Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Flamingo Canoe fishing?

Just got a canoe and will be putting a trolling motor on it. I have always been an offshore guy but my son really likes inshore and freshwater fishing. What would be a good place to start working down there to get him on some fish? I am not looking for any particular spots, just general ideas to go. I haven't fished Flamingo in over 15 yrs. 
Big Game Liquors.com :Glass

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,456 Captain
    edited October 2018 #2
    Canoes are fun - but a bit limiting in range and what you can actually do... For your first forays go all the way down to Flamingo and use the outside ramp to launch from.   Once you're on the water and leave the marina head either to the left, towards Joe Kemp key and Christian Point.... or head the other way, towards Bradley key... always staying within sight of Flamingo... All you'll need is a light spinning rod or a fly rod in the 7 or 8wt size range and a few lures or flies...
    Look for moving water and structure since they provide feeding opportunities for all the fish there... 

Once you're comfortable with a few trips under your belt then consider working up back inside instead of out along the coast... A great first trip into the backcountry is to stop at **** Bay Pond, just after you pass Mrazek Pond - almost all the way to Flamingo - Mrazek's on the left - **** Bay Pond is on the right side of the road... You're going to launch your canoe into **** Bay Pond where there's no ramp at all just a grass covered opening and then work your way across the pond (about 300 meters...) then at the back of it there's a narrow opening that will allow you to paddle down it into **** Bay... If you launched at the inside ramp down at Flamingo you'd have to paddle three miles up Buttonwood Canal to get to **** Bay - using **** Bay Pond is much quicker... Once you're in **** Bay stick to the wind sheltered side and work the shoreline - don't bother with anything else... All the fish (small tarpon, not so small snook, averaged sized redfish... are all up under the trees along the shoreline so use soft plastic lures, weedless spoons, etc.  

A few items to bring with you... first is a good chart -the one you want is NOAA Nautical Chart #11433 - to see it online go here... http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11433.shtml   Flamingo to Shark River is the title... But you'll still need a good chart with you on the water since it's awful easy to get "turned around" in the backcountry... The more times you go the more you'll realize how much there is to learn there.

Hope this gets you started - there's just nothing like the 'Glades... The Everglades is not a place to show up in flip flops, shorts, and t-shirts - you'll be much better off with long sleeved shirts, long pants and something to cover your feet... 
    (another of those "ask me how I know moments).  Don't forget your safety gear and a bit more water than you think you need...  At the front gate to the Park they've got a color brochure they'll give you as you pay your entrance fee - as well as a sheet with fishing rules and bag limits if you intend to keep a fish or two... Be careful the place it addicting...

Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,587 Captain
    I have never seen it enforced but fishing is prohibited in C00T Bay Pond. You will also need to have your canoe registered as a power boat with Florida registration numbers displayed on the hull, if you attach a trolling motor to it. (I have seen that enforced)

https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/upload/Fishing Regulations update 08.pdf
    Giimoozaabi
  • tarponbro1tarponbro1 jacksonvillePosts: 296 Deckhand
    Years ago (1999 maybe?) I put my gheenoe in **** Bay Pond and fished around it. Caught a bunch of small snook and a few baby tarpon on fly in a couple of hours. I didn't notice a no fishing sign and I didn't think I was breaking the law. I later saw in the regs that it was a no fishing zone and saw the sign(s) on another trip. I got away with it that time but never pressed my luck there again.
    Is there still a lot of grass in **** Bay? A guy at Orlando Outfitters told me about a year ago there wasn't any left. The whole north and east side used to be covered with grass but there was none to the left of the Buttonwood Canal.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,456 Captain
    In my original post I was only recommending that you launch and cross *oot Bay  Pond to gain access into *oot Bay... The pond is relatively small and not worth working (just my opinion) and it is a "no fishing" zone..  It's main attraction is that by launching there, then paddling across it to the tiny creek that runs into *oot Bay - you're eliminating having to paddle three miles from Flamingo up Buttonwood Canal to get there... Nice when a 400 yard shortcut eliminates three miles of hard paddling....

As far as grass in *oot Bay (rhymes with Boot.... but with a C...) - it comes and goes from year to year and season to season... All of the fishing in **** Bay, as far as I'm concerned is along the shorelines - and for the first fifty feet off the trees no grass ever grows (or at least - not much) so that's why folks refer to the moat (that area right next to a shoreline where nothing grows (you'll find the same situation around every small island (key...) in Florida Bay... 

Don't you just love computer programs that won't allow you to use proper place names so every one can be politically correct....

Our opponents across the world must be rolling on the ground when they hear about our stupidity.... (not to mention our complacency - but that's another item altogether..).

Me,  I came here in 1971 -fresh back from a very bad place -101Abn, 1971....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Almost all of my fishing there was along the shorelines. The exceptions were when I spotted tarpon rolling and/or feeding around the middle of the bay (some pretty big ones in there occasionally) and when we'd find snook lying in the holes in the grass. Oops, too much information!!