Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Cobia size increased to 36 inches

GOM Fishery Management put out a notice 2 hours ago about the size increase for Commercial and Recreational to start in 2019. Here's the link. "The Council chose to increase the commercial and recreational Cobia minimum size limit to 36 inches fork length. http://gulfcouncil.org/…/gulf-council-suggests-modificatio…/

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,462 AG
    Can't they just say they don't want recs keeping them at all anymore and save everyone the dog and pony show?
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,925 Captain
    I hope this means more cobia get to spawn.....but it really doesnt
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,532 Captain
    On a lighter note: I could see a Company start to sell a new Cobia measuring tool. 😂
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,780 Captain
    We can all see what a tremendous comeback our fisheries have made. Wait a minute.....no they haven't. As far as I can tell, cobia fishing has been pretty consistent. maybe we will just fish for black tips. Faster, stronger and (my opinion) better eating.  Next will come sand trout. Anything over four inches will have to be released, limit of two fish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,079 Captain
    It's only a suggestion now, but I bet it will become the new law. Did you notice they listened to the concerns of a few fisherman. I bet they're from the panhandle. When did listening to fisherman decide what a regulation should be. What happened to stock assessment. Want to help the cobia, stop the kill tournaments in the panhandle.  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,780 Captain
    Agree 100% Ruff One.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Council anticipates that rec fishing would be reduced by 26% while commercial would be about 10%. Equitable, hmm. 
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,076 Officer
    I thought they went through this already in the past year. Cobia was to remain 33 in. but only 2 per boat/ 1 per angler.
    Tripletail went from 16 to 18 inches and still can take 2 per angler, i do believe.

Stop those big tournaments in the panhandle and other gulf states and we'd see an explosion of cobia. The big ones (females) are the big breeders. make a slot from 33 to 36 inches...
    just stop taking away our access to gulf fish!
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,076 Officer
    and make it a gamefish!
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 4,961 Captain
    **** are going to gaff shorts all day. 
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,079 Captain
    Permit Me, those are state regulations, these new ones are federal gulf waters. The state will usually follow the federal ones. We'll see.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,353 AG
    permit_me said:
    and make it a gamefish!
    Why? 
    At two per day for commercial it's just a bycatch, not a targeted species..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 321 Deckhand
    permit_me said:
    I thought they went through this already in the past year. Cobia was to remain 33 in. but only 2 per boat/ 1 per angler.
    Tripletail went from 16 to 18 inches and still can take 2 per angler, i do believe.

Stop those big tournaments in the panhandle and other gulf states and we'd see an explosion of cobia. The big ones (females) are the big breeders. make a slot from 33 to 36 inches...
    just stop taking away our access to gulf fish!
    The charter boats get 4 per day if they run half day trips with different anglers. 

I agree with Amber that a commercial boat would not leave the dock for two fish, they target other fish and catch cobia when they come around the boat. 

A slot lot would work great, who wants to eat a 80 lb cobia, not me. 
    edited October 2018 #15
    ANUMBER1 said:
    The Council anticipates that rec fishing would be reduced by 26% while commercial would be about 10%. Equitable, hmm. 
    yes it's equitable..

your rec landings for 2016 was aprox 450,000 lbs vs the commercial landings of 48,000 lbs..
    That's for the eastern GOM (florida).
    Yes, the new regs were in response to concerns brought about by panhandle anglers (RECREATIONAL)
    why do you even bring us commercials into your overfishing problems?

some of you people really suck.

Not nice Anumber1, I wasn't pointing fingers at you nor any Commercial guys/gals at all. I have upmost respect for your industry. If you want to point fingers, point them correctly at the Fishery Management, who seem to attack commercial fisheries at a given notice as well as at the rec fishery. However using your figures, it's definitely isn't Fair. BTW it's not Equitable all around. Commercials lose $$$ and most recs lose chances on keeper Cobia, especially those who do not enter tournaments or who don't run those big Charter Offshore Companies. 

