23 point buck, Martin County

spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,697 Captain
edited October 2018 in General Hunting #1
Oh man, they're gonna hang this guy..  holy smokes!

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 1,697 Captain
    wait a second....
    @ 1:31 in the video
    what the....
  • Scottb226Scottb226 Posts: 235 Deckhand
    spangler said:
    wait a second....
    @ 1:31 in the video
    what the....
    He meant to point out the video was taken 24 hours before. Sucks that a poacher was the one to kill a buck like that
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    Horn envy...  but on a brighter note sure looks like AR's are working there
    BTW, I have a pic of a buck not far from there that is BIGGER much bigger. 
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,044 Officer
    Post it. 
    I have one from a friend who had a picture of the deer when he was in velvet. And another of a deer that made the poached one look small also. It’s amazing deer like that can get that big around here.
    sorry but out of respect for the guys who can hunt it.. aint happening.but if he goes down ill send my pic w a date stamp
  • nofishtodaynofishtoday Posts: 1,274 Officer

MCSO TRACKS MIAMI MAN WHO ILLEGALLY KILLED A POTENTIAL RECORD CLASS 23-POINT BUCK ON STATE PROPERTY IN MARTIN COUNTY

54-year old Mario Palacio had no idea our deputies, who are also avid sportsmen, keep close tabs on the local whitetail deer herd.  The Miami man now faces a number of serious charges after illegally shooting and killing an enormous buck on state property in Indiantown.  (pictured below) 

While on patrol, Sergeant Kevin Kryzda noticed a dark truck parked in a wooded area near a construction site off of Citrus Boulevard.  Sergeant Kryzda could see the driver using a spotlight to illuminate a deer.  As the Sergeant approached, the truck sped off.  Sergeant Kryzda notified Deputy Jason Slay who was near-by, AIR-1, and an agricultural detective for assistance.  A short time later, Deputy Slay spotted Palacio’s truck as he attempted to leave the area.  After Palacio saw the deputy, he pulled over.  Around the same time, AIR-1 spotted a very large antlered deer carcass in the wooded area where the truck was originally spotted.  Deputies determined that the buck was recently shot by what appeared to be a high-caliber rifle.  Inside Palacio’s truck, deputies found hunting gear to include a bow, arrows, spotlight, and a single spent shell casing from a .30-06 caliber rifle, but no rifle. With the assistance of FWC, and use of their specially trained K-9,  investigators located a .30-06 rifle in the area where Palacio was seen.

Mario Enrique Palacio was arrested and charged with Trespass on a Construction Site, and Trespass by Lethal Projectile. Both are felony charges. FWC is also investigating and Palacio is likely to face additional state charges. 

The carcass of the buck is being properly processed and documented as evidence for prosecutorial purposes. The deer meat has been donated to a local facility. A preliminary and unofficial scoring has the deer measured at 205-7/8 inches.  An official Boone and Crockett Club Scoring Professional is scheduled to assess this impressive deer to see where it fits into the state record class.

The Martin County Sheriff’s Office Agricultural Deputies, along with patrol deputies in Indiantown will continue their proactive patrols and remain monitoring the local whitetail herd.

The photo depicting the deer still alive was taken by Sergeant Kryzda just 24-hours prior to being illegally harvested.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,208 Admiral
    Seems like boat thefts and lobster poaching always led back to someone from Miami, unfortunately, it  now includes game poaching also. Nice buck for that far south. Must be some good genes in that locale.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Im  betting this one gets a lot of attention. Hope he get more than the kids who poached in hungry land and burned the check station down.
  • Walker DogWalker Dog Posts: 2,155 Captain
    edited October 2018 #13
    There are good genes just about everywhere in FL. That doesn't mean every deer would be great if it lived long enough and had access to good nutrition. Few of those that do have high antler growth potential are able to express that potential though because, they also need access to good nutrition combined with mature age, to be able to do it.

I saw pics of a couple of similar sized bucks taken by a friend this summer on public land in a different county around there. The property does get hunted but access is pretty difficult to most of it so a fair number reach maturity. Soils aren't sandy on most of it so nutrition is better there than typical for the region too. 
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    I garoontee ya.....there is more to this story,,,but we might not be told due to the agencies involved........racks like that don't grow with out help around here......and deer that are that big are suppose to be smarter than to stand by a road to have their picture took or to alert someone that they hang around the area each nite..
  • FLherritageFLherritage Posts: 219 Deckhand
    I'm going to guess that buck came from one of the many high fences in that area.  Too many kickers and he was to visible for a mature buck that size.
    YUP, lots of big bucks in those areas w hi fences
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,469 Officer
    sorry but out of respect for the guys who can hunt it.. aint happening.but if he goes down ill send my pic w a date stamp
    Can we name him?
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    4WARD said:
    Can we name him?
    Lester
  • bonebone Posts: 1,139 Officer
    Bigger than 207” or whatever he was? Lol
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,451 Captain
    .......and reference to “ Construction “ site...... so typical of Florida Deer country 
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • woeivwoeiv Posts: 92 Greenhorn
    16 foot alligator guy.
  • FlatsMatt96FlatsMatt96 ChuluotaPosts: 1,142 Officer
    Thats just so jacked up I mean. How do you let yourself do that?
    If youre going to burn a bridge, dont just burn it, use C4 and make a statement. 
  • saltyseniorsaltysenior Posts: 868 Officer
    no news, rumors,or other info on this ?????   sure got quite in a hurry.
  • smonksmonk Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Anybody got a pic of the bigger wider buck that was with him. i would love to see him.
    Several people do.
  • Ol MuckyOl Mucky Posts: 5,535 Admiral
    I have one from a friend who had a picture of the deer when he was in velvet. And another of a deer that made the poached one look small also. It’s amazing deer like that can get that big around here.
    Florida has 150’s, 180’s etc and not large tracts not fenced and not just in N Florida either. 
    We don’t hear about them on forums, or  social media and such.
    Some of the guys doing the killing don’t do social media. Others don’t  broadcast it (its Florida, you have a tract like that you’re quiet) 
    But they are out there. Most certain they are out there. 
    I have a much bigger and more powerful button