see above post.

I think if you leave your windows down you will be fine.
    You obviously did not read previous posts as this was addressed earlier
    Deo Vindice
    As I stated in my post.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• HomerSimpsonHomerSimpson Posts: 6,573 Admiral
    you need a proper hazmat placard on the back of your car

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,380 Admiral
    Good God you over thinking this. Tighten the handle, place in a secure location and move on down the road. 

If it leaked, never happened to me you will smell it. I've never even thought about this. What I do think about is if it is rolling around in my truck bed. That's why I put it in the cab.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,430 Admiral
    AC Man said:
    Good God you over thinking this. Tighten the handle, place in a secure location and move on down the road. 

If it leaked, never happened to me you will smell it. I've never even thought about this. What I do think about is if it is rolling around in my truck bed. That's why I put it in the cab.
    This^
    No big deal.... how did you get the tank home in first place?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,555 Admiral

I had the release valve go off from a tank a few years ago while the tank was sitting in the sun for awhile, I would not want that to happen inside of a vehicle.

Like many said, I just store it inside of my vehicle, if it smells I crack the windows open.

AC Man said:

This^
    No big deal.... how did you get the tank home in first place?
    Driving distance is a lot different.  8 minutes to get it home, now I'm considering driving two hours with it.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't even give it a second thought.
    Tight Lines, Steve

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 9,104 Moderator
    Me neither. I've hauled them back and forth from Georgia to Florida and never thought about it. The car's  interior temp is regulated and I take them out when I get there.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,136 Admiral
    If you're not living on the edge

you're taking up to much space
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,617 AG
    edited November 2018 #46
    Look, I have an minuscule X -1000 of winning the Mega Millions, but if you think I'm not buying a ticket...

Hope you have a safe trip KellerC and your questions answered so you don't have to have it in the back of your mind while driving. 

Captain Todd Approves

Yep.  My question has been answered and I appreciate all the help.

-Walter Payton
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    The stink in propane is mercaptan. It’s there for a reason.  
     As others said, throw the bottle in the car and go!