Home Off Topic

That's appalling to me

2»

Replies

• AaronCannonAaronCannon Northwest ArkansasPosts: 872 Officer
    edited October 2018 #32
    I see both sides, a real service dog is a well trained animal, taught to ignore many of its instincts.
      Most 'service animals', are housepets whose owners are poorly behaved animals, who serve their basest instinct, 'me first'.

That said, ive registered my dog as one, and 'act like a service dog' is a command.
    She doesnt sniff shelves, walks at a close heel, ignores things shed normally chase.

My Mom doesnt need a service dog, but the Vets at the Va love to pet that **** standard poodle. She kept doing what Jerry started, and goes once a week.  And that hospital is a happier place.

This is Daisy at a busy restaurant in irb.
    Other customers didnt know she was there till i walked her out. 
    That said, i laughed at a hijab'd lady who crashed her shopping cart into an endcap running away from her at a local grocery store. My mom is a better person than me.
    The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles.
    Jeff Cooper
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,592 AG
    If you need an emotional support animal to live, then you should stay home.
    Even vets with PTSD?
    Those are trained service dogs.... not someones support squirrel.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,053 Moderator
    edited October 2018 #34
    My wife and I raise puppies for Canine Companions for Independence.  http://www.cci.org/  We get the pups at 8 weeks, keep them for 18 - 22 months.  During this time, we teach them 30 basic commands and socialize them.  This is a big commitment as we go to class twice a month to teach us how to teach the puppy.  When we turn them in, the professional trainers will teach the dogs to open doors, turn on and off lights, pick up a dropped object and other advanced commands.  At 2 - 2.5 years, they are matched with a handicapped person and given to that person for free.  Needless to say, these dogs are very highly trained.  They can be Certified Assistance dogs, Certified Companion Dogs, Teaching Assistance dogs, courtroom dogs, hearing dogs or PTSD dogs. Some don't make it thru training and may change careers as a drug or explosive sniffing dog.   All the dogs are bred in California.  There are 6 regional headquarters around the US and puppy raisers all over the states.  Delta flies the pups from Santa Rosa (National HQ for CCI)  to either the regional HQ's or another airport of the puppy raisers choice.  The first pup we raised was flown to Orlando (Southeast Region HQ) and the last 2 were flown to TIA.
    Here's our current dog, Notch.  Before you ask, the blue band over his nose is called a gentle leader.  It's not a muzzle, it's a training aid and works like a halter on a horse.

• 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,965 Admiral
    Have a gentle leader for our dog. He’s a little wild, very young. The gentle leader brings all that craziness in check. He doesn’t  pull against it and he’s focused when it’s on.