120 yr old ship wreck Dog Island

saw a shipwreck uncovered by hurricane Michael 

Replies

• seabiscuitseabiscuit Posts: 1,033 Officer
    That is interesting.  A bunch of ship wrecks around the island.  Any other details?

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,294 Captain
    billybob said:
    saw a shipwreck uncovered by hurricane Michael 
    Cool, where about?
    You should have been here yesterday
  • billybobbillybob Posts: 831 Officer
    Had pics on channel 2 news.   Wooden bones of ships left   uncovered by hurricane Michael.    
  • cc13cc13 Posts: 540 Officer
    I read that when they sank, they were on the bay side. Now, apparently they are on the gulf side?  The island has moved?
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,294 Captain
    Anyone have a link?
    You should have been here yesterday
  • AnchorbaitAnchorbait CrawfordvillePosts: 96 Greenhorn
    Would be nice to see them preserved somehow. 
  • MadbeachMadbeach On the riverPosts: 963 Officer
    I went over there on Saturday and checked it out.  There's a couple of boats and an old dock uncovered.  Folks have already started picking pieces off of it.  What are the salvage rights on that?
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,611 Captain
    The island changes drastically with each storm. Its essentially a sand bar. A good friend has a house there and they estimate maybe 30 or 40 more feet(yards?) of beach has been lost since this last storm.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Maybe 6-7 years ago just after a tropical storm or Cat 1 hurricane went ashore around St. George/Dog Island, I found (and reported) a storm exposed shipwreck on the very eastern tip of St.G that turned out to be a windjammer, HMS Fox, wrecked during a storm in 1799. The keel/ribs were made out of our Native Longleaf Pine, and were as sound and rot free as the day installed! 
  • GrumpyDavidGrumpyDavid JacksonvillePosts: 48 Greenhorn
    It happened here on St Aug/Vilano Beach a while back and some historical society and the state of florida laid claim to the remnants.