Home Fly Fishing

Fly Fishing Mullet Run

bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 133 Deckhand
Hi Everyone,

I went fishing this past weekend in the residential canals and I was amazed to find hundreds of finger mullet around the dock lights. They were getting harassed from every angle by bluefish, snook, tarpon, and whatever else in the area. I was rewarded for my fishing with 3 catfish and a bluefish...

I found it's really tough to stand out when there's hundreds of 6 inch fish to eat. The slightly stained water didn't help either. I'm thinking a black/purple EP baitfish or a deerhair spun mullet fly could be the ticket.

Anyone fish the mullet run before, any advice?

Replies

• Rich MRich M Posts: 1,326 Officer
    Glow White - Chartreuse - bright orange - if you're gonna stand out stand out.

The mullet usually go thru in schools and the fish blitz the schools - either be on the front line or the back line of the schools.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,378 Captain
    Getting big hungry fish to pay attention to your fly when there's all that bait around getting blown up isn't easy - but it is do-able... For that sort of stuff I usually consider a 10wt to be a lightweight stick - cause we're going to be using big flies... If there's any trick -it's not trying to keep your fly where all that bait is showing... Instead slow way down with a full intermediate (very slow sinking) line and work a big fly as slowly as possible deep - like it was a cripple and easy pickings.....  Really big fish have to do a bit of scavenging to get enough to eat... You might see them blowing up everything in sight - but they'll also pick off stragglers at every opportunity.... There's no one pattern to try - but here's two that have worked for us in the past....

Both of these bugs are in the six to seven inch range and I tie them with wire weedguards since we're fishing them as close to the bottom as possible... If we were down at Flamingo... that fl. green and white Tarpon Snake would be all black... The finger mullet fly doesn't have to be fished deep - but when the bait is thick - hair and feathers just doesn't work very well unless you go downtown... and work as slow as possible to make it an easy target...

Hope this helps...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 133 Deckhand
    Interesting advice thanks guys. Hoping to have another chance at the bait pods soon.
  • GameBXGameBX Thai NguyenPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Thank you. I have found it
    GameBX.Org
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    I use something very similar to Bob's tarpon snake with pretty good results in our surf. Hard to go wrong with a fistfull of hackles tied on gourmet steel.
  • HookIHookI Posts: 107 Deckhand
    Getting big hungry fish to pay attention to your fly when there's all that bait around getting blown up isn't easy - but it is do-able... For that sort of stuff I usually consider a 10wt to be a lightweight stick - cause we're going to be using big flies... If there's any trick -it's not trying to keep your fly where all that bait is showing... Instead slow way down with a full intermediate (very slow sinking) line and work a big fly as slowly as possible deep - like it was a cripple and easy pickings.....  Really big fish have to do a bit of scavenging to get enough to eat... You might see them blowing up everything in sight - but they'll also pick off stragglers at every opportunity.... There's no one pattern to try - but here's two that have worked for us in the past....

Both of these bugs are in the six to seven inch range and I tie them with wire weedguards since we're fishing them as close to the bottom as possible... If we were down at Flamingo... that fl. green and white Tarpon Snake would be all black... The finger mullet fly doesn't have to be fished deep - but when the bait is thick - hair and feathers just doesn't work very well unless you go downtown... and work as slow as possible to make it an easy target...

Hope this helps...
     Instead slow way down with a full intermediate (very slow sinking) line  I have a new 10w , Can you please share the line you use  ?  including sink rate /  Great pics & report thanks 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,378 Captain
    just a full intermediate (these days it's Rio -but Scientific Anglers work as well).  The fly line is spliced to a five foot section of 50lb mono butt section for a 10wt or a six foot section of 60lb mono butt section for a 12wt... Each butt section ends in a surgeon's loop for a quick change leader to be looped to... In very clear water I'll use a 20lb Hard Mason tippet with a 40lb fluorocarbon bite tippet - in murkier waters the bite tippet will be 60lb - in the dark waters of the 'Glades I'll use 80lb fluoro for a bite tippet if I can get away with it...  If there are any big tarpon around (80lbs or better) you'll want that heavier bite tippet... Clear water won't allow it though...

That I know of, all the intermediate lines I've ever fished have the same sink rate... and we slow count them down to near bottom before beginning a retrieve (or you could start early - and the fly will pretty much stay at whatever level you start stripping at..).

By the way... all my butt section to leader splices are doubled nail knots (seven turns each separated by about 1/2 inch) - a single nail knot won't hold well on an intermediate line - they're "slippery"...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666