Skip to main content
Home Boating

Sealed size 27 deep cycle batt

HightidesHightides Posts: 12 Deckhand
Looking for info on sealed trolling motor batterys. I have a 247 sportsman with 36 volt system.  They are impossible to check water level without disconnecting and removing. I need new batteries as the previous owner never checked them. Would like to replace with sealed or gel batteries but don't know how good they are. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 
Thanks
Brian 

Replies

• snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,291 Officer
    The agm batteries have a good reputation. Installed two for my trolling motor two years and am very pleased. Purchased mine from Cabelas. There are several good choices of brands. Purchased from Cabelas because they had a good price on sale. https://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=marine+agm+battery&CQ_zstype=REG
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • jpscott1jpscott1 Posts: 30 Deckhand
    Go to Sam's and buy the Duracell Marine AGM deepcycle batteries.  You can see them on the Sam's website.
    Buy the batteries and buy a high quality on-board charger.  Hook everything up, keep them charged, and forget about it for 5-7 years or so.  I have 5 of these on my boats and I have been using them for several years without issue.
  • HightidesHightides Posts: 12 Deckhand
    Thank you for the replies I have a Pro Marine charger which is rated very well Cabela's sells them but it's not Cabela's brand and it works with the self- diagnostic beautifully it's just that the batteries won't come back to a full charge I am going to compare both the Cabela's and the Sam's Club gel batteries and make a decision I get a big discount at Sam's because I work for airport
  • FlecFlec Posts: 734 Officer
    I have been using a maintenance free battery form Walmart for my trolling motor and it is still going strong at the 4 year old mark. It gets charged and used every weekend. I have a Duracell from Sams in my wifes Camry. Also pleased with it.
  • colokayakcolokayak Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I agree with the Sam's Duracell Marine AGM deepcycle batteries.  Seem to be the best return on investment.
  • K-DawgK-Dawg Posts: 258 Deckhand
    x4 on the Duracell AGM. Not gel. Get Group 31s if you can fit them.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 882 Officer
    A month ago I bought 2 Group 31 AGM Duracell's from Sam's for my troller. We'll see how they hold up. My wet cells from Walmart lasted just over 1 year.
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 275 Deckhand
     My boat has three deep cycle batteries and I always buy them from Sam’s club. I don’t buy the glass Matt type because I read that they won’t hold up to the pounding that you get off shore. Frankly, I only average about three years. I just bought one to replace a battery that was only 2 1/2 years old. This battery was problematic just after the warranty expired.
  • petedoggiedogpetedoggiedog Posts: 206 Deckhand
    optima blue top series 31 bats fit in series 27 cases and trays. optimas are not cheap but they last a loooooong time. my series 31s are lighter than other manufacturers 27s.