Are there any Spanish mackerel?

ScotfinScotfin Jacksonville, FLPosts: 6 Greenhorn
They are my favorite fish to catch I've never targeted them in this part of Florida and have been hoping to catch some. I did catch one on the Jax beach pier once but that is it. I am also shore-bound. Any tips?

Replies

• jaxnole23jaxnole23 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Just troll clark spoons in and around jetties and along the beach, have them on the surface as well as on a planer and see what happens. I usually catch them in the spring, summer and fall. Another simple thing that actually works is a cut straw on a hook, you can make them or get them at a tackle store or walmart sometimes. 
  • ScotfinScotfin Jacksonville, FLPosts: 6 Greenhorn
    edited October 2018 #3
    I would do something like that but i don't have a boat.
  • biggamebiggame Posts: 41 Greenhorn
    I always do good this time of year around the Nassau sound bridge. Fish the north side of the new bridge. I get them on finger mullet.
    Thank you.
  • jaxnole23jaxnole23 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Oops, should have read your post closer! So yeah, hit the Nassau sound bridge as biggame said, I catch them in that area frequently. Mullet will work but you could also cast a little clark spoon as well.
    I know I should have asked this earlier, but what is the best tide for mackerel? I have had good luck with outgoing tide when I fished for them in Tampa but I'm not sure if the outflow of fresher water would affect them here.