I will say this, I've been reading many FB pages by various fishing charters, after they hit the MG etc, they load up on fish, there's no way, that these fishermen are not overfishing the area. I think these are the people who should have their own classification and held to the fire so to speak, not the individual reg guys/gals. I'm referring to Charters that take 10 or more people out on one boat. I know some fight for rec fishing, however, they have a motive also, $$$. Have a great day. 

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I bet you the commercial guys aren't gaffing every **** fish that comes to the boat like the rec guys are either.  Last summer I watched some dudes on a deck boat gaff what appeared to  be lots of small fish.  I seem to catch one or two every year that are at the bottom of the slot and have gaff wounds.  Anyway, I agree with Kevin, I think the greatest impact they could have is preventing people from keeping HUGE fish.  Every year there are people out there catching fish 75+ pounds that would have otherwise put a billion eggs in the water.  Maybe they should establish a slot range, say 35 to 40 inches or whatever.  That way they'd get the bonus of genetic diversity when the smaller fish go free AND the bonus of greater numbers of eggs from mature spawning fish.  I think a lot of people really underestimate the amount of catching and keeping that goes on in the recreational fishing world.
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 235 Deckhand
    For what it is worth. I caught my first Cobia this past Friday on spinning tackle meant for Trout . It hit a piece of cut bait and headed for Texas. Guessing that it took 100 yards of line before slowing down and breaking water. I am sure I would over estimate the time of the ensuing battle but ever how long it was, it was shear pleasure , especially when I saw it was a Cobia and not a Shark as I thought . The fact that it was only thirty inches and had to be released didn't reduce the pleasure what so ever . 
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,353 AG
    ANUMBER1 said:
    yes it's equitable..

your rec landings for 2016 was aprox 450,000 lbs vs the commercial landings of 48,000 lbs..
    That's for the eastern GOM (florida).
    Yes, the new regs were in response to concerns brought about by panhandle anglers (RECREATIONAL)
    why do you a s s holes like you even bring us commercials into your overfishing problems?

some of you people really suck.

Not nice Anumber1, I wasn't pointing fingers at you nor any Commercial guys/gals at all. I have upmost respect for your industry. If you want to point fingers, point them correctly at the Fishery Management, who seem to attack commercial fisheries at a given notice as well as at the rec fishery. However using your figures, it's definitely isn't Fair. BTW it's not Equitable all around. Commercials lose $$$ and most recs lose chances on keeper Cobia, especially those who do not enter tournaments or who don't run those big Charter Offshore Companies. 

I will say this, I've been reading many FB pages by various fishing charters, after they hit the MG etc, they load up on fish, there's no way, that these fishermen are not overfishing the area. I think these are the people who should have their own classification and held to the fire so to speak, not the individual reg guys/gals. I'm referring to Charters that take 10 or more people out on one boat. I know some fight for rec fishing, however, they have a motive also, $$$. Have a great day. 

my apologies for being so caustic, i just take umbrage at commercials being blamed for all your management decisions.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I understand, apology accepted, thanks. 
  • YakAddictYakAddict Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    This isn't the first time regs were changed based on rec anglers' concerns (rather than fisheries science, assessment, etc.).
    In my opinion, the reduction of Redfish from 2/day to 1/day in the NW Region was also based on rec anglers' concerns (particularly charters) from the Panhandle area.
    Yep and we have plenty of redfish at least where I fish.
  • YakAddictYakAddict Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Jim311 said:
    Yep and we have plenty of redfish at least where I fish.
    I agree. To my knowledge (please correct me if I'm wrong) before, during and after FWC decided to reduce the daily limit on Reds from 2 to 1 in the NW region, FWC never cited any scientific evidence to support it's decision. 

If there had been scientific justification presented the reduction would have been more palatable for me.
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 235 Deckhand
    Any one know the limit just down the coast in Louisiana ?
    edited October 2018 #24
    There was science that suggested exactly the opposite of what the local guides that attended the FWC meeting said was happening.  I personally don't care because it means a stronger redfish population for a catch and release guy like me, and redfish taste pretty gross to me.  
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral

And you are full of it.

Yes, technically "recreational" but those were the PAID fishing guides and captains that pressured for the new limits.

Not the average Joe. And mullet sucks